SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-18, 10:49 PM   #1
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Issue With Mods Activating Through JSGME

Heyo folks! Finally got GWX 3.0 up and running again, much to my delight and satisfaction. Also took care of the SH3 install, and was all set to go.

I've activated a few of the mods that come with GWX (Namely, the 'No Medals on Crew', 'Open Hatch', and '18km Atmosphere'.) However, despite Jonesoft reading them as activated, the changes have not occurred in-game yet.

Thanks in advance, and glad to be back!

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 11:25 PM   #2
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

Mods usually need to be activated between missions (i.e. when 'in port'). Also, they need to be placed in the mod folder in a proper file structure; for instance, [mod name] (folder)/data (folder)/ xxxx. Otherwise even though JSGME shows them as activated, the applicable file(s) have been copied to the incorrect locations.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 11:27 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Is your JSGME install pointing to the right game folder? That is: In your SH3 game folder, is there a MODS folder and is your JSGME.exe located in the main game folder? That's how it should be before and after activating the GWX3 mods.

Then, you mean the 16km Atmosphere, not 18...
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 12:07 PM   #4
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

I've got it as mentioned, but the mods still refuse to work. The JSGME.exe is in the main folder, and the MODS folder is where it should be as well, with the mods.

I tried opening JSGME through the exe file as opposed to the desktop shortcut to activate the mods, but to no avail.

Old 07-09-18, 12:38 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptlt.Endrass View Post

I tried opening JSGME through the exe file as opposed to the desktop shortcut to activate the mods, but to no avail.

This should not happen, JSGME should open its window if you launch via JSGME.exe. Your desktop shortcut is likely pointing to another SH3 version. Have you more versions installed? Check the shortcut by right-clicking on it to see where it points. It must point to your current GWX3 install folder.

Do this:
Retry launching the JSGME.exe, if it doesn't work, in your SH3 game folder, delete the JSGME.ini and re-launch the JSGME.exe, activate your mods and launch game. It should work, but the mods you mention are hard to monitor to see their effects, you cannot easily say they don't work... Have you activated a widescreen mod? This one is easy to monitor.

If it works, create a shortcut with JSGME.exe. If it doesn't work... :

Else, something has gone badly in your GWX3 install. Is your game folder protected? You should install SH3 e.g. in c:\games\SH3 which will NOT be a protected folder.
If you have the Steam version, then you must read the stickies, I cannot help you, but I know you must first have the game patched to 1.4b before installing GWX3.0. Steam and SH series fit together like salt and sugar...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-09-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 03:33 PM   #6
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Alright, I honestly have no clue what's happening anymore.

I started a new campaign just now, through SH3 Commander, to see if it worked. I also set it to skip the intros, which it didn't, but the save for my created career was there and it seems to be in order.

I deactivated the GWX mods I was going for, just to see if SH3 Commander alone has any issues. So far, it seems to be working.

Should I just uninstall altogether and reinstall the game into a different folder (Program Files or Games as opposed to Program Files x86)? I never had this issue with my other computer...everything worked quite well.

I was also thinking about trying to download something like a U-boat skin mod, test that out. Worth a shot?

Old 07-09-18, 07:32 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

The modifications by SH3 Commander have NOTHING to do with your mods in JSGME !!

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-09-18 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 07:53 PM   #8
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
The modifications by SH3 Commander have NOTHING to do with your mods in JSGME !!
That I know. I wanted to see if it was an issue with my install of Silent Hunter.

Old 07-09-18, 08:02 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
That I know. I wanted to see if it was an issue with my install of Silent Hunter.

But you won't see that, Commander only reads and changes your savegames in your Document folder, it would also do it if your install is screwed-up.
Have you checked the JSGME shortcut?
Old 07-09-18, 08:07 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

You know you must install special files for GWX3 if you are using the SH3 Commander 3.2, right?
Old 07-11-18, 03:33 PM   #11
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

I downloaded the SH3 Cmdr files from the GWX site page.

The weird thing is, while setting up a campaign, I tuned the settings to my liking, as you would (like getting rid of the fatigue system). Open the game, set up my campaign, which is set up as wanted, and hop into my first patrol.

Seems all is normal, but then I recognize the SH3 Cmdr. settings aren't in effect (i.e, fatigue is still happening).

I think at this point, I'm about to reinstall completely.

Old 07-11-18, 04:49 PM   #12
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:

(...)

I think at this point, I'm about to reinstall completely.

At this point I think that's the best to do, it will save you time. Re-read the install instruction in the GWX manual, as well as the chapter for SH3 Commander, it contains important stuff.
Oh and: if you have the choice, install the game in a folder in C:\ chosen by you, e.g. C:\games\SH3.

Good luck, and check here again if you are not running...
Old 07-11-18, 08:46 PM   #13
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Looks like reinstalling everything into the C:/Games/xxx folder worked...finally got the other mods working. Have to keep that in mind for future issues.

Thank you for all the help Xenon!

Old 07-12-18, 09:17 AM   #14
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Very nice you got it working finally !