SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-16, 10:51 AM   #1
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Icon14 First impressions of alpha demo

I love it!

Only solo play at the mo but I've watched a few vids and can see the massive co-op potential. I could quite happily park my my arse at the wireless for hours punching code and getting quality time with the hydrophones and relaying info, knowing that the rest of the crew is taking care of the boat and watching out for my arse! (or, potentially getting it into danger!)

The graphics are great and the equipment/virtual controls work fine. My only dislike is the rudimentary depth controls (no dive planes) but really this and other control omissions are just an aesthetic issue at this point so it's kind of irrelevant. In fact, when you consider that in most (all?) other sims you simply click/order a depth and it just happens this is still a step up. The point is the player can control depth quite functionally. My only concern would be whether there is provision for the dev's to add components later in the development (it's looking kinda fixed).

Most of the stuff on the sub seems to operate in a fairly historic fashion which is bloody good work for a couple of young guys that don't have a background in subsimming.

There is nothing to be gained from nitpicking realism or wishing for features at this stage. With it's basic design this game seems to provide more realism than any other sim around through it's multi-crew foundation.

@Skvader A couple of observations:

Rotatable interfaces REALLY need to be controlled by the mouse wheel. The current system is onerous and may put people off.

Every reference to 'engine' in the Engine room (except for the compartment name of course) need's to be changed to 'motor'. These English terms are long established and are NOT interchangeable in a submarine environment. I was thoroughly perplexed on stepping into the engine room because of this and it may put other people off.

Is it possible to incorporate minor changes into the demo download before the Kickstarter runs out in two weeks? If so I have another thought; You mentioned that German/Japanese translations would help you reach broader markets. If we could supply those at short notice is it too late to add the text to the demo? Well...actually nevermind. Thinking about it, the tutorial vids would be an issue; anyway, it was a nice thought.

My other issue is a lot of lag, even on the intro and tut vids. Is this an issue or is it just my rig. It's very noticeable in the command room (I suspect that's because of the animated reticule on the periscope) and also the actual preiscope view but disappears in the other stations, even the deck gun with its full external view is fine? I've found adjusting the graphic option has little effect on this. Full graphic options means slightly more lag in command/scope views but still no lag in other stations.

Running 32bit Vista, rig is speccy. (if not a little old )
Old 06-13-16, 12:00 PM   #2
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 62

Cant tell what a speccy is, no clue on actual brand name of motherboard, cpu, ram sizes, and even a plugin sound card enhances speed because it comes with a cpu and doesn't draw from the system cpu. Your rig may differ - by a lot.

You may find me on one of these teamspeak servers:
Subsim.com - subsim.teamspeak3.com
WWII Battleground Europe, Allied, - ts.wwiionline.com:9988
Elite Dangerous, Gamers Cove - 82.21.87.49
Cpt-Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-16, 10:54 AM   #3
troopie
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt-Maxim View Post
Cant tell what a speccy is, no clue on actual brand name of motherboard, cpu, ram sizes, and even a plugin sound card enhances speed because it comes with a cpu and doesn't draw from the system cpu. Your rig may differ - by a lot.

'speccy' is an easy way of saying; 'more than capable of running the demo and so listing it's 'specs' is probably unnecessary at this point until it's looking like it's not a conflicting software issue'.

Not sure why you want the brand name of my motherboard but since you've asked it's 'Gigabyte'. CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz not over clocked, 8 gig DDR5 ram, Nvidia (Asus) GTS 450, 1TB C:/ drive with 477GB free, no sound card; all running Vista service pack 2 with all the bells and whistles enabled (Aero, full animations, sidebar etc.).

I didn't know about the sound-card performance bonus so never bothered with one, thanks for the heads up.

P.s. 3 gig switch has been made.

Last edited by troopie; 06-14-16 at 10:57 AM. Reason: p.s.
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-16, 12:54 PM   #4
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

I see the mention of 3 gig switch. Are you referring to ram, hard drive swap file size, or something else?

I have been building PC's - and/or working with various operating systems for a long time.. quality assurance software tester in real life job as a living.. so my interest in solving issues goes to levels that require checking even the BIOS on a motherboard..

Asking one question for all the details is faster than getting one detail each for 30 separate questions on system specs.. always a good idea when investigation of a PC mystery begins.. the info allows for compatibility checking, cross checking etc..

The first thing that pops out of your description is the fact you use Vista, and because its outdated and no longer supported.. I think it may be one of the first areas to check into. I don't have a machine running Vista at the moment, and if anyone else does, they could shed some light if they also have issues.

Last edited by Cpt-Maxim; 06-14-16 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-17-16, 08:54 AM   #5
troopie
Captain

Sorry mate;

I took your first post as being a little condescending, however, having read your current post I now understand why you'd be a little jaded and why you took my post with a pinch of salt. All good and I appreciate your time (you did take the time to reply after all ).

I was judging by your join date when I mentioned the 3GB switch, my bad. When SH4 and 5 came out and people were running Vista there was a prob with the amount of RAM that windows would allow a program to use, I'm going from (poor) memory here but I believe Vista wouldn't allow a program to use more than 2GB RAM (in the day that was heaps). The 3GB switch upped that to 3GB but took the extra GB off vista.

I just assumed you'd pick up on that; my bad again. SH4 ran fine but for me SH5 wouldn't load all of the GUI and so I couldn't run it. At the time I had 6GB of DDR2. The 3GB switch for RAM, made through DOS, imediately fixed this for me and has been in place ever since. It does seem to hurt Windows performance but it was a fair trade-off.

Quote:
The first thing that pops out of your description is the fact you use Vista, and because its outdated and no longer supported.. I think it may be one of the first areas to check into.
That's what I thought, thus why I didn't launch into spec details.

Last edited by troopie; 06-17-16 at 09:12 AM. Reason: sorry mate
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-16, 03:37 PM   #6
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

One common saying is computer / video cards / are like dog years.. A dog gets 7 years older for every birthday you have in real time.

General info.. this game is designed in the Unity3D engine - I believe it is the latest version, but your video card is 6 years old apparently.. I am running a Nvidia660Ti - on dual core CPU E8400@3.0Ghz and 8Gig RAM with Windows 7 Ultimate ..on Asus P5QC motherboard, not seeing anything seriously wrong..

My video -
Quote:
The GeForce 600 Series is a family of graphics processing units developed by Nvidia, used in desktop and laptop PCs. It serves as the introduction for the Kepler architecture (GK-codenamed chips), named after the German mathematician, astronomer, and astrologer Johannes Kepler. GeForce 600 series cards were first released in 2012.

Where the goal of the previous architecture, Fermi, was to increase raw performance (particularly for compute and tessellation), Nvidia's goal with the Kepler architecture was to increase performance per watt, while still striving for overall performance increases.[4] The primary way Nvidia achieved this goal was through the use of a unified clock. By abandoning the shader clock found in their previous GPU designs, efficiency is increased, even though it requires more cores to achieve similar levels of performance. This is not only because the cores are more power efficient (two Kepler cores using about 90% of the power of one Fermi core, according to Nvidia's numbers), but also because the reduction in clock speed delivers a 50% reduction in power consumption in that area.[5]
Your video card?
Quote:
The GeForce 400 Series is the 11th generation of Nvidia's GeForce graphics processing units, which serves as the introduction for theFermi (microarchitecture) (GF-codenamed chips), named after the Italian physicist Enrico Fermi. The series was originally slated for production in November 2009,[1] but, after a number of delays, launched on March 26, 2010 with availability following in April 2010
One major difference between our cards is marked in red, where your Fermi architexture was outdated by time they released my card two years after, and my card is now approx. 4 years old.

Have you ever run www.3dmark.com benchmarks on it?

It appears to be SLI ready meaning you could run two video cards if the motherboard supports it. You said "Gigabyte" - have the model number also? You may want to double your video card, or consider other more complete upgrades.