SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-18, 05:13 PM   #6751
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I've read it......"Base Time 2018" (actually a couple of times, my "comprehension" side of the brain needs to digest!!), and find it really interesting!! You may have discovered a flaw that definitely comes from trying to play a Windows XP era game on systems that are too advanced for its own good.

Something similar has to do with my findings of playing the game on my Windows XP system and playing it on my Windows 10 computer. I've actually "timed" events on one computer, compared to the other, and have seen differences in outcomes! The faster computer delivers faster results than the slower computer. I forget what I was doing some months ago, but to get to the same world position using time compression took longer in actual game time for the slower Windows XP computer, than it did on the much faster Windows 10 machine!

Which does nothing but spell TROUBLE for trying to figure out what one person discovers, can't be found by another player due to computer spec differences!?!
... which begs the question, can we find one of those old DOS game utilities that were used to make the clock in the computer "sync" to the game? Or would that spell doom with a C-T-D??? It would definitely be interesting to test one, if they made anything like that for a Windows box...

Some quick research yields some interesting points (no utility though) - The "modern" computer has variable-speed processors, that are sped up and slowed down, as demand dictates... I also wonder if there is a "frame rate limiter" in the game that might be useable from a launch command... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 11:00 AM   #6752
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367
Uploads: 0

Hi guys
Is there any ETA for the update or a solution for dd's firing torps against subs?

I have stop playing and waiting

cheers
nik112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 02:12 PM   #6753
propbeanie

Why have you stopped playing? You are missing all of the fun! Just keep your scope down except when you need it. The next release will hopefully reduce the occurrences of that, but they will still shoot torpedoes at you, just from closer in. If they see your scope and you are within a weapon platform's range, they will shoot at your scope with all they have at their disposal. Be aware that a cannon shell can travel through water also, and can impact your conn, sinking you just as easily as a torpedo can... As soon as you are finished shooting at them, dive to get out of the way of anything the enemy shoots at you...

We hope RR doesn't have writer's cramps, and hasn't gone blind or cross-eyed from trying to keep up with the ReadMe files from several other modders... We should see it before Christmas, but Thanksgiving might be overly optimistic... too much food to prepare and eat here in the US of A.

PS: I am knocking on wood after having stated that...

Old 11-21-18, 12:40 AM   #6754
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
to get to the same world position using time compression took longer in actual game time for the slower Windows XP computer, than it did on the much faster Windows 10 machine
Could you clarify that statement?
Did you arrive at said position earlier IN GAME on the Win 10 system then the Win XP system IN GAME under the exact same conditions?

I do know that some Games base their clocks on the processor clocks.
Old 11-21-18, 10:24 AM   #6755
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Could you clarify that statement?
Did you arrive at said position earlier IN GAME on the Win 10 system then the Win XP system IN GAME under the exact same conditions?

I do know that some Games base their clocks on the processor clocks.
Because it was several months ago I'm not exactly sure!

I was timing (with a handheld stopwatch) going from point A to B on the slower XP computer (Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.40GHz, 2GB Ram, Radeon 4670 1GB) compared to my Windows 10 (Intel i5 6500 @ 3.20 GHz, 16GB Ram, Radeon RX 460 2GB), and found the Win 10 computer got me there faster than the XP......in real time. However, I don't remember if it put me earlier in-game time or not??

Maybe I'll run the same test to see!?!

I understand the clock speed between these two computers are vastly off, which can cause the same differences, however I can't say for sure if it caused the game to run "differently" in its timing process.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 11-21-18 at 03:07 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-18, 12:40 PM   #6756
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Why have you stopped playing? You are missing all of the fun! Just keep your scope down except when you need it. The next release will hopefully reduce the occurrences of that, but they will still shoot torpedoes at you, just from closer in. If they see your scope and you are within a weapon platform's range, they will shoot at your scope with all they have at their disposal. Be aware that a cannon shell can travel through water also, and can impact your conn, sinking you just as easily as a torpedo can... As soon as you are finished shooting at them, dive to get out of the way of anything the enemy shoots at you...

We hope RR doesn't have writer's cramps, and hasn't gone blind or cross-eyed from trying to keep up with the ReadMe files from several other modders... We should see it before Christmas, but Thanksgiving might be overly optimistic... too much food to prepare and eat here in the US of A.

PS: I am knocking on wood after having stated that...

Hi again
Firstly i want to say that is your mod and you can do everything you like.
Secondly i want to ask if user has the option to not facing this and if answer is negative then can you give details how to dissable this?

ps am familiar with s3d and doing changes in ship files

cheers

Keep up the good work
nik112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 01:34 AM   #6757
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Because it was several months ago I'm not exactly sure!

I was timing (with a handheld stopwatch) going from point A to B on the slower XP computer (Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.40GHz, 2GB Ram, Radeon 4670 1GB) compared to my Windows 10 (Intel i5 6500 @ 3.20 GHz, 16GB Ram, Radeon RX 460 2GB), and found the Win 10 computer got me there faster than the XP......in real time. However, I don't remember if it put me earlier in-game time or not??

Maybe I'll run the same test to see!?!

I understand the clock speed between these two computers are vastly off, which can cause the same differences, however I can't say for sure if it caused the game to run "differently" in its timing process.
I also observed that long ago when upgrading computer. TC at high rates (2048 and up) stutters and is not as quick in a slow PC. Yes, it indicates 2048x and goes quicker, the game certainly thinks its going 2048x, but in real time when you are sitting watching it, the slower PC certainly takes more time.
Old 11-24-18, 03:39 PM   #6758
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

A faster system with more memory will always do that to an extent.
Older Games sometimes will not run on faster/newer systems IF they are linked to processor clock in some way. Or they may show wrong times in Game. That's why I asked.
Old 11-28-18, 09:52 AM   #6759
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

FOTRSU Team, please see this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239270

More ships, more ships.....

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-18, 01:43 PM   #6760
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Hello there people!
Real life almost sunk me but me and my crew saved the ship, somehow.
I'll check out the mod as soon as possible.

CHEERS great team!!!
Old 11-28-18, 02:32 PM   #6761
propbeanie

Billy!!! Great to "see / hear" from you brother!

Old 11-28-18, 02:54 PM   #6762
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
FOTRSU Team, please see this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239270

More ships, more ships.....

Fitzcarraldo

I gave them that awhile back.
Old 11-28-18, 03:42 PM   #6763
propbeanie

Old 11-30-18, 10:01 PM   #6764
Nikeforus
Nub

Downloads: 88

Greetings skippers.
I was very glad to find and install this mod since I wanted to come back to the game after a long time. Last time I played I was on RFB.
It seems nice but there is only one shocking thing and I need confirmation before I go on and ger wrecked due to rustiness:

Just as I got in the menu and then a mission the soundtrack did sound familiar, is it really an orchestral arrangement of metroid ost or have I completely lost it?
Nikeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 02:19 AM   #6765
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Nikeforus!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote