SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-11, 07:40 PM   #781
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Finished:

Unrestricted Warfare

Hunt and Kill: U-505 and the U-boat war in the Atlantic

Started:

Silent Running by James F. Calvert Looks to be a great book.

The Groundwork of Practical Naval Gunnery: A Study of the Principles and Practice of Gunnery, and of the Computation and Use of Ballistic and Range Tables

by James Monroe Ingalls and Philip Rounseville Alger

I got these from Amazon. This is a public domain reprint by Nabu. I have a long standing interest in the subject matter, and I was very excited to get this, BUT, the print is hard to read and the subscripts in the equations are too small to make out. What is worse, is that many pages are missing. I am going to try and get a copy from another source. Otherwise, I guess I will have to make do.

Anyone ordering Nabu books be forwarned: this seems to be a common complaint. These books are printed from scans made from library copies and quality is uneven.

Last edited by TorpX; 05-09-11 at 11:15 PM.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 07:57 PM   #782
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Silent Running by James F. Calvert Looks to be a great book.
It is.
You won't be disappointed.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 11:53 AM   #783
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Not about war but important to the story of the submarine is The Terrible Hours by Peter Maas (author of Serpico and The Valachi Papers).

On 23 May 1939, the new fleet boat USS Squalus (SS 192) sailed from Portsmouth, New Hampshire to conduct diving tests. During the first submergance, the main induction valve failed to close and both engine rooms flooded drowning 27 of her crew and the boat sank in 240 feet of water. 33 sailors survived in the forward compartments and this book is the story of their rescue.

Told with the flair of a novelist, The Terrible Hours is very readable but it lacks notes, an index and is about as non-technical as it is possible for a submarine book to be. However, the account of how an officer of vision (LCdr Charles "Swede" Momson) and his invention (the McCann Rescue Chamber) came together to perfom that rescue is worthy of fiction with the advantage of being true.

The book also tells of the recovery of the sunken submarine, itself a significant achievment with 1939 technology.

Squalus would be renamed USS Sailfish and go on to a successful career in the Pacific war.
Old 05-21-11, 03:23 PM   #784
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Just in time for the 70th anniversary, reading Ospreys campaign 232 The Bismarck 1941 - Hunting Germany's greatest battleship.

Couple of days to read this one.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 12:32 PM   #785
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Tom Clancy - Submarine

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 06:40 PM   #786
Thunder
Soundman

Downloads: 182

Just started Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. Nothing to do with the sea, but Vietnam.
So far i am finding it a pretty good read, although i need to brush up on my military hierarchies.

A review
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032903635.html

Will let ya know how it goes.

Before that some good Sci Fi by a British guy called Peter F Hamilton.
His stuff is epic (i mean galaxy encompassing stuff) as well as long reads, with alot of his books going over 1000 pages... and trilogies at that

But i really do love getting into a great book and knowing there is a lot more good stuff to go.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 05:08 PM   #787
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

Clear the bridge by RAdm Dick O'kane. About to finish it (at Formosa strait coming up)
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 06:35 PM   #788
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Finished Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted". Whew...what a read.

Needed some lighter fare...
"Das Boot" for the umpteenth time. About half way through.

On deck is "The Ultra Secret" by F.W. Winterbotham.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 02:22 PM   #789
STEED
Lucky Jack

Uploads: 48

Finished reading..

The German Fleet at War 1939-1945
By Vincent P. O'Hara

Good account of all the surface operations. A little on the sterile side the style of the book but never less a good read.

With the 70th Anniversary of Barbarossa this month I've moved on to another book on this subject, you can never have enough books on this one.

Operation Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East (Cambridge Military Histories)
By David Stahel

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 10:55 AM   #790
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Not naval related but just finished Norman Stone's The Eastern Front 1914-17.

This well researched study on the Russian Army in WW1 shatters the conventional view of what went wrong in the war that doomed the Czar and gave the world its first communist regime.

While the popular image of Russsian soldiers fighting without rifles is accurate on the surface, that picture is woefully incomplete and distorted. The facts are that by all conventional yardsticks czarist Russia became a relative economic powerhouse as a direct result of the war. But this ocurred within a system that rewarded incompetence, where cities starved as excess grain rotted in the countryside, where gold was shipped overseas to pay for contracts that were never filled while war production at home, ammunition, weapons and rations sat unused in magazines and forts rather than going to the combat troops. Where over aged, incompetant generals were continually removed from one command for failure only to be placed elsewhere to repeat the process.

The Eastern Front 1914-17 does not cover the events of the Bolshevik revolution of November 1917 but does show how the fall of the Czar and rise of the Provisional Government really did not lead to any substantive improvements as the army melted away: "voting with their feet" in the famous phrase of Lenin.

A worthy read for anybody with an interest in World War 1, Russia or the Russian Army.
Old 06-26-11, 03:19 AM   #791
Castout
Silent Hunter

Uploads: 6

Military classics' The Korean War 1950-1953, Brian Catchpole.
Old 07-01-11, 03:09 PM   #792
matti95
Loader

Downloads: 41

Just now im reading escape from the deep.
It's the story of USS tangs last mission
And before i read the swedish book havets vargar (sea wolves) I dont know if it has come out on english but i really recommend it
matti95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 10:47 PM   #793
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Just finished Executive Orders by Tom Clancy, now reading Red Rabbit by the same.

(Not reading, listening on an audio book, that way I can work and read at the same time.)

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 11:50 AM   #794
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I just started reading

Business in Great Waters: U-Boat Wars, 1916-45 by John Terraine.

I am only about 100 pages into it. But so far it is a very interesting history of WWI submarine warfare. It goes into nice, cited, detail on the difficulties that Germany had concerning the decision for unrestricted submarine warfare. I did not know there was that much dissent in Germany about this.

It also goes into detail not found in other books on how the decision for unrestricted warfare came about and what the British did to escalate it.

I am only about 1/5th through the book. But if it continues as it started, I am glad I added it to my library.

Good index and nice citations. I like that in a history book.
Old 07-12-11, 05:09 PM   #795
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

I've just started on Norman Friedman's US Aircraft Carriers - An Illustrated Design History. So far, it's a lot more readable than his book on American submarines up to 1945, which I had to read twice because it was so dense and oddly edited.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books