SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-19, 04:17 PM   #1
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default What files trigger sounds?

Blank

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-24-19 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 11:45 PM   #2
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

I would start with this;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1127

Examine what files are in that, to me it looks like .act and .dsd files control what sound plays when.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 11:49 PM   #3
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
I would start with this;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1127

Examine what files are in that, to me it looks like .act and .dsd files control what sound plays when.
Awesome! I had no idea where to look. I'll try this when I get back to the house in the morning! Because something isn't triggering them for Sugar or Salmon.

I did notice the Sugar has a max depth of 300 feet though!!!?!?!?! I might have to adjust that as well. In fact, they all seemed to have a max depth of 300 feet.......

Edit: Thank you for the advice!

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-22-19 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank the guy, like the arse I am
Old 04-23-19, 01:22 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Yep, just tried the .act file, wants me to upgrade some microsoft plugin. I have Win XP so upgrading anything is no longer possible here.

I don't know what's in that one, but using Silent 3ditor;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4489

I looked at the \Sound\Sh.sdl file, that has a lot of references to .wav files. Also each individual sub in the \Submarine folders has a .dsd file with sound source datablocks.

As for the max depth, the one in the submarine's .cfg file is used only to display where the red needle on the deep gauge is set, the actual crush depth (mislabeled crash depth) is in the .zon file for each sub, at the bottom in the collisionable object section. 300 feet would be about 92 meters, I usually just divide or multiply by 3.3 to convert. Actual S class had a test depth of 200 feet meaning it COULD go as deep as 300 feet when new, but with a riveted hull (PORPOISE class was the first with an all welded pressure hull) that depth decreased as they got older.

Old discussion with a link to a mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211938
Old 04-23-19, 01:40 PM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Missed your last post, some files in SH4 can be edited with notepad, some you need a hex editor, but the important ones in SH3 and SH4 can be opened with Silent 3ditor; http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4489
Old 04-23-19, 01:49 PM   #6
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Yep, just tried the .act file, wants me to upgrade some microsoft plugin. I have Win XP so upgrading anything is no longer possible here.

I don't know what's in that one, but using Silent 3ditor;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4489

I looked at the \Sound\Sh.sdl file, that has a lot of references to .wav files. Also each individual sub in the \Submarine folders has a .dsd file with sound source datablocks.

As for the max depth, the one in the submarine's .cfg file is used only to display where the red needle on the deep gauge is set, the actual crush depth (mislabeled crash depth) is in the .zon file for each sub, at the bottom in the collisionable object section. 300 feet would be about 92 meters, I usually just divide or multiply by 3.3 to convert. Actual S class had a test depth of 200 feet meaning it COULD go as deep as 300 feet when new, but with a riveted hull (PORPOISE class was the first with an all welded pressure hull) that depth decreased as they got older.

Old discussion with a link to a mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211938
Quote:
Missed your last post, some files in SH4 can be edited with notepad, some you need a hex editor, but the important ones in SH3 and SH4 can be opened with Silent 3ditor; http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4489

My bad, I'm posting and browsing like a maniac. Yes, I'm seeing some Silent 3ditor references in these files. I'll nab that tool and see what's up with it.

Ah! I was wondering what was up with that on the max depth thing. Though when I tested for Creaks, my Sugar boat got to 300 feet before starting to take crush damage. So somewhere it is still set to 300. I get that some could dive to around 300 when new, but most of these boats were 20 years old by the time WW2 started, right? I think that needs to be bumped back up to either 200, or even 150. 300 for a 20 year old boat, when the most brand new ones could only go to 350? Does not mesh for me.

Thanks for the information dude! You are pulling the wool off my eyes with these mess.

EDIT: I'll have a listen to your sound mod. I simply chose one I knew was under 15 seconds long. This one I have still has alot of "vanilla" sound effects in it. I'm one of those strange people that couldn't stand any of the sound effects that came stock with the game. They felt flat, without depth. But that is just my not very humble opinion. I'm always on the look out for anything that hides, blends, or erases stock sounds.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-23-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 02:38 PM   #7
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok so it's not quite metric. Putting a value of 61 causes crushing to occur around 150. Was expecting closer to 200. Regardless this will allow me to fix that issue I have, awesome!!!!!!

I was secretly hoping it might fix the creak issue. It didnt. Oh well, one issue down, another being a contrary little twat! Lol!

EDIT: I don't know what happened with that first test I did with settings at 61. I made the setting 60.96 (200feet) and it started to crush very close to 200, around 190~ish. That is far more to my liking for a Sugar Boat, even if that still seems a bit too deep. But hey if some of them maybe could go to 300 brand new, I can live with around 180-220. On another note, it's kind of a shame can't give it a range to work with, i.e: Crush between 180-220. Meaning you might start crushing at 180, you might start at 220. The only way to know, would be dive down and see, just like the real thing! I'm going to try a setting of 62.484 (205feet) and see how that feels.

EDIT2: Odd, I am not getting consistent returns here. A setting of 62.484 should have begun crushing around 205, it started at around 170......... Maybe there is some sort of RNG number thrown in? That would be nice!

EDIT3: I have decided I will leave it at a setting of 62.484. It still wants to crush near 170, which I can live with. Guess I will need to go through and adjust all of the other types accordingly. Is there a place where all the crush depth data is stored online?

EDIT4: Just went to check out the sound mod you suggested, it's the one I have installed! LOL! Thanks for the work on it mate! It certainly sounds better than just the vanilla stock sounds.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-23-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 04:53 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

"Am I to understand that values in the .zon files are (ugh) in metric?"

Yep, Ubisoft is in Romania, one of them heathen European countries that think they're too fashionable to use good old Christian feet and yards. Not a huge problem, meter times 3.3 = feet, yard times 1.1 = meter. Approximately, close enough for the military anyway.

Several other factors though, if your ingame systems screen shows hull damage, 200 feet minus 10% = 180 feet as the new crush depth.

In the default S class;

Hit points = 500
Crash Depth = 122
Crash Speed = 2.0

If you look at SKWAS's notes, most seem to be correct (guy who wrote it wasn't an Ubisoft employee so he's wrong sometimes, but not often), and he notes "crash speed" is the amount of hit points you lose per second below crush depth. 2 per second is 120 per minute, so 4 minutes below 400 feet would use up all the 500 hit points and you're dead. Further complication, below 400 feet for 1 minute, got 500 hit points, lose 120, you're somewhere around 25% hull damage, new crush depth is 400 minus 25 %, 300 feet. Rising to 350 won't do you any good, have to get above 300, but by the time you get there you've taken more damage, now it's 250 feet, um time for an emergency blow? For that reason I changed all my subs to a crash speed of 0.1, so I lose 1 hit point every 10 seconds instead.

Kind of a moot question for creaks and groans though, all my testing back then indicated that the four .wav files play randomly in random order, and pay no attention to actual depth or depth changes. Would have been nice if they programmed it to creak and groan louder and louder as you went deeper, to give fair warning when you were approaching the limit, but they didn't.
Old 04-23-19, 05:03 PM   #9
Sniper297
The Old Man

Missed one;

"Is there a place where all the crush depth data is stored online?"

Crush depth is theoretical, nobody was ever on a sub that imploded and came back to report the exact depth. Some of the wrecks they found in deep waters did NOT crush, instead the hull fittings failed, letting in fire hydrant water that flooded the compartments before the pressure hull actually reached its limit. You think about the number of holes in the pressure hull for things like exhaust valves, water cooling, toilet flushing, linkage to radio and radar wires, periscope and propeller shafts, ballast tank vents, diving planes, and all the rest there are probably over a hundred seals, valves, and gaskets that could fail before the pressure hull actually collapses.
Old 04-23-19, 05:28 PM   #10
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
"Am I to understand that values in the .zon files are (ugh) in metric?"

Yep, Ubisoft is in Romania, one of them heathen European countries that think they're too fashionable to use good old Christian feet and yards. Not a huge problem, meter times 3.3 = feet, yard times 1.1 = meter. Approximately, close enough for the military anyway.

Several other factors though, if your ingame systems screen shows hull damage, 200 feet minus 10% = 180 feet as the new crush depth.

In the default S class;

Hit points = 500
Crash Depth = 122
Crash Speed = 2.0

If you look at SKWAS's notes, most seem to be correct (guy who wrote it wasn't an Ubisoft employee so he's wrong sometimes, but not often), and he notes "crash speed" is the amount of hit points you lose per second below crush depth. 2 per second is 120 per minute, so 4 minutes below 400 feet would use up all the 500 hit points and you're dead. Further complication, below 400 feet for 1 minute, got 500 hit points, lose 120, you're somewhere around 25% hull damage, new crush depth is 400 minus 25 %, 300 feet. Rising to 350 won't do you any good, have to get above 300, but by the time you get there you've taken more damage, now it's 250 feet, um time for an emergency blow? For that reason I changed all my subs to a crash speed of 0.1, so I lose 1 hit point every 10 seconds instead.

Kind of a moot question for creaks and groans though, all my testing back then indicated that the four .wav files play randomly in random order, and pay no attention to actual depth or depth changes. Would have been nice if they programmed it to creak and groan louder and louder as you went deeper, to give fair warning when you were approaching the limit, but they didn't.
Quote:
Missed one;

"Is there a place where all the crush depth data is stored online?"

Crush depth is theoretical, nobody was ever on a sub that imploded and came back to report the exact depth. Some of the wrecks they found in deep waters did NOT crush, instead the hull fittings failed, letting in fire hydrant water that flooded the compartments before the pressure hull actually reached its limit. You think about the number of holes in the pressure hull for things like exhaust valves, water cooling, toilet flushing, linkage to radio and radar wires, periscope and propeller shafts, ballast tank vents, diving planes, and all the rest there are probably over a hundred seals, valves, and gaskets that could fail before the pressure hull actually collapses.

Arg! Those Godless Commie Bastardos!!!!(joke) Yep, those numbers are "gud enuff fer Gov'ment work" as we say in Texas.

So are you saying there is a baked in -10% to all crush depth setting? I.E: If I want the sub to start crushing near 200, I need to find what is 10% more than that setting? So I really need to put in a setting of 62.484 (220 feet) for it to start crushing around 200?

Yes I'm aware that once you start taking hull damage that percentage takes away from your max crush depth. I do really like that feature. I would try and climb back up, but since I was already diving, the boat sinks a bit more, before responding, allowing more damage to accumulate, meaning you need to get higher. Even playing around and testing caused a rather uncomfortable "pucker" affect on me!

Yea, I read that part in that thread. That is a bummer and a half they didn't do that. Wonder if it was something they intended to do but didn't have time for? Deadlines suck. But still the sounds used do a hell of a lot more to make you feel uneasy about diving so deep than the stock pop, pop, poppity poppop, sounds. I can't imagine how much more terrifying the sound was being surrounded by it.

Yea, that's a good point, I suppose my question should be: Is there a place online (wiki?) that has the "tested" crush depth for each type present in the game? I believe the idea for the "tested" crush depth is: "The ship can dive below the test limit, but at great risk to the ship." That sounds about right for what I'm looking for. As the game, or the mod, allows the ship to exceed crush limits, but doesn't instantly kill you if you do.

Too bad there isn't a range again, to where you can have damage be say: "X based off % of Y" where X is the amount of damage dealt to the hull based on how much of a percentage you've exceed on Y, Y being the crush depth. So 100% gives maybe .1 (just random number), 125% gives .15, 150% gives .2 ect.

Thanks a million and one for your assistance man! I'm thinking we can squash this little annoying bug. I just can't imagine what was adjusted that has caused this. There is no way this is a stock issue is it? I haven't played Stock SH4, in a decade. Maybe I should load in with my stock folder and see if the S-Boats work properly in it.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-24-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 07:50 PM   #11
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you very much Sniper297!!

Had it not been for you sir, I would still be shaking my fist and screaming at clouds. I may still be shaking my fist and screaming at clouds, but now I'm doing it with Creaks playing as they should! Thank you very, very much sir!
Old 04-23-19, 08:24 PM   #12
Sniper297
The Old Man

Hooray!

Between shaking fists at clouds and posting every 20 minutes dunno how you found time, but the end result is what counts.
Old 04-23-19, 08:26 PM   #13
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have a window by my PC. Got to keep an eye on those bastards! Fixed it just in time to head off to work, but I know it will be fixed, waiting on me once I get home.

I wonder if that file could be Jerry rigged to play your mod sounds files the way you wanted them to?

Meh, something for another day.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-23-19 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 12:43 AM   #14
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

Yes, the SH.sdl file activate all the sound files that are same path level (not the speech folder, music or gramophone)
You can even adjust each sound volume there.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 06:48 PM   #15
Sniper297
The Old Man

Now he tells me, after 10 years of amplifying sound in .wav files.

Seriously, thanks, got to play with that now.