SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-08, 07:33 PM   #1
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default My IXD2 implodes at 170m

Why is my IXD2 imploding at 170m? Here are the mods I am using:

When I check the CFG file for the IXD2 sub, it says max depth is 230m, but I can't go that deep. Recently, I got attacked by a plane and my damage to the hull was 37%. I dove to 140m and imploded. I should have been able to dive that deep at the very least.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 07:41 PM   #2
bunkerratt
Chief

Downloads: 13

wow...don't take this the wrong way...but better you than me ...
Old 04-18-08, 03:07 AM   #3
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer
Recently, I got attacked by a plane and my damage to the hull was 37%. I dove to 140m and imploded..

There's your answer. With your hull at 37% it should look like swiss cheese
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 03:46 AM   #4
zylark
Loader

Downloads: 0

Even with as low damage to the hull as 1-5% I won't go deeper than 50 meters. Maybe a bit overcautious, but still. And considering that more often than not, my radar operator is sleeping on his post, I usually get aircraft alarm from the watch-crew. Quite easy then to get some damage to the hull even if crash diving at first sight of those pesky aircraft.

Three patrols in, I haven't yet been able to return to base with at least some hull damage (lowest 3%, highest 17%), all from aircraft. Haven't been DCed once yet in my U-Boat. I'm starting to think US DD skippers are incompetent fools :p

The radar detection kit I got before the last patrol is working good though, so at least I can evade bombers pretty good. Fighters not so good, but after the next patrol I'll have enough renown to upgrade the radar to the top of the line model. Should help.
zylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 06:18 AM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:

When I check the CFG file for the IXD2 sub, it says max depth is 230m, but I can't go that deep. Recently, I got attacked by a plane and my damage to the hull was 37%. I dove to 140m and imploded. I should have been able to dive that deep at the very least.
Your u-boat was probably build on a friday, around 4:30 in the afternoon.
Old 04-18-08, 07:50 AM   #6
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

You guys aren't getting the issue. The issue is not the plane that hit me. Even with a healthy sub, it will not go deeper than 170m. That is why I imploded at only 140m with that damage. I've had more damage than that in SH3 and was able to dive deeper than 140m. Right now I think I agree with nikimcbee, but would still like to know what the actual cause is.
Old 04-18-08, 08:11 AM   #7
wetwarev7
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
You guys aren't getting the issue. The issue is not the plane that hit me. Even with a healthy sub, it will not go deeper than 170m. That is why I imploded at only 140m with that damage. I've had more damage than that in SH3 and was able to dive deeper than 140m. Right now I think I agree with nikimcbee, but would still like to know what the actual cause is.
Crush depth on the subs are a bit random. I wonder if maybe you just got a bad roll of the dice and got a sub with a less than specified crush depth?

If not, you could just play it that way. I'm pretty sure it's realistic for military equipment to not allways perform as advertised.......
Old 04-18-08, 12:18 PM   #8
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:

...my 2 cents setup a second install for Trigger Maru Overhaul and then run OM by itself.

...another 2 cents Environmentals 4.3 is overwriting TM's visuals, AI...etc...W_Clears stuff is included with TM, tuned by Ducimus so that it works together.

...sorry if I am meddling.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 01:21 PM   #9
wetwarev7
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcke
...my 2 cents ....

...another 2 cents ....

...sorry if I am meddling.

How dare you share your opinion! :rotfl:

Seriously though, I agree with Wilcke! You should try to isolate the issue and see if it's a sole mod issue, a combined mod issue, or a stock game issue.
Old 04-18-08, 03:40 PM   #10
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

I ran the game with just these mods enabled:

My sub still implodes too early. Does anyone else experience this? By the way, here is the CFG file for the IXD2.

Is there some other file that overrides the CFG file? When using the Environmental 4.3 Mod, I removed game changing files like the Submarine folder, CFG folder, and Library folder from the mod. All that remains are the graphic files and the Scene.dat file.
Old 04-18-08, 03:42 PM   #11
Quillan
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 2

Crush depth in SH3 was in one of the files that required a hex editor to change. I don't recall which, but one of the .sim or .dat files sounds likely. That max depth just means that if your boat doesn't implode it won't let you go deeper than 230 meters.
Old 04-18-08, 03:53 PM   #12
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Crash depth is adjusted via uboatname.zon in data/Submarine/uboatname/

The value for IXD2 in TMO+OpMonsun is 230, which translates to a crash depth of approximately 230/1.4 = 164. So, to set another crash depth you pick the value you want, multiply it by 1.4 and edit the result into that file.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 03:55 PM   #13
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

That's interesting. In the readme for TMO_Enable_Uboat_Ver3, it says:

Quote:
Crush depth has been changed to the exact number of the type9D2 from stock Sh3
In the Submarine folder for the mod is a ZON file and DSD file in addition to the CFG file for the IXD2. Could one of those files be the culprit? One of the complaints I remember against stock SH3 were the low depth numbers.
Old 04-18-08, 04:24 PM   #14
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan
Crash depth is adjusted via uboatname.zon in data/Submarine/uboatname/

The value for IXD2 in TMO+OpMonsun is 230, which translates to a crash depth of approximately 230/1.4 = 164. So, to set another crash depth you pick the value you want, multiply it by 1.4 and edit the result into that file.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't even see your post until now. Looks like we started out posts about the same time. I will take that into account and mess around with it some.
Old 04-18-08, 05:27 PM   #15
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

When i made that uboat modlet, i admitidly didn't spend much time on it. (like an hour or so, on everything it contains)

I adjusted the crash depth to whatever the value was in stock sh3. For two reasons:
- i didnt want a 270 meter crash depth. I felt that unlrealistc
- I was pressed for time.

Going by memory, my guesstimate is that crush depth is around 220 meters. I did one test run, and it seemd to cccur around that point, although i was abusing TC at the time.

I did not however, test the crash speed. I just made the blind assumption that it was similar to stock SH4 fleet boats. The number shown in crash speed, does not behave the same way in SH3 as in Sh4. A 2 is a near insta crunch in SH3, in SH4 its a bit longer.

The hit points are half that of stock, so that could be an issue of the crash speed is not functioning as i think it is.

I could always go back and take a look at this again. Its not like im doing anything else right now. Overall i found the type9D2 in the uboat addon, the most uncooperative sub i have ever opened and editor against. NOTHING works as it should in the sim file, or i should say, standard adjustments to effect sub physics are seemingly doing nothing. I spent more (unsucessful) time on that subs sim file then i did on every adjustment i made in TMs uboat fix.

In the meantime, worse comes to worse, you could always remove the zon file from the modlet. Its not really neccessary, it's just a "realism" adjustment as opposed to a bug fix or functionality adjustment.

edit: Yes i know. .dammit duci, dont you test anything? Normally i look at things alot more closely then i did this modlet. It was a 11th hour bit of modding, and ive admited 2 or 3 times - i didn't spend much time on it. Given as much work on my plate to do for TM as a whole, Time for me, is something i have to strictly budget, so this bit didn't get my usual "loving care".
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote