SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-19, 01:38 PM   #1
Nufsed
Sparky

Downloads: 500
Uploads: 0
Default UBOAT The next SH5?

I do believe it is.....................

I love submarine simulations! And my fascination with subs goes back over sixty years, my very first subsim was Microprose Silent Service closely followed by SS2, (anyone remember that theme tune?) overtime PC's became more capable and the sims more believable and then! Silent Hunter 5 appeared, I thought all my Christmas's had come at once.......Until I played it for the first time, my God what a bag of shhhhhhh. To say I was disappointed would have been an understatement, so, back to my fully modded SH3 until the mod wizards at Subsim.com started what was to become a marathon project and very slowly bought SH5 up to a (very) playable level, and I was happy, for a while. Because there is only so much you can modify without breaking into the base code. I played SH5 on and off but gradually the shine was wearing off my dream sim. Then I saw the U BOOT Kickstarter campaign and signed up immediately. I followed the progress and realised that this dev team were aiming much higher than any any previous submarine sim en-carnation, they were adding another dimension, that of trying to keep a group of terrified sailors calm whilst some other sailors were dropping 3000lb barrels filled to the brim with high explosives on them! Interesting to say the least. Initially, I have to say, when I first got the beta release it was very glitchy, but the patches kept coming and gradually over the weeks the game started to take shape. So here we are at Early Access on update B118. I have a lot of hours in this sim (over 60), but B118 is really starting to show the potential that is going to be UBOAT. The game engine is sturdy in that I have not had one single CTD or freeze for that matter. I am currently on the verge of my eighth patrol after making the trip to La Spezia and running the gauntlet that is the straits of Gibraltar, yes I was depth charged and yes I did manage to keep the crew calm and doing there respective tasks. All the systems added so far like upgrades and rep rewards seem to be working okay. Already UBOAT is streets ahead of SH5 at this stage of development and the updates are nothing short of breathtaking with the speed at which they appear. For an EA game this is exceptionally playable and I wait (once again) with baited breath for the next (rumored to be massive) update. So if you are sitting on the fence and love the idea of commanding a submarine stalking a convoy for the measly price of £23 you can. I love this game and slowly but surely it is becoming the subsim I have always dreamed of.

Nufsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 01:41 PM   #2
Nufsed
Sparky

Default SS2 theme tune

Here is the SS2 theme tune for those that would like to hear it. It's a Das Boot remix.

Old 05-14-19, 12:57 PM   #3
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I couldnt agree with you more.

U-boat, in its present condition, is far ahead of where other sub-sims were at this
stage of development when they came onto the scene.

The beauty of U-boat is in its damage control and crew management.

these are all things we have had to do in the past

But, we have evolved...

the above method of damage control is a highly automated system where,
mostly, you just click on the damaged compartment and wait for the timer
to count down to zero; flooding never really was a super big deal. If a
destoryer holed your boat, you could have most damage repaired and
flooding contained within 3 or 4 minutes in game. As for crew management.
just move a crewman symbol from one compartment to another via drag
and drop and you will never see him in a physical 3-d environment.
I mean he is there as 0s and 1s doing his "job" but since most preceding
subsims had you confined to the command room, youd never see him
anyhow, so what difference does it make.

now we have evolved:

U-boat gives you the entire boat. And all of the crew management can be
done from First person view, or third person cut away view (which is frankly
the easier way to do it)... so now we have this.

guys... its the same thing. only now your entire u-boat is alive, sailors have
on duty and off duty tasks they perform. the whole boat is alive.

and when a plane, or destroyer holes your boat... you have problems.

Flooding can be catastrophic. Batteries can make the air in a compartment toxic,
you have to shut down the power to various compartments when not vital so you
can prolong battery life during a lengthy depth charging session.

We have gone from this stoic sailor with a cast iron will to serve...

and we have graduated up to an entire boat of sailors and officers, with unique
and varied personalities. some will turn out to be truly brave gray wolves.. others
will panic during a depth charge attack when silence is everything and you cannot
have a man screaming for help and you have to calm him down or literally
strangle him out.

dont want that sort on your boat? when you get back to port, remove him from
your crew and replace him with another after reading his personnel file.

if you went through the history of subsim and put together a wish list of what
everyone wanted in a Subsim... U-boat has tried, with a modest amount of
success, to incorporate the entire wishlist or most of it, into a single game.

personally, i think U-boat is going to be an absolute rock star in another year.
Old 05-16-19, 12:21 PM   #4
Nufsed
Sparky

+1

Old 05-16-19, 08:05 PM   #5
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

I think that the opinions above mirror my own. Silent hunter as a whole did a some things well, but most of the rest was simplified to point and click. To me it always felt as if I was just alone on the boat controlling everything (that it would let me) and essentially just staring at the map screen between encounters. I went back and played SH4 a few days ago and it was honestly super boring.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 08:13 PM   #6
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

Totally agree. I actually have to do stuff while traveling now instead of just hit the time compression and do nothing like in SH.

This game has a huge potential and with the upcoming SDK tools and steam workshop the future looks very good.
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 03:37 AM   #7
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

I had a good feeling about the game from very early on - hence why jumped in to assist the dev with some modelling work.
and despite it being further behind in development than I had imagined -so far it has mostly lived up to my hopes and expectations, still a lot id like to see improved. but these are all things that will be done in time - if not by the team then by modders later on.

I mean, we are talking about an SDK launch in summer, thats really quite a big deal, I don't think we've seen much (in terms of sub games) of this quality and depth with such an open platform to boot.
For all those who just want SH6, e.g basic crew managment & Damage control, with focus on navigation, sensors, Gunnery & Torpedo attacks, plus simple UI & teleporting to different stations).
That is going to be 100% possible.

I will bet money on an 'SH3 UI and Controls Mod' before 2020 is out. So even if the style of play doesn't suit you now, its definatley one to watch.

-Wolfpack also, I'm not sold on the multiplayer aspect personally, But im certainly keeping an eye on it.
It would be a big mistake to write off either of these games just because their current EA/out of the box state doesn't float your boat. They both have a future which the Silent Hunter franchise sadly does not.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 07:34 AM   #8
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
I had a good feeling about the game from very early on - hence why jumped in to assist the dev with some modelling work.
and despite it being further behind in development than I had imagined -so far it has mostly lived up to my hopes and expectations, still a lot id like to see improved. but these are all things that will be done in time - if not by the team then by modders later on.

I mean, we are talking about an SDK launch in summer, thats really quite a big deal, I don't think we've seen much (in terms of sub games) of this quality and depth with such an open platform to boot.
For all those who just want SH6, e.g basic crew managment & Damage control, with focus on navigation, sensors, Gunnery & Torpedo attacks, plus simple UI & teleporting to different stations).
That is going to be 100% possible.

I will bet money on an 'SH3 UI and Controls Mod' before 2020 is out. So even if the style of play doesn't suit you now, its definatley one to watch.

-Wolfpack also, I'm not sold on the multiplayer aspect personally, But im certainly keeping an eye on it.
It would be a big mistake to write off either of these games just because their current EA/out of the box state doesn't float your boat. They both have a future which the Silent Hunter franchise sadly does not.
Vostok and me already made a few mods for B119. Check out the uboat mod section
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 03:23 AM   #9
Nufsed
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtag View Post