SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-10, 03:16 AM   #1
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
Default New preview and interesting new screens (jeuxvideopc.com 11-02-2010)

Found that site (in french) with a preview (basically it says that the copy they have is full of bugs that need to be addressed to allow enjoy the game), but more interesting are the screens.

They have a lot new screens and some of them showing a bit of crew characteristics, uboat upgrades, map plotting, keyboard funcions, etc. (At least they allow us to open the tubes when we want - there is a key for that)

http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/articles/...e-of-atlantic/

Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 03:19 AM   #2
ReFaN
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101

Cheers o7

Liverpool is my relegion, Anfield is my church. True believers never walk alone.
ReFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 03:21 AM   #3
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Thanks Darkbluesky.

English translation:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...KNTzE6UujL8pQA

Quote:
If you're not claustrophobic, that promiscuity among men does not bother you unduly and, especially, you feel like a captain, then maybe Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic will seduce you.

Quote:
Purists will be in heaven with a ton of parameters to consider: fuel, oxygen level, type of torpedo, engine condition, agitation of the sea, you can control ... CCT (computer data torpedoes), monitor the surrounding area from the kiosk etc..

Quote:
If the mass of bugs, which does not really honor the game, is being corrected by its shelving, Silent Hunter 5 should delight both avid long as the amateur unlit through achieving the hair and rich content at will.
Oh dear.

SH3: buggy at release, and many bugs were never fixed by Ubisoft.
SH4: buggy at release, and wasn't fully patched until 7 months after release.
SH5: ...?

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 02-12-10 at 03:38 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 03:53 AM   #4
Darkbluesky
Sparky

I see that they keep the vertical sync option as in SH3 (I don't recall if SH4 had it), I hope and pray that SH5 works right with 3D Vision.

Ubi has ignored all my (an others) questions about that...If it works with 3D Vision I'll go and grab it at light speed...when they drop DRM (but that's another topic)
Old 02-12-10, 04:24 AM   #5
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-10, 04:29 AM   #6
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Still found another in german http://www.4players.de/4players.php/..._Hunter_5.html

And translated in english
http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=de&tl=en

Not too much new, but still I thought it could be ok to share
Old 02-12-10, 04:44 AM   #7
Sgtmonkeynads
Ships Secretary

Downloads: 614

Unless I read wrong, It says manual torpedo setting is in ! Unless they don't know what their talking about.
But it does say target distance,speed, course, etc can be set by the player !
Old 02-12-10, 10:06 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post

Oh dear.

SH3: buggy at release, and many bugs were never fixed by Ubisoft.
SH4: buggy at release, and wasn't fully patched until 7 months after release.
SH5: ...?
I hope this does not come off sounding too preachy, but when you say "SH3 buggy at release", just what sub game are you comparing it to, OLC?

I mean, I did not considered SH3 "buggy". To me, "buggy" means more than a few serious bugs that affect gameplay.

What is the definition of "buggy" to you? A game with 1 or more bugs? A game with at least 2 bugs?

If we say SH3 was buggy, then what sub game was not buggy? They must ALL be buggy, and if so, then why remark on it?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing this explained
Old 02-12-10, 10:37 AM   #9
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I hope this does not come off sounding to preachy, but when you say "SH3 buggy at release", just what sub game are you comparing it to, OLC?

I mean, I did not considered SH3 "buggy". To me, "buggy" means more than a few serious bugs that affect gameplay.

What is the definition of "buggy" to you? A game with 1 or more bugs? A game with at least 2 bugs?

If we say SH3 was buggy, then what sub game was not buggy? They must ALL be buggy, and if so, then why remark on it?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing this explained
Well let me put it this way:

I bought SH3 in 2005. The first time I got it to run without crashing to desktop within 60 seconds (not an exaggeration) was in 2007. And I was running the game on very robust hardware - an Alienware, in fact, and one that I considered worth its extortionate cost because it was so robust (unlike my previous PCs it ran all of my games flawlessly, except SH3 of course). Even after I got the game running it would still CTD once in a while. Not enough to stop me playing, but certainly enough to make me save often (and make me wary of future releases from the same company).

As for the less serious bugs, yes, all games have those, but some have more than others. It took me months to learn all the necessary work-arounds in SH3...

Remember to flip the torpedo speed setting twice. Remember not to leave an officer in the repair team when you dock. Remember not to use the crew management shortcuts. Remember to put an officer on watch every time you surface. Remember to TC until the stormy weather changes before you save and quit, so as to avoid the stuck weather bug. Remember not to press the depth guage until your crash dive has levelled off. Remember to make sure you manually fire on your first deck/flak gun target, after which you may safely use the "fire at will" command. Remember that when you save the game in port it doesn't save your torpedo loadout. Remember not to save the game when ships are nearby. Remember to save the game as soon as ships are no longer nearby. Mod the "days in base" to zero, and mod the "days to apply an emblem" to 14, and remember to apply an emblem twice before going on patrol, thereby increasing the date by 28 days and avoiding the bug that messes up the date and, by extension, messes up your torpedo loadout as well. And that's just off the top of my head. I've not played for a few months and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

The point is that a lot of small bugs do add up to one big headache.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 02-12-10 at 10:48 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 10:48 AM   #10
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Remember to flip the torpedo speed setting twice. Don't save the game when ships are nearby. DO save the game at every other opportunity. Don't leave an officer in the repair team when you dock. Don't use the crew management shortcuts. Remember to put an officer on watch every time you surface. Remember to TC until the stormy weather changes before you save and quit, so as to avoid the stuck weather bug. Remember not to press the depth guage until your crash dive has levelled off. Remember to make sure you manually fire on your first deck/flak gun target, after which you may safely use the "fire at will" command. Remember that when you save the game in port it doesn't save your torpedo loadout. Mod the "days in base" to zero, and mod the "days to apply an emblem" to 14, and remember to apply an emblem twice before going on patrol, thereby increasing the date by 28 days and avoiding the bug that messes up the date and, by extension, messes up your torpedo loadout as well. And that's just off the top of my head. I've not played for a few months and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

The point is that a lot of small bugs do add up to one big headache.
Very well put. This is why I bitched about the number of lookouts on the bridge Neal. It is just one of those many many small details that contribute to a much bigger headache later.

My point is if the little things, like these, can be prevented with the smallest of effort by the Devs then why dont they just do it from the start? I mean really? It is not that hard to look up facts!
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 10:52 AM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Very well put. This is why I bitched about the number of lookouts on the bridge Neal. It is just one of those many many small details that contribute to a much bigger headache later.

My point is if the little things, like these, can be prevented with the smallest of effort by the Devs then why dont they just do it from the start? I mean really? It is not that hard to look up facts!

Lanz, it ALL sounds easy if you say it real fast. Come on, you ever program a game? It is not as easy as you think.
Old 02-12-10, 10:54 AM   #12
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post

Thanks, but actually I think you're jumping to conclusions with the watch crew. It may be that they only had three people on watch in that screenshot. Or it may be that in SH5 a full watch crew is made up of just three people, which might be a historical inaccuracy but it's not necessarily a bug.
Old 02-12-10, 10:51 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Wow. That wasn't common, though, was it? I never had those problems and I was surprised to hear that you did.
Old 02-12-10, 10:54 AM   #14
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Wow. That wasn't common, though, was it? I never had those problems and I was surprised to hear that you did.
Aside from my 2005/2007 blackout, all of the problems I listed are well documented on the SH3 forum (which is where I learned all the workarounds).
Old 02-12-10, 06:30 AM   #15
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

thanks, dude! nice find. finally there are more and more infos...we all waited for so long. but finally also it seems our fears become true...

the status screens look far to modern...the whole interface is extremly arcade like. and the interior with a lazy crew looks very sterile. first things i would change are:

- more crew members in the boat
- dirty textures
- changing the interface
- creating new status screens

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote