SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-17, 11:05 PM   #61
Stefos
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Regarding SH 4 install

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Welcome to SubSim Stefos! The 'modern' Windows OS is very 'jealous' of certain areas of its hard drive. Do NOT install SH4 into a 'protected' area such as Program Files (x86), which is the default location in the game's installer. You can refer to CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, where he discusses his Windows 10 install and update, Silent Hunter 4 install, and the use of LAA. You could probably drop down a couple of clicks in the page scroll gutter, down below where his picture of the Windows Settings page is, and start reading from about where he says:

"Two things need to be stressed before installing the game.

First, allow Windows 10 to update Automatically to get the latest updated files.

Secondly, keep your Silent Hunter game install out of either the "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)", or the "ProgramData" folders. The reason is to avoid the handicap Windows uses on us when a program/game is defaulted to install in one of these folders. Windows won't let you change the properties of the program/games loaded in these folders because it thinks you'll screw something up. Or, it tries to prevent computer corruption if these programs are changed in some way. If your planning to add content to your game (like a modification through JSGME, or JSGME itself, or a memory helper like LAA).....you're changing your original game files. Believe me, this old game didn't expect to be treated like a "problem waiting to happen" by the OS......so don't install it in these folders. You'll not need to change the game files to "Run as Administrator", or any other setting, if you just install it as follows. Newer programs/games that are designed to work with Windows 10 are fine to be installed in these folders.....but not older ones.
"

Once you have the game installed elsewhere, you should be able to run it OK, but you definitely need to get the install to at least the v1.4 update. There are a few (just a few) updates available for v1.4, and most mods out there are for v1.5 Uboats. But, there is still at least one regular member on here who still uses his v1.4 regularly...

Thank you for your kindness gentlemen......I will retry installing this game.

What a pain in the neck on Win 10.............oh man.
Stefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 07:32 AM   #62
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It's actually a bit of a bother in anything that's Windows XP SP-3 or higher. It's just that it gets a bit worse with each Windows interation... Unfortunately, my grandmother never warned me about this when I was a lad...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 04:15 PM   #63
hachiman
Planesman

Downloads: 33

Hi Guys.

Just installed SH4 Vanilla form my old DVD in W10. Also have patched to 1.4. There is no exe on my desktop, but the old Gameshadow Icon. I have went into the folder where SH4 is installed and tried to run the exe from there and nothing happens. Not even a hint it's trying to start.

Any help appreciated.
Old 06-12-17, 10:10 PM   #64
propbeanie

Which "exe", the GU.exe or the SH4.exe? There is also an SH4.ico file, so if you don't have Windows displaying file extensions, and you are "sorting" on alphanumeric, ascending, it will be the first SH4 in the list...

Old 06-13-17, 06:11 AM   #65
hachiman
Planesman

Tried them all.

I've now bought it from Ubisoft Store vis digital download and nothing happens when I click on any of the exes inside the folder or the shortcut on Desktop. I can't even seem to change compatibility via this way s the options missing unlike the DVD version.
Old 06-13-17, 06:27 AM   #66
propbeanie

Let's do this then, and point you at CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install thread. He had just gotten himself a new computer and installed Windows 10 on it, and Silent Hunter 4. You might be putting the game into "Program Files (x86)", which can cause issues, since Windows "protects" that folder and doesn't allow certain changes to take place. The Capn also discusses the use of LAA, which allows the SH4.exe to use more than 2 gig of RAM. Try reading through that and following his advice there...

Old 06-13-17, 03:31 PM   #67
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

Ok, I have read through this thread and am unsure if we are still asking questions here or if we are going to scurvy's thread. If so, feel free to slap me in irons for this question.

I have successfully installed SH4 and JSGME. I have it running and can load into a game with my mods. The issue though is that after about 10 minutes of real time, my game crashes to desktop. I attempted to play the game about 5 different times after going through the hoops to get it to run and ended up shelving it out of frustration as to avoid damaging a rather pricey gaming computer....

Any ideas as to what may be the issue?

Note: I have not changed my mod load order since I first started playing on my windows 7. (I keep a picture saved showing what worked after ironing out the issues those years ago.)

Edit: I forgot to ask my question. (been a long day)
Old 06-13-17, 05:56 PM   #68
propbeanie

Naw, this is a Silent Hunter 4 and Windows 10 thread, and that's what you're dealing with, so leg irons are not needed... only manacles...

Now,
1. What is your mod list then... ??
2. Did you run the game OK without mods after first getting it installed?
3. Where did you end up installing the game?
4. Where did you get your copy from? DVD, Steam, or some other download?

Old 06-13-17, 07:00 PM   #69
hachiman
Planesman

I am sorted. Changd compatibility to W7 and disabled display scaling on high DPI settings and it's working. Thanks for your time.
Old 06-18-17, 01:51 PM   #70
Ed
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default SH "Wolves GOLD"

Will pass this on for what its worth.

I purchased a Dell 8900 W10, 24RAM, Raedon 480(I think) i7-7700, 256 SSD to replace my 6 yr old Dell 8300 W7(a great machine for me). I tried loading SH Gold and the opening video worked but the first screen and all others came up about half. Top half of monitor was empty. So I could never get down to Options and graphics on the first screen. After much messing around I went into my Raedon graphics card and took off scaling. Now game played with a full screen but picture quality was a bit dull. I also changed display to 1920x1080. Went back to Windows and tried my TW "Atilla" game and it came up fine but with scaling off a bit dull so I put scaling back. Fine picture. Then I loaded SH Gold again. To my surprise it came up full screen and just fine, clear graphics. Im not sure if scaling was involved or it was being able to get to "Options" and changing the display to 1920x1080 but I think that is what did it not the scaling which is back on.

BTW, does anyone know how to get "Carriers at War" up on W10. A quite old game but I don't see any carrier games out there since tat one.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 02:18 AM   #71
mw775
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 14
Default SH4 and Windows 10

I bought an Alienware computer with Win10 already installed. I tried several of the suggestions throughout these threads with no success so, moving on, does anyone know of a submarine simulation, preferably WWII, that WILL run on Win 10?
Thank you
mw775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 02:40 AM   #72
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw775 View Post
I bought an Alienware computer with Win10 already installed. I tried several of the suggestions throughout these threads with no success so, moving on, does anyone know of a submarine simulation, preferably WWII, that WILL run on Win 10?
Thank you
Hi mw775
I have sh3-4-5
And all work good
I have windows 10 64bit
Old 06-19-17, 06:26 AM   #73
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

hauangua, are your versions of SH3, 4, 5 on the DVD or are they Steam?
Old 06-19-17, 08:07 AM   #74
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
hauangua, are your versions of SH3, 4, 5 on the DVD or are they Steam?
Hi Neal
SH3 DVD
SH4 Steam
SH5 Gold Edition downladed by ubisoft
Old 06-19-17, 08:35 AM   #75
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw775 View Post
Thank you

Welcome to Subsim, mw775. Happy to have you with us.

SH4 and SH5 will run fine on Win 10. I've not played SH3 in quite awhile, but I've seen it commented on that Sh3 will also run on win 10. Don't give up on them quite yet.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote