SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-10, 11:13 AM   #1
Nerka
Watch

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Questions about mods

I just started playing SH4 a few weeks ago and became addicted.

Now, I just need to know about the mods available. I've read the description on RSRDC and it sounds interesting. How do I install it (currently running stock game with one patch)?

Also, what exactly is Trigger Maru?

Thanks a lot!
Nerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 01:59 PM   #2
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Overview

Brief overview:

1. To activate a mod, go to SH4 mods worshop forum and open the sticky thread SH4 Popular Mods, etc. ....

2. Find the link to JGSME, download and open it. JGSME is a program. You download it. It stores your mods, which you can then acitvate if you choose to do so. It is very simple to use.

3. As for mods, when you find a mod you want to try out, you download it. Then it can be activated by JGSME. Once activated it becomes incorporated into the game until you deactivate it.

4. How do you activate a downloaded mod via JGSME? It is not hard, but it is difficult to explain without being able to visualize it. That can be done using screen shots. Someone asked this question awhile ago, and one of the replies contained screen shots on how to activate mods using JGSME. Hopefully, a link to that thread or a copy the procedure using screen shots will be included in a reply, as without pictures it is difficult to explain. I am not going to undertake that task. Bottom line, it is not difficult, as I figured it out with a little help from the famous Rockin Robbins, and I was a computer novice at the time.

Trigger Maru Overhauled is a major mod that changes many facets of the game. The changes are listed in the TMO thread in the SH4 mods forum. Its creators have incorporated many mods into one super mod. If you do not want to activate a super mod such as TMO, RFB (Real Fleet Boats) and FOTRS (Fall of the Rising Sun), there are many individual mods to choose from. Webster has a large collection of individual mods that you should look at to get some idea of what modders are capable of. Some mods are not compatible with others. You will pick up basic mod rules to follow as you go.

Version 1.9 of TMO is the most recent version (e.g. TMO 1.9). It is state of the art. It is designed for advanced players who you use manual targeting, but it can be played at any level of difficulty. At 100 percent realism it is a challenge, and the destroyers have ruined many a career.

If you are just starting out, I recommend reading up on and studying the tutorials in the thread in this forum known as the Skipper's Bag of Tools, Tricks, etc. There is a lot to learn. When you get "proficient" at manual targeting, you might want try the Easy Aob mod (runner up for mod of the year, the honor which was awarded to TMO 1.9) and gutted's Solution Solver Program.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 01-19-10 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typos corrected
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 02:36 PM   #3
Nerka
Watch

Thanks!
Old 01-19-10, 03:28 PM   #4
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

I found the links to the screen shots. Below are the links. This should get you going.

To make things simple, I would download one of Webster's individual mods initially. They should load into JSGME without delay due to the size of the mod being activated. Choose a mod to activate that you can observe as you play, such as fewer air patrols better sub marker, better guns, etc.

JGSME--I assume you have downloaded JGSME. Download it to you SH4 main folder. Do not download it into another folder within SH4's main folder. Copy your download folder icon and drag the copy to your desk top so it will be available for easy access. Alternative: download it directly to the desk top.

Mod - When you download a mod, upon opening the download folder you should get a message it will create and insert your mod into MODS folder in SH4 main file. If not, you should create a MODS folder. Thereafter, you can download your mods into the MODS folder. A downloaded mod is usually in a zip format. You will need to get a free program to unzip it (j-zip??).

Read each of the following posts re JGSME which are copies of thse posts: [REL] Trigger Maru Overhauled 1.9
#1808, #1809 , #1811 , #1824, and #1827. These posts deal with a captain who has download a mod, but does not know how to activate it. It covers his situation and how to open the mod downloadedin zipped format into the MODS folder, which is your situation if I am reading you correctly.

Hint: Print the five posts so you have them in front of you. Read the posts in their entirety, so you understand the issues and have an idea of what JSGME will look like when it is opened on the desk top. Then start with posts 1824 and 1827.

The foregoing should explain what JGSME looks like and how to activate a mod. You know you are on the right track when you drag the mod you want open from its location in the MOD file to JGSME on the desk top and the mod's name appears in the right side window of JGSME.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 01-19-10 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added links, etc.
Old 01-19-10, 04:24 PM   #5
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default copy of pm to Nerka

I sent you links and you should be up and running with mods in no time ... well, it may take some time to get your sea legs working with choosing mods, downloading them into the right folders, unzipping them, transferring them to the desktop JGSME program, and activating them, but what the hell, you are a SUBSIM captain. We are hardcore and you will be soon. Welcome aboard.
Old 01-19-10, 04:47 PM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Here is a step by step mod install. It's older, but the steps are right, so when you get to the part to load a mod, just load the mod you want, not the old ones listed.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/5181035206
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 06:00 PM   #7
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default armistead's post

That will do it, if my instructions don't get the job done. What I especially like about it is the second post in the linked thread. It is by lane. Isn't he the captain who put up the post years ago on how to decorate your office with pin ups? That was the funniest post I have ever read, bar none. He even added the Rockettes in place of the crew picture and pinups adorned various pages of the Captain's log! A true sailor! That post should be in the Naval Museum under the subject "Crew Morale." Makes me wish my motherboard had not crashed.
Old 01-19-10, 08:18 PM   #8
Armistead
Rear Admiral

More fun, just make the posters shots of your girlfriend of wife. I converted most of the posters to pics of my wife. All the posters in my sub are of my wife....but only my crew gets to pat her fanny
Old 01-20-10, 12:47 AM   #9
Nerka
Watch

I think this weekend I'll begin downloading and start off with Webster's deck gun mod.

Again, thanks so much for all of the help.
Old 01-20-10, 12:53 AM   #10
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

downloading JGSME, a program to unzip files, and Websters mod should take less than five minutes. If you downloaded a major mod, it takes time to download and to activate. You can test the gun. If you download Rockin Robbins subnuclear gun you can go after battleships. No realistic, but it is one hell of screen show that is impressive if you like fireworks.
Old 01-20-10, 06:16 PM   #11
MikeVictor
Seaman

Downloads: 407
Default Mod incompatability issue?

I am wondering if a mod has caused the following problem for me:

When I try to move the sonar direction dial (the one on the right) it will not move using the mouse on the dial face or by moving the handle below.

I'm using SH4 1.5 with TMO and RSRD and several small mods.

It works on some boats, but not the GATO for example.

Perhaps one of the mods caused the problem??? Any idea on how to reconfig a file so the sonar direction dial setting can be changed manually

Here are the mods I have installed:

TriggerMaru_Overhaul_19
TMO19_Patch_081209
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
hi-res_binoculars
tench class mod
sh4lighthousemod
SH4 Authentic Flags Mod
Slow Smoke v3
sergei's skinpack v1
Optics2 over TM
GreenLamp
Dark Recognitionmanual
Radio RAK-7 (CND-46155)
TMO17_19_different_smoke
TMO17_19_different_smoke_SAP05
TMO17_19_different_smoke_Websters_Maneuver
jimimadrid's_shinyborder_Hud
Webster's Better Sub Marker
Webster's Smaller Rain for TMO
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
Webster's Smaller Clear Message Box for Stock v1.5
TABLE MAP 1,3
GATO BLACK HI-RES V1.0
S-CLASS BLACK HI-RES V1.0
SALMON HI-RES BLACK V1.0
HI RES RED FIN BALAO
FooBor's TAMBOR HEAVY WTH HI-RES V1.0
FooBor's SARGO HEAVY WTH HI-RES V1.0
FooBor's PORPOISE HEAVY WTH HI-RES V1.0
BALAO BLACK HI-RES V1.0
Webster's New sonar view for v1.5
Webster's Free Camera and Scope Fix for v1.5
Webster's Reduced Radio Traffic
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix
Webster's Real Lifeboats Fix for v1.5
Webster's Easy to Read Game Text
Webster's Better Air Patrols
Webster's Better Mouse Arrow v2
EAXsoundsim_with_WebstersManeuver_TMO19
More contrast for the Design Instruments

Mike
MikeVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 07:59 PM   #12
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default MikeVictor

wow, how did the previous post end up in this thread? This is LOT of mods!! Some must duplicate TMO. As to your question, it is WAY beyond me, except to say a mod can screw up another mod if it installed after it. If that is the case, then you can try to isolate the mod causing the problem by disabling all mods except TMO and checking the radar dial upon reinstalling each one.
Old 01-20-10, 08:53 PM   #13
Armistead
Rear Admiral

I don't mind stacking mods, but that's mod soup. Many aren't for TMO and others are included in TMO tuned to the sensors, why the ones loaded aren't.

Fine to load all the subs, but they run one at a time and I prefer to do so.

Several are OK. What you may not notice is a difference in how planes and dd's attack, with mods affecting sensors, you'll lose the hard dd's and planes of TMO.

Good Luck...
Old 01-20-10, 09:44 PM   #14
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I don't mind stacking mods, but that's mod soup. Many aren't for TMO and others are included in TMO tuned to the sensors, why the ones loaded aren't.

Fine to load all the subs, but they run one at a time and I prefer to do so.
Armistead, your post was not intended for me, but I had trouble understanding the portion quoted.
Old 01-24-10, 09:50 PM   #15
Nerka
Watch

Default SCAF and RSRDC?

I found two mods I'm interested in; SCAF and RSRDC (RSRDC only, no TMO or RFB). But an hour of searching just confused me so I return with another question.

Are there any versions of RSRDC and SCAF that are compatible with each other?