SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-18, 12:05 AM   #1
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Another Start, Another War; Here We Go Again

Finally solidifying my return to SHIII today, starting my new career. After running shakedown operations in the bay outside Konigsberg as part of the 7th Flotilla, U-50 transferred to the 1st Flotilla, where she was tasked with a patrol in grid AN14, just off the Ornkeys.

Now, me knowing what I knew, I remained on station, doing drills and staying out of contact with all maritime traffic, into September. On the second, we moved towards Scapa Flow, stopping just outside the block ships in the northernmost channel, where Prien and U-47 historically snuck in.

Upon receiving notification from command, we submerged and entered Scapa Flow, checking every so often for patrols and potential targets. The weather and waves, quite horrible the past few days, had relented, making observation easier than anticipated. As the first rays of light peaked over the horizon, U-50 came into view of the harbor. The two largest ships, a troop transport and a modern tanker, were selected as targets, and a salvo of four torpedoes fired. Two hits were scored on the transport,and she went down by the stern. Another hit was scored on the tanker, and she went down after some time. As for the fourth torpedo, it must have run deep and hit a net, or failed to find its target.

The harbor patrols alerted, we slipped away, the enemy never managing to find us despite a good two hours of searching.

Satisfied with a good start to our war, we began making for Brunsbuttle, and in our travels came across three more valid targets; a British large merchant, Granville freighter, and a Polish small merchant. These tallies were added to our score, and with that, we returned home, taking a moment to pass the Laboe memorial to honor our fathers in the Kaiser's Ubootwaffe.

A most satisfactory start to the war, yes?

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 01:01 PM   #2
Walter Kurtz
Nub

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

A job well begun is a job nearly done!