SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-16, 12:24 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Danish expedition Find German submarine from WW1

A prologue

I have tried to find an English article about this sensational findings
I couldn't. I had to use google translate and translate what it have been said to Danish news paper and TV.

I wish I was better to translate Danish and Swedish into English, then using google translate which are very bad at it.

Start of article:

Danish expedition in the North Sea behind the sensational discovery:

There is a prohibition to fish and dive at the sensational wreck sites due to explosives at the bottom of the North Sea

A Danish expedition on the North Sea has made an extraordinary discovery in connection with a scanning of the seabed, where a previously unknown wreck of a German submarine from World War suddenly appeared.

On board the wreck there is 18 intact mines and six torpedoes, says Gert Normann Andersen, director of Sea War Museum Jutland and diving company JD-Contractor, who led the expedition. It is a very unusual find, he says. .

We are very modest, but we think that it is a great find. It is an exciting story we want to tell and show at the museum. It's great to get out and discover new history, he says.

The expedition to the North Sea was part of the preparation for a TV program in collaboration with DR History and Science, to be sent later this month on DR3.

According to Gert Normann Andersen, the German submarine have been a bit of a mystery. It disappeared with the the whole crew in 1917. It was expected that it sank in a completely different place, and it is therefore never been found. 23 man went down with the submarine. The unusual wreck sites located west of Esbjerg eight to ten kilometers out, says Klaus Randrup, watch leader by Defence Operation Centre. Because of the dangerous load should recreational divers stay away.

- Maritime Authority has issued navigation warnings on the position where the old submarine has been found and in a radius around where it is prohibited to fish, anchors and dive. One can be punished both fine and imprisonment if they do not comply with it, he says. However, there is no danger simply by sailing near the wreck, explains Gert Normann Andersen.

- But the explosive are just as dangerous today as it was 99 years ago. At the bottom of each mine sits a detonator that is allergic to pressure and stroke, so if someone starts to work on it, there is a risk that it can smoke in the air, he says. The coming days, the Danish authorities find out about the wreck should rupture, or about mines and torpedoes safely disarmed

According to Gert Normann Andersen, there has been found a total of six submarine wrecks in the North Sea.

- I have a feeling that this one is the last one , he says

The Mission

The submarine was in fact sent off on a mission to lay mines off just south of Ireland during the war. But along the way were the problems with the machines

- One engine broke. The other went on half power. He could limp home on between two to four knots. So he had to abort the mission, says Gert Normann Andersen.

Because of the great British forces and minefields, submarine could not sail up through the channel between England and France. Instead, the submarine having to sail all the way up over Scotland and further down into the North Sea ..

- On the trip, he was taken by the British, who via radio had heard that he was out there. It is really incredible that he got through

A wise captain

The last message that came from the submarine was 72 nautical miles southwest of Lindenaes when the submarine reported mechanical problems.

- He had all mines with him and six torpedoes. But the one he had used when he sank a British steamer of 4,000 tons. He expected to be down by Helgoland within two to three days. But he never reached, says Gert Normann Andersen, who can not help but admire the submarine's captain, while expressing regret that it ended as it did.

- The captain was a wise and prudent man. And it is really a shame; it went so wrong. He has been through all hardships. It has been bad weather, they've been seasick. It was like being on a wild horse and it smelled hideously board. But instead of going straight down, where there were many mines, he chose to go right to the west coast of Jutland, the Danish waters and sneak down to Germany the road. Then he came across a mine there

Afterwards drives the captain and several crew members' bodies into the West Coast. Here they were buried and there is still tombstones today

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 09:34 PM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I assume no pictures?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 09:25 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Or links?

Picture and video here:

http://cphpost.dk/news/danes-make-ex...north-sea.html

http://sputniknews.com/europe/201608...rine-find.html

http://www.maritime-executive.com/ar...nd-off-jutland

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 11:28 AM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Thank you Jimbuna, for finding some English link to my story, ´cause the day I wrote and posted my thread I could not find any English article about this findings

I did also speculate if I should post in this subforum or in GT.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 11:33 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

No problem Markus, always happy to help when I can

Old 08-21-16, 02:51 PM   #6
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Icon14

Very nice,thanks for sharing.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-16, 09:48 AM   #7
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

Another video source:

Ah, scratch that, it's the same video.

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-16, 02:33 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat