SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-07, 10:44 PM   #121
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Currently alternating between Of Ice And Steel and Stalin and the Bomb: The Soviet Union and Atomic Energy 1939-1956.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 01:31 PM   #122
AirborneTD
Engineer

Downloads: 23

Reading a modern sub thriller now, "Dangerous Ground", by Larry Bond. Nice fast read. Excellent.
Old 01-25-07, 05:48 AM   #123
Heer Kapitain
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

I am reading Australian Submarines, A history by Micheal W.D. White
Old 01-28-07, 08:21 PM   #124
blue3golf
Weps

Downloads: 0

Just finished Steel Rain by Tim Ripley. Not a bad read, quick yet in-depth look at SS armor divisions in the West during 44 and 45. Plenty of good pics as well.
blue3golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 06:20 AM   #125
Richo
Swabbie

Default What are you reading right now?

Still trying to get through Clay Blair's Hitler's U-Boat War The Hunters 1939-1942 after 18 months. Have managed to read and finish other books in the mean time, but Clay's book while being a great factual read is so full of information it is a bit heavy going.

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 04:04 PM   #126
flintlock
Ace of the Deep

Currently slowly trudging my way through Norman Davies' Europe: A History. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's actually been a good read thus far.
flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 09:58 PM   #127
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Starting tommorow: U-Boat Commander's Handbook.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 08:25 AM   #128
WOD
Gunner

Downloads: 103

Currently I read "Red Storm Rising" (Tom Clancy) ...in germany the book is called "Im Sturm"...have had finished "Hunt for Red October" (Jagd auf Roter Oktober) 5 days ago

Will be followed from "Das Boot" (have read it 2 times already), "Schlachtschiff Bismarck" (quite old that book from 1960 from Jochen Brennecke) and "Sum of all Fears" (das Echo aller Furcht)
WOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 08:49 AM   #129
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOD
Currently I read "Red Storm Rising" (Tom Clancy) ...in germany the book is called "Im Sturm"...have had finished "Hunt for Red October" (Jagd auf Roter Oktober) 5 days ago

Will be followed from "Das Boot" (have read it 2 times already), "Schlachtschiff Bismarck" (quite old that book from 1960 from Jochen Brennecke) and "Sum of all Fears" (das Echo aller Furcht)
All the old Tom Clancy classics before he plunged downhill.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 12:04 AM   #130
Squires
Swabbie

Just finished reading USS Seawolf by Patrick Robinson. going to read The Shark Mutiny next(again) and then catch up with Robinsons newer books.
Squires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 09:30 AM   #131
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo
Still trying to get through Clay Blair's Hitler's U-Boat War The Hunters 1939-1942 after 18 months. Have managed to read and finish other books in the mean time, but Clay's book while being a great factual read is so full of information it is a bit heavy going.

Yes, it is a bit of a slog, isn't it? Still, the book is full of gems, if you know what to look for. It is *VERY* interesting that a great majority of the successes by boats were 'veteran' commanders and crews. Also interesting is that most of the sinkings of u-boats were inexperienced crews and commanders, a large number of them on their first fiendfarht.

It took me a good three weeks or so to get through it, but that is because it I don't get as much time to read as I used to. Three year old son at home

I just started volume II, "The Hunted". Bigger book, so it looks like it will take me a month or so.
Old 02-09-07, 01:06 PM   #132
BellJack95
Bosun

Downloads: 149

I am currently re-reading Clay Blair Jr.'s Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan. The book overall is very good (although the author does interject some personal biases against certain members of the submarine leadership and sub captains for example) and it has several appendices that provide details on each war cruise, tonnage leaders, sub losses, etc. I recommend it to anyone wanting to get a good feel for this aspect of the war.
BellJack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 03:37 PM   #133
AirborneTD
Engineer

Downloads: 23

Agree 100%. Silent Victory is my favorite Sub book. I'm finally getting back into his first U-boat volume and am just about finished. (had to take a break). I will probably start Vol II (which I already have).

Not sure why, but his Atlantic U-boat campaign was/is a more difficult read for me. I like both theaters. Strange.
Old 02-12-07, 02:33 PM   #134
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Had to put down Blair's first volume of Hitler's U-boat War...couldn't take his antagonistic stance and pooh-poohing of the German war effort any longer. (And I gave it 3/4 of the book.) Blair is more of a bean counter than an historian. Not much emotion here, or any appreciation of the bravery and dedication and sacrifice the Germans experienced, just dry facts and figures presented in prosaic form. A dry, uninspring book, but it remains the high bar because he does present so much information regarding tonnage, patrols, etc.

Reread Das Boot this week and finished it off with the photographic companion also by Buchheim, U-boat War.

Next on the list is Submarine! by Edward L. Beach. I'll get to that later this week. Just from flipping through it doesn't look particularly promising. Beach might be a much better fiction writer than non-fiction writer....but I'm eager to find out.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:35 PM   #135
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneTD
Agree 100%. Silent Victory is my favorite Sub book. I'm finally getting back into his first U-boat volume and am just about finished. (had to take a break). I will probably start Vol II (which I already have).

Not sure why, but his Atlantic U-boat campaign was/is a more difficult read for me. I like both theaters. Strange.
Doesn't surprise me Blair would be more excited in writing about the American effort. I'm actually interested in giving this one a look. I didn't like his take on the U-boat war, but that doesn't mean I won't give him a chance with this theatre of operations....

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books