SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-09, 05:56 PM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Lots of links are broken

Many links to file front are broken, so it is not possible to download many of the missions offered. Further, the Battle of Suriago Straights is impossible to survive shelling as soon as the game starts, and is a waste of time in my opinion. Also, the palau gauntlet has been crashing my game.

Someone should either clean up the posts that have bad links or take steps to fix the links.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 09:59 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Many links to file front are broken, so it is not possible to download many of the missions offered. Further, the Battle of Suriago Straights is impossible to survive shelling as soon as the game starts, and is a waste of time in my opinion. Also, the palau gauntlet has been crashing my game.

Someone should either clean up the posts that have bad links or take steps to fix the links.
Some missions were written a long time ago and in the meantime Filefront went down for quite a while and people moved files elsewhere. Also FF deletes files after a certain period of time if they are not active. You may also have run into a mission written with a different version of SH4 thus causing crashes.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 01:06 AM   #3
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Peabody strikes again

I figured as much for both filefront and the old posts. I do not know if expired links can be deleted, but I have downloaded what I was able. If you want your butt kicked play the battle of suriago straights.
Old 07-25-09, 04:08 AM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
I figured as much for both filefront and the old posts. I do not know if expired links can be deleted, but I have downloaded what I was able. If you want your butt kicked play the battle of suriago straights.
One problem with SH4 is a delay in displaying messages. I wrote a mission once from Pearl that was suppose to give you a message at the beginning telling you what to do. There was almost a 2 minute delay before the message showed. I think that is what is happening with the mission, you are getting too close to the enemy before the message to retreat is given.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 07-25-09, 08:39 AM   #5
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Well, if any of you writes mission files and want them secured, you may keep them at Silent Hunter Mods Forum.
I do not delete files.

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:42 AM   #6
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Suriago straights

Suriago straights mission. As soon as the screen starts I crash dive and bring the crew to battle stations. 10 seconds later shells start exploding on and near the ship. That impacts and slows down dive time, which gives the Japs more firing time to sink my boat. I have not made it to periscope depth once without major damage and many casaulties. I have survived submerged for 45 minutes once, but by the time I surfaced all the fuel was used up. Then I was sunk by enemy fire.
Old 07-25-09, 12:22 PM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Suriago straights mission. As soon as the screen starts I crash dive and bring the crew to battle stations. 10 seconds later shells start exploding on and near the ship. That impacts and slows down dive time, which gives the Japs more firing time to sink my boat. I have not made it to periscope depth once without major damage and many casaulties. I have survived submerged for 45 minutes once, but by the time I surfaced all the fuel was used up. Then I was sunk by enemy fire.
I know exactly what your problem is. You are playing the mission with an American submarine. If you read the "notes" in the thread, the mission was written to be played with a Japanese Fuso BB. You are putting yourself right in the middle of a Japanese Task Force, So you have Japanese DDs and BBs right on top of you. I'm not surprised you don't last very long.

@Carotio: Thanks Carotio, will keep that in mind if I write any more missions.

Peabody

Old 07-25-09, 01:09 PM   #8
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default ut oh

Figures! Well, it looked like a GATO! Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-26-09, 10:43 PM   #9
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

the simple solution to the Suriago straights mission problem, and others if detected too soon, is to reset your sub height to -17.0 meters so that you are at or just below periscope depth to begin your mission.

you can manually edit the .mis text file to do this with windows notepad or you can use the mission editor to do it. if manually editing the file the sub is almost always about 7/8 ths of the way down near the bottom of the list.
Old 07-27-09, 04:06 AM   #10
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Wester for President.

I would have nominated you for Admiral, but you have achieved that rank. Thanks for the fix.
Old 07-27-09, 08:48 PM   #11
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i have something else for you too, tambor198 gave me a big group of missions to pick from for my GFO mod (the first 15 are in GFO) and i just got his permission to post them all here as a stand alone missions mod.

they are not jsgme ready so you need to know how to install them yourself.

here are 34 very good single missions for sh4, they are for v1.5 but will also work fine for 1.4

i believe they all work great as far as i know but i havent fully tested them all so if anyone finds any minor issues, if you report them to me i'm sure can get them fixed asap.

heres the download: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1263
Old 07-27-09, 11:32 PM   #12
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default back off

hey, back off, Webster. Barbarinna (the cute woman on the torpedo [logo designed by Gunslinger] is fighting with her sister (the skater) to see who gets you first. They used to tell me that I was the only captain for them, but now they say you outrank me, have all the cool connections, and have class!!
Old 10-04-09, 11:22 PM   #13
Starforce2
Planesman

Downloads: 25

I am also looking for missions to post at silenthunterfiles.com Looking for staff to post files too.

Also, if it's crashing, check to see if it has yamato in there, because there was a change from 1.4 to 1.5. I asked about how to fix this and was given this response:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=1#post1063616

Check to see if that's your problem for the crashing mission.
Starforce2 is offline   Reply With Quote