SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-10, 09:29 AM   #2101
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 21
MAD gear

Hello
BadKarma1001 "How deep do i have to go for not be spotted by planes"
lurker_hlb3 "PBY5A are equipped with "MAD" "
---------------------------------
The function, then, of airborne MAD equipment is to detect the submarine-caused anomaly in the earth's magnetic field. Slant detection ranges are on the order of 500 meters from the sensor. The depth at which a submarine can be detected is a function both of the size of the submarine and how close the sensor is flown to the surface of the water.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/fun/part09.htm
This 500 m detection range is for after war MAD gear.
lurker what range are you using in OM?
P.S The Japanese Navy first employed an Airborne Magnetic Detecting instrument in antisubmarine warfare during the middle of 1944. The instrument had an effective range of 150 meters under average conditions and 250 meters under ideal conditions
Q. What was the best height for your aircraft to fly when using the MAD?
A. Expert pilots flew at 10 meters; ordinary pilots flew at 50 meters.
Q. What was the range of detection from these heights?
A. Under average conditions trained personnel could detect submarines at the depth of 150 meters from a plane flying from 10 to 50 meters above the surface. The radius range of detection in other direction was approximately 150 meters. However, experienced pilots with equipment in excellent condition and good operating personnel could detect a submarine at a maximum depth of 250 meters.
http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/USSBS/IJO/IJO-48.html

Last edited by Captain von Keldunk; 01-15-10 at 09:42 AM.
Captain von Keldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 11:15 AM   #2102
BadKarma1001
Mate

Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
PBY5A are equipped with "MAD"

and

Read Item 4 in the readme in the first post of this thread

and

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ge#post1176320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain von Keldunk View Post
Hello
BadKarma1001 "How deep do i have to go for not be spotted by planes"
lurker_hlb3 "PBY5A are equipped with "MAD" "
---------------------------------
The function, then, of airborne MAD equipment is to detect the submarine-caused anomaly in the earth's magnetic field. Slant detection ranges are on the order of 500 meters from the sensor. The depth at which a submarine can be detected is a function both of the size of the submarine and how close the sensor is flown to the surface of the water.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/fun/part09.htm
This 500 m detection range is for after war MAD gear.
lurker what range are you using in OM?
P.S The Japanese Navy first employed an Airborne Magnetic Detecting instrument in antisubmarine warfare during the middle of 1944. The instrument had an effective range of 150 meters under average conditions and 250 meters under ideal conditions
Q. What was the best height for your aircraft to fly when using the MAD?
A. Expert pilots flew at 10 meters; ordinary pilots flew at 50 meters.
Q. What was the range of detection from these heights?
A. Under average conditions trained personnel could detect submarines at the depth of 150 meters from a plane flying from 10 to 50 meters above the surface. The radius range of detection in other direction was approximately 150 meters. However, experienced pilots with equipment in excellent condition and good operating personnel could detect a submarine at a maximum depth of 250 meters.
http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/USSBS/IJO/IJO-48.html
Now i am looking sheepish!
I wasn`t aware that MAD was already used in WWII!
Thx for the heads up on my other "issue", too bad about the XXI and XXIII boats! Makes them somekind of redundant!
Old 01-15-10, 11:46 AM   #2103
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

The end of the war in '44 and '45 are just that the end. Its sheer misery compounded by your eventual death. OM brings that to a brutal reality in SH4. But just for kicks factor this in; the Allies know when you leave port, where you are going and what grid you are patrolling. They know everything because they can decipher every chit-chat session the Nazi's had with Bdu. So if you are out patrolling and you happen to run into a lot of Catalina's and Liberators there is a reason.

Happy Hunting!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 02:09 PM   #2104
ambarata
Watch

Downloads: 813
Default Neutral Ships

Hi

Is there a penalty for sinking neutral ships in OM?

AMBARATA
ambarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 02:54 PM   #2105
alphlvr
Watch

Downloads: 85
Default ship getting damaged on surface

hey, this could be my imagination but its happened a few times now unless im missing the cause.

while on surface in ocean between france and england when time compressing i suddenly get damage to ship components.

the hull never seems to change from 0% damage but all my compartments and equipment do, im currently experiencing critical flooding in 3 compartments and never saw a plane or ship (although i guess its a possibility.)

ive noticed the sea seems very shallow , 20m or so and its rough seas and am wondering if thats what has damaged me, ie i hit the bottom in a swell??

this is the 3rd time i think, many times ive trashed a boat by accident but on these occasions im wondering whats going on, i want to blame myself but cant understand what ive done wrong.

im in a type c 1940 boat, it was very rough and i was at flank speed

any ideas?
alphlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 03:31 PM   #2106
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphlvr View Post
hey, this could be my imagination but its happened a few times now unless im missing the cause.

while on surface in ocean between france and england when time compressing i suddenly get damage to ship components.

the hull never seems to change from 0% damage but all my compartments and equipment do, im currently experiencing critical flooding in 3 compartments and never saw a plane or ship (although i guess its a possibility.)

ive noticed the sea seems very shallow , 20m or so and its rough seas and am wondering if thats what has damaged me, ie i hit the bottom in a swell??

this is the 3rd time i think, many times ive trashed a boat by accident but on these occasions im wondering whats going on, i want to blame myself but cant understand what ive done wrong.

im in a type c 1940 boat, it was very rough and i was at flank speed

any ideas?
Mines
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 04:34 PM   #2107
alphlvr
Watch

Downloads: 85

damn this just gets better and better, there was a armed trawler thingy around although normally when they see me im alerted by my crews attitude or the searchlight or gunshots whistling by....but mines as well , hell im gonna have to be more careful.

any tips on mines, ie should i stick to shipping lanes?

thinking about it the other day there was a armed trawler and a patrol craft nearby, on my hydrophones i could hear a clanking sound nowand again, is that a mine? i thought it wa unusual at the time

one other question, on tmo or rfb i think it had been modded so it was possible to open more than one tube door at once(i could be wrong) as we are in u-boats and have the ability to set a spread in op monsun is there anyway to open more than 1 door at once??

when i set up a spread shot the tune thats open hits my target but the others that were not open miss my firing solution because of the delay.

ive fiddled about but can only seem to open 1 door at a time like stock sh4. is there a way of doing this or any plans to incluse that feature in the future. why o why the devs left out that feature of sh3 ill never know, just like the sound its a step backwards.

also is there any way of manually selecting the speed of the target in the attack periscope or attack map and having the speed appear in the notebook next to the obs periscope. again ive been trying when using the obs periscope to make my attack and the wrong speed is appearing due to heavy seas or limited time and when trying to manually add in the attack map/scope it doesnt seem to affect the notebook on the obs scope?

cheers for rapid responses guys

Last edited by alphlvr; 01-15-10 at 05:23 PM.
alphlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 10:35 PM   #2108
mia389
中国水兵

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
You will receive messages about "when/where" Mich Cows will be available
It is January 25th 1942 and I have not recieved anything. I am out of torpedoes and have about 50% fuel. I can make it back to base but if I could get torps from a milkcow I would like to do that.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 12:32 AM   #2109
SgtSabre
Seaman

Downloads: 44

Quote:
one other question, on tmo or rfb i think it had been modded so it was possible to open more than one tube door at once(i could be wrong) as we are in u-boats and have the ability to set a spread in op monsun is there anyway to open more than 1 door at once??

when i set up a spread shot the tune thats open hits my target but the others that were not open miss my firing solution because of the delay.

ive fiddled about but can only seem to open 1 door at a time like stock sh4. is there a way of doing this or any plans to incluse that feature in the future. why o why the devs left out that feature of sh3 ill never know, just like the sound its a step backwards.
It is possible. First, select the first tube you want to open. Push "Q" to open it. Next, push "W" to move to the next tube. Then push "Q" to open that one. Continue for each tube you want to open.

Quote:
also is there any way of manually selecting the speed of the target in the attack periscope or attack map and having the speed appear in the notebook next to the obs periscope.
No. Settings in the German TDC do not appear on the notebook.
SgtSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 07:07 AM   #2110
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello,
well, planes do not spot me in '39-'40 when i am submerged, as it should be - did not try out the later years though.
As far as i have read the only device for a surface detection that was possible in 1945 was the centimeter radar, this being able to even spot the emerging tips of periscopes or snorkels, if only in calm seas. But a magnetic detector ?

"MAD" Magnetic Anomaly Detection in 1945 ? I know the magnetic changes in the sea-floor were detected accidentally by searching for russian subs in the 1960ies with those devices (thus giving an evidence for sea floor spreading, and plate tectonics -> Wegener's theory), but in 1945 ??! I doubt this, but will have a look for it and post here again.

Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:18 AM   #2111
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

"MAD" Magnetic Anomaly Detection in 1945 ? I know the magnetic changes in the sea-floor were detected accidentally by searching for russian subs in the 1960ies with those devices (thus giving an evidence for sea floor spreading, and plate tectonics -> Wegener's theory), but in 1945 ??! I doubt this, but will have a look for it and post here again.

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol2/Appen3.pdf

Note: U-761, 24 February 1944, U-731, 15 April 1944, U-392, 16 March 1944.

Also you need to read the intro

Quote:
Technology used by both sides in the conflict improved dramatically as the war progressed. On the Allied side the advantages of ASDIC, aircraft-borne radar, MAD gear, rockets and homing torpedoes temporarily offset wolfpack tactics and improved AA weapons.

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol2/chap4-4.pdf

Go to page 489 and you will see a picture of a PBY-5A equipped with MAD gear
Old 01-17-10, 10:39 AM   #2112
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphlvr View Post

also is there any way of manually selecting the speed of the target in the attack periscope or attack map and having the speed appear in the notebook next to the obs periscope. again ive been trying when using the obs periscope to make my attack and the wrong speed is appearing due to heavy seas or limited time and when trying to manually add in the attack map/scope it doesnt seem to affect the notebook on the obs scope?

cheers for rapid responses guys
The bug comes from the hardcoded torpedo buttons. When you press one you automatically close the last ones. So the only way to fix that is to comment out the commands that close tubes and only leave the "Toggle" one.

The notepad is bugged. It has default values for speed (0) and range (3000). When you send the AOB to the TDC you actually only send it to the first page of the notepad. If you then send it to the TDC, you'll also enter a zero speed and 3000 range.

Try OMEGU v300 with patch (what's the latest? 4?). You'll instantly see why.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:47 AM   #2113
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
It is January 25th 1942 and I have not recieved anything. I am out of torpedoes and have about 50% fuel. I can make it back to base but if I could get torps from a milkcow I would like to do that.
You need to return to home base
Old 01-17-10, 12:53 PM   #2114
mia389
中国水兵

Downloads: 130

Returned to home base. After multiple air attacks. I can only imagine how much worse its going to get as the months go on.

I take it that mad cows will be available at later dates?
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 12:59 PM   #2115
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

For me it's early 1943 and sailing on the day in the biscany bay is a death trap.

No easy pickings anymore fro my IXB U-65 I wish I could get a different sub
looney is offline   Reply With Quote