SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-13, 09:12 PM   #1
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5
Default Any MOD List Suggestion Based on GWX 3.0 or NYGM

Hi, guys, since I've played SH3 a few month, I found that adding mods to this game sometime seem not easy for newbies. There are hundreds of various mods in every fields. Besides, since it's a relatively old game,the version history of some mods could be very long and they were updated out of sync, so many mods may conflict, sometime we even can't find mods because of dead links.

Here may I ask some veteran to post some new and popular mod lists (Especially for NYGM) that we can take as reference, just like "sobers mega mod" for SH5: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192374

Last edited by flaminus; 02-10-13 at 09:36 PM.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:54 PM   #2
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234
Uploads: 0
SHO

Frankly, I have done the Mod Soup thing and found out that keeping it simple is the best.

01_NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
02_NYGM3_New
03_NYGM3_6B
04_Merchant_Fleet_Mod_3.2
05_3rd Flotilla Mod
06_NYGM HiRes Submarines
07_MFM-Interim-Beta_NYGM
CaptainAmericaOfficerIcons
HSI to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4_Addon_for_V16B1_06-12
Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)

Thats all I run these days!

Happy Hunting!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 04:02 AM   #3
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Flaminus,

I think all players of SH3 need to be clear within themselves as to why they are playing the game.

Some players want a simulation of the U-boat war.
A larger number of players prefer the experience of standing in a U-boat and looking around at the sights. This is often described as 'immersion'.

If you want the simulation, it is much better to have as few mods as possible on your set-up, because you are going to travel far and wide around the seas, encounter many other ships and objects, and the fewer different objects that you encounter, the better your chances of avoiding computer crashes (CTDs) during play or, especially, when reloading a saved game. Those few mods that you install should affect game play, not game appearance.

If you want the immersion, then you will probably want as many mods as possible, to change the flag position, to change the colour of the U-boat propellors, to put the right medals on the crew uniforms, to populate the harbours and so on. That is when the problem of so-called 'mod-soup' arises.

NYGM was designed for those who want simulation. As Wilcke says, it is much better to keep the mod list short, and his game list is very similar to mine.

One minor point: the mod 'HSI to V16B1 (JSGME)' should refer to 'HSIE' or better 'H.SIE' - a critical upgrade that changes hard-code defects in the original SH3.exe file. You can find it in H.sie's sticky thread, at the top of this SH3 Mods page.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 11:51 PM   #4
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
@Flaminus,

I think all players of SH3 need to be clear within themselves as to why they are playing the game.

Some players want a simulation of the U-boat war.
A larger number of players prefer the experience of standing in a U-boat and looking around at the sights. This is often described as 'immersion'.

If you want the simulation, it is much better to have as few mods as possible on your set-up, because you are going to travel far and wide around the seas, encounter many other ships and objects, and the fewer different objects that you encounter, the better your chances of avoiding computer crashes (CTDs) during play or, especially, when reloading a saved game. Those few mods that you install should affect game play, not game appearance.

If you want the immersion, then you will probably want as many mods as possible, to change the flag position, to change the colour of the U-boat propellors, to put the right medals on the crew uniforms, to populate the harbours and so on. That is when the problem of so-called 'mod-soup' arises.

NYGM was designed for those who want simulation. As Wilcke says, it is much better to keep the mod list short, and his game list is very similar to mine.

One minor point: the mod 'HSI to V16B1 (JSGME)' should refer to 'HSIE' or better 'H.SIE' - a critical upgrade that changes hard-code defects in the original SH3.exe file. You can find it in H.sie's sticky thread, at the top of this SH3 Mods page.

Stiebler.

, I understand. Thanks a lot for those advice.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 09:07 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

For GWX start with this thread.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170090

I don't agree with the title of that thread, as there is no 'Best'. Also note that while it says "GWX" in the title, in fact a great many of those mods work with any supermod as well as the stock game. What it really is, is a sampler of what's out there.

As Stiebler said, it always comes down to what you want from your game. I'm kind of caught between the two concepts. There was a time when I just wanted to blow things up. then I graduated to wanting to blow things up realistically. Now I'm at the other extreme: I follow orders exactly and don't complain when I spend an entire patrol and never see an enemy ship. Since I was in the navy and miss it I like seeing all the sights in the harbor and locks in the canals. But that's just me making excuses for myself.

If what you want is to experience hyper-realistic combat I think your choice of NYGM is the right one, and since Stiebler is the man keeping that alive and well his advice is probably the best.

One more thing: Don't ever be afraid to ask more questions about specific details. The people here are dedicated to helping everyone get the most out of the game.
Old 04-19-17, 07:14 AM   #6
Harald_Lange
Ensign

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0
gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcke View Post
Frankly, I have done the Mod Soup thing and found out that keeping it simple is the best.

01_NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
02_NYGM3_New
03_NYGM3_6B
04_Merchant_Fleet_Mod_3.2
05_3rd Flotilla Mod
06_NYGM HiRes Submarines
07_MFM-Interim-Beta_NYGM
CaptainAmericaOfficerIcons
HSI to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4_Addon_for_V16B1_06-12
Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)

Thats all I run these days!

Happy Hunting!
Just returned to Subsim after a few years break. I spent hundreds of hours playing NYGM.

I've since got rid of my PC and only own a 2015 Macbook Pro. I'm thinking of giving the above mod setup a go again, but on a Virtualbox setup. Hopefully as the game is quite old, it should run ok in a VM. The added bonus is that once I've got everything configured correctly I can save the virtual disk image to backup drive somewhere, and hopefully it should be portable.

Here's hoping anyway. I'll keep you posted on progress.
Harald_Lange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod list