Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-05-10, 11:01 AM   #1
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Default Jumping on the new joystick bandwagon...

As the title says, I'm looking for a new joystick to replace my aging M$ Sidewinder, and I'm wondering what you all's recommendations are.

I'm not looking for a new HOTAS set, just something as sturdy as possible, and with a twisty rudder. Buttons and sliders are also okay. I've heard good things about the Saitek AV8R, but I've never actually seen it in person, and if it feels anything like the X52's stick, I may just pass over it.

But aside from that I have no real preference for one company over another, except for maybe Logitech. (After several years of hearing all sorts of stuff about their reliability, I'd rather not take my chances)
Old 05-05-10, 02:18 PM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I'm happy with my Saitek EVO Cyborg. Not a "complicated" joystick with different presets or anything, but gots lots of buttons and it's pretty sturdy.

EDIT: Ow right, should propably mention that I broke the primary trigger off, but that's prolly because at times I squeeze a tad too hard. And hell, you got enough thumb buttons (5) to use just them if the primary gets busted.

SEC

If you're planning on buying the AV8R, just take note that the throttle is in front of the base instead of back as usual. From a personal POV, I find this quite idiotic simply because you have take your hand off the throttle or the stick to press the buttons on the rear end of the base. Whereas with the afore mentioned Saitek (or any other joystick that has buttons on the side/back of the base and throttle there too), you can keep your thumb on the throttle and use the rest of the fingers to press the buttons on the sides of the base.

AV8R
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 03:20 PM   #3
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

The EVO Cyborg's the one that comes with the adjustable button set and whatnot, right? What's the base like on it? (Light/heavy) Personally, I hate when the joystick is so light that the entire thing jerks around every time I pull on it. ()

Also, I plan on using the joystick with the X52 throttle, so any sliders/throttles that come with said joystick will just be assigned to flaps or prop pitch or whatever other function I have left over.

Edit: also also, anyone have any experience with Thrustmaster's T.1600000000000000m? From what I've read the 3D Hall Effect magnetic technobabble sensors are supposed to be pretty sweet, but then again I can't find any reviews from a flight sim website.

Last edited by Weiss Pinguin; 05-05-10 at 03:30 PM.
Weiss Pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 04:16 PM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Yes, the thumb buttons on the stick can be tilted and moved slightly to suit your hand, also the hand rest can be switched to the other side if you're left handed.

The base isn't very heavy, but the size and the shape of it makes it quite hard to 'tip over' (As in, if you use that kind of force that is needed to tip it considerably, you might want to have few joysticks in spare ).
Old 05-05-10, 04:28 PM   #5
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
The base isn't very heavy, but the size and the shape of it makes it quite hard to 'tip over' (As in, if you use that kind of force that is needed to tip it considerably, you might want to have few joysticks in spare ).
I might have to check it out then
Old 05-05-10, 09:46 PM   #6
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001CXYMFS

http://flightsimulatorxmissions.com/...iewtopic&t=998

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 03:42 AM   #7
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Yes I also have to recommend the Saitek EVO Cyborg. I've had mine for 5 years now and have not had a single problem. Works great.
Old 05-06-10, 03:58 AM   #8
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Using the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force here too, great stick.

HunterICX
Old 05-06-10, 03:20 PM   #9
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Seems the general consensus is to stay as far away from the Cyborg as possible Anyone know anything about the Cyborg X? Twin throttles and about as many buttons, also it's a shiny black
Old 05-06-10, 03:44 PM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

If I'm not badly mistaken the Cyborg X comes in two parts, the base and the stick. Always a bad idea and heigthens the risk of it breaking.
Old 05-06-10, 03:55 PM   #11
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
If I'm not badly mistaken the Cyborg X comes in two parts, the base and the stick. Always a bad idea and heigthens the risk of it breaking.
Yeah, that's the only thing I have a problem with, the detachable stick. Bah, I need to get to a store and see these sticks up close.