SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-22-22, 10:50 AM   #271
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default /\ 17 DAYS LATER

The McKinney Fire is now 95% contained, having destroyed 98 square miles, 30, 000 game-fish from ash runoff, the hamlet of Klamath River and four victims, all in their 70's; identified thru dental records. One in particular was Kathleen Shoopman who for decades had served faithfully in fire watchtowers, devoted giving advance warning against such hazards. An article in today's paper points up an issue in post 200 of this thread. California's inmate training program, at $180,000 per trainee, is still failing to provide the manpower for fighting the the infernos. Their criminal record curtails their employment prospects!!? As a result, the US Forest Service is short 1200 smoke-eaters, 500 of them in California and the Dept of the Interior is short 450, 150 of them in California. Early release due to prison Covid epidemic threat is also a factor in this manpower shortage. Legislators are working on bills to expunge records of trainees to ease their post-incarceraton employment issues-we need these guys on the front line choppin' trees, cuttin' brush and setting backfires to combat the flames. This season has 1670 inmates in fire camps; down 40% from 2019. The Correction Dept. was budgeted for 152 crews but fielded just 51, each with 15-18 firefighters.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-22, 03:22 PM   #272
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Icon8

The current extreme heat wave which hit 114F. yesterday, and set the all-time record for Santa Rosa since 1913: (115F.) where my daughter resides w/o AC; has created the grave situation of "flash drying" of both dead and live fuels which only increases the already extreme fire hazard throughout the state. Lightning strikes are expected in Siskiyou and northern rugged counties which have trigger'd several large fatal conflagrations. Rolling power shut downs throughout the state due to record setting AC demand on PG&E's decayed transmission lines are ocurrring...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 09-08-22, 07:53 PM   #273
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
The current extreme heat wave which hit 114F. yesterday, and set the all-time record for Santa Rosa since 1913: (115F.) where my daughter resides w/o AC; has created the grave situation of "flash drying" of both dead and live fuels which only increases the already extreme fire hazard throughout the state. Lightning strikes are expected in Siskiyou and northern rugged counties which have trigger'd several large fatal conflagrations. Rolling power shut downs throughout the state due to record setting AC demand on PG&E's decayed transmission lines are ocurrring...
Prayers for you buddy. I can't imagine that hot, dry air with that much vegetation. Here in Kentucky, we feel like it's dry if the humidity gets down to about 50%.
Old 08-20-23, 09:07 PM   #274
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

cool Hollywood is all wet

...with smoke from big fires in northern CA forests; and smoke emanating from Washington state and now blowing south into the Bay area. If that's not enough, Hurricane Hillary, now downgraded to a tropical storm, has inundated LA., Palm Springs, turning northerly thriough the middle of the state along the I-5 and Hwy 99 axis. Las Vegas is expected to be affected in turn! This is the first tropical storm to hit CA since 1939! Just the major flooding on TV, particularly in customarily bone-dry desert areas is looking bad. Reaching the inlaws by phone is impossible. Torrential deluges being insufficient, the city of Ohai, 50 miles inland from the port of Santa Barbara, suffered a 5.1 quake around 2PM-no deaths reported....

Old 08-21-23, 11:36 AM   #275
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Old 08-21-23, 11:39 AM   #276
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
...with smoke from big fires in northern CA forests; and smoke emanating from Washington state and now blowing south into the Bay area. If that's not enough, Hurricane Hillary, now downgraded to a tropical storm, has inundated LA., Palm Springs, turning northerly thriough the middle of the state along the I-5 and Hwy 99 axis. Las Vegas is expected to be affected in turn! This is the first tropical storm to hit CA since 1939! Just the major flooding on TV, particularly in customarily bone-dry desert areas is looking bad. Reaching the inlaws by phone is impossible. Torrential deluges being insufficient, the city of Ohai, 50 miles inland from the port of Santa Barbara, suffered a 5.1 quake around 2PM-no deaths reported....
At least the smoke is keeping the locusts from invading.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-23, 04:08 PM   #277
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

All that rain all of a sudden will result in a lot of mud/landslides.

When I lived in CA we were more concerned with mudslides than earthquakes.
Old 08-21-23, 04:40 PM   #278
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 as the principal Santa Cruz Mtn R.E. appraiser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
When I lived in CA we were more concerned with mudslides than earthquakes.
Nah! FEMA, having requested my appraisal files for the massive 1979 7.2 Loma Prieta quake and the Santa Cruz/Love Creek massive slide(bodies never recovered) disasters;(for the house fotos); massive Napa fires(within 8,000 ft.) and two quakes since here in Napa: 2000's 5.2(epicentered 500 yards away destroying my chimney & chinaware!) & 2014's 4.1, seriously wrecking downtown bldgs. but sparing me!... all of which compelled me to keep up the license-req'd E&O insurance on my files 5 years beyond my 13 year's career retirement date in case of lawsuits...it's fires 1st; quakes 2nd; and mudslides 3rd;...no IMHO 'bout it!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-21-23 at 04:52 PM.

Tags
california, wild fires