SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-14-17, 03:59 PM   #1
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1
cool 'Rudder amidships' speech?

Does anyone find that when you order 'rudder amidships', the chief engineer would report 'rudder, rudder', or with some mods include sound-adjustments like FOTRS, becomes 'rudder, *blank*'? That's totally ridiculous....
I checked the stock files, there's no speech file that is titled 'amidships' or somewhat like that...So is that an official bug? If so, is there any mod fix it? Or at least, make the chief engineer reports 'rudder zero' instead of hilarious ' rudder, rudder '....
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 09:41 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
Does anyone find that when you order 'rudder amidships', the chief engineer would report 'rudder, rudder', or with some mods include sound-adjustments like FOTRS, becomes 'rudder, *blank*'? That's totally ridiculous....
I checked the stock files, there's no speech file that is titled 'amidships' or somewhat like that...So is that an official bug? If so, is there any mod fix it? Or at least, make the chief engineer reports 'rudder zero' instead of hilarious ' rudder, rudder '....
I've never heard "rudder, rudder". What version and which mods are you running?

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 10:28 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

CapnScurvy has attempted to fix that in Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate. There is a problem with it in stock and a lot of the mods. In some of the mods, things get really weird when you get the repeats, and that's what that "Rudder, rudder" thing is, is the "Rudder _" one after the other, where the character doesn't say anything after the "Rudder" announcement. Those particular sounds are in the Data / Sound / Speech folders, numbered 1-9, most likely at least two of them per folder, oftentimes there's three of them... that's a lot of correcting to do. It takes a patient (and methodical) person to do that...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 01:09 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

If you click on 5d, 22d, or 2d etc 'right' or 'left' he announces those correctly but only says 'rudder' when you order 'rudder amidships'.

As you've seen, 'rudder amidships' is shown in the small message window - which I thought might be a clue.

I looked for it years ago trying to find what called the missing 'amidships' sound file but couldn't find that, even looking in the exe with a hex editor thinking the generated message 'rudder amidships' could be a clue to finding the solution. Now I just live with it.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 03:48 PM   #5
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I've never heard "rudder, rudder". What version and which mods are you running?
Stock verison 1.5, basically using RFB 2.0 with RSRD......

I've noticed that the FOTRS Ultimate project says it's going to solve this problem. I found there is a 'rudder amidships' file in its speech folder. Anyway when I tried to copy the speech file from FOTRSUP overwrite the sound files in RFB (And I'm sure that there's no any other mod which overwrite it again), the guy still reports 'rudder, rudder'....
I suspect that there should be a file somewhere to define which speech file is going to be used in certain reactions.
Old 11-15-17, 05:27 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The SH.SDL may also comes into play on that, if the Capn used a wav file instead of an ogg voice...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 06:54 PM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The SH.SDL may also comes into play on that, if the Capn used a wav file instead of an ogg voice...
He already fixed it for FOTRSU? When I have time I'll search the sdl then...

These game files are difficult to search because of the Eastern European Romanian language thing, crash, crush, etc, and understanding what they are calling various items. Fun.
Old 11-15-17, 07:22 PM   #8
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
All those speech files are in ogg......

I've checked the SH.sdl, it seems a config file for sound effects, not for crew speech
Old 11-16-17, 08:24 AM   #9
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I will try to reconstruct what I did to get a "Rudder Amidships" to work with Fotrs Ultimate. Besides, lending my own voice for the phrase, there are other files needing to be modified. Until I "reconstruct" what I did (believe me, I don't remember what all goes into putting it together), I don't feel comfortable just rattling out an answer.

I'll get back to this soon.

One thing I do remember..... the phrase "Yes Sir" repeating itself, was fixed by increasing the length of the phrase by adding several seconds of silence to it.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 03:21 PM   #10
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I will try to reconstruct what I did to get a "Rudder Amidships" to work with Fotrs Ultimate. Besides, lending my own voice for the phrase, there are other files needing to be modified. Until I "reconstruct" what I did (believe me, I don't remember what all goes into putting it together), I don't feel comfortable just rattling out an answer.

I'll get back to this soon.

One thing I do remember..... the phrase "Yes Sir" repeating itself, was fixed by increasing the length of the phrase by adding several seconds of silence to it.
Looking forward to you guys great works!
Old 11-16-17, 04:32 PM   #11
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I hope this doesn't get TOO technical, but here's how you can get the phrase "Rudder Amidships" into the stock game.

You need to copy the "Data/Sound/Speech/1" folder "ChE_K_Rudder_Amidships.ogg" file from Fotrs Ultimate. Also copy the "ChE_P_Rudder_Amidships.ogg" and the "ChE_S_Rudder_Amidships.ogg". These three sound files are going to be pasted into the "1" folder.....and into the remaining "Speech" folders, "2" through "9". If you don't like my voice, make them on your own.

Next, go to the "Data/Library/AnimGraphs" folder and open the "SO.dat" file with S3D. Under the "StateMachineClass" node you will find "StateEntries [31]"...open it. Here you will find three basic categories for the different game "states" you will find you and your crew in......Stalker; Hunter; Prey. Under each category, open the ...._Idle_Execute_Order parameter, then open the "Conditions [37]"....go to the "[11] = Order" condition. You will find the "Value = Rudder_amidship"....you're in the right "Order".

Now, open the "Actions [1]" heading and you'll fine the stock game has a "Value = ChE_K_,Rudder" as the sound file to play under the "[0] = PlayMsg" parameter. Change it to the following:

Make sure you don't forget to add the "comma" just after the ChE_K_, This is very important! No spaces, just ChE_K_,Rudder_Amidships.

Follow the stock games lead in when to use the different ChE_K; ChE_P; or ChE_S designations within the other two "states" (Hunter; Prey). Although, I believe the stock game only uses the "K" and "P" type of speech for the SO using the Rudder Amidship sound file.

That should do it.....or, you can just play Fotrs Ultimate.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 11-16-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 05:34 PM   #12
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
I hope this doesn't get TOO technical, but here's how you can get the phrase "Rudder Amidships" into the stock game.

You need to copy the "Data/Sound/Speech/1" folder "ChE_K_Rudder_Amidships.ogg" file from Fotrs Ultimate. Also copy the "ChE_P_Rudder_Amidships.ogg" and the "ChE_S_Rudder_Amidships.ogg". These three sound files are going to be pasted into the "1" folder.....and into the remaining "Speech" folders, "2" through "9". If you don't like my voice, make them on your own.

Next, go to the "Data/Library/AnimGraphs" folder and open the "SO.dat" file with S3D. Under the "StateMachineClass" node you will find "StateEntries [31]"...open it. Here you will find three basic categories for the different game "states" you will find you and your crew in......Stalker; Hunter; Prey. Under each category, open the ...._Idle_Execute_Order parameter, then open the "Conditions [37]"....go to the "[11] = Order" condition. You will find the "Value = Rudder_amidship"....you're in the right "Order".

Now, open the "Actions [1]" heading and you'll fine the stock game has a "Value = ChE_K_,Rudder" as the sound file to play under the "[0] = PlayMsg" parameter. Change it to the following:

Make sure you don't forget to add the "comma" just after the ChE_K_, This is very important! No spaces, just ChE_K_,Rudder_Amidships.

Follow the stock games lead in when to use the different ChE_K; ChE_P; or ChE_S designations within the other two "states" (Hunter; Prey). Although, I believe the stock game only uses the "K" and "P" type of speech for the SO using the Rudder Amidship sound file.

I found it!
Anyway my problem with FOTRSU is mainly on there's no OTC omnimeter and range dial which can let me manually input target range into TDC...... I really get used of it and they're necessary tools for me to calculate solutions. I'm trying to put them into FOTRSU, just like what I did to RFB before.....
Old 11-16-17, 07:34 PM   #13
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Default Thank you CapnScurvy

Thank you CapnScurvy.
Old 11-17-17, 09:47 AM   #14
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:

CapnScurvy, is there any chance you could put the speech back in for the "Fire at Will" acknowledgment in FOTARSU? It went away when the multiple "Yes Sir" was corrected. Not a biggie, but it would be nice. It used to come out if you hit the Fire at Will button for the AA guns, both if you quickly clicked on each gun (F11) and on return to the bridge, if you were fast enough between stations. Thanks.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 10:13 AM   #15
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
CapnScurvy, is there any chance you could put the speech back in for the "Fire at Will" acknowledgment in FOTARSU? It went away when the multiple "Yes Sir" was corrected. Not a biggie, but it would be nice. It used to come out if you hit the Fire at Will button for the AA guns, both if you quickly clicked on each gun (F11) and on return to the bridge, if you were fast enough between stations. Thanks.
I can look to see what happened to it. But, lengthening the "Yes,Sir" sound file has no bearing on other sound files like "Fire at will". There has to be some other reason for it not displaying when commanded. I'll see what it does when the command is made. The "Yes Sir" phrase is usually only from the SO officer, the "Fire at will" phrase should come from the Weapons Officer. Two different sources for pharse inignition.

Quote: