SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-18, 05:40 PM   #1
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default SH 1.5 loading saved games

I downloaded and installed SH 1.5 without incident, but the only games I can load are those autosaved by SH 1.4. When I load any game I saved in SH 1.4, I get a "Load Game Failed" message.

I tried and successfully loaded one of the autosaved files, then tried to load one of my games but got the same result.

Additionally, under SH 1.4 I never had an issue naming, saving or loading games, whether on the surface nor submerged.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-18, 09:41 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Saved games are very particular about their 'lineage'. If you have Saved Games in stock SH4 v1.4, then you should only attempt to open those Saved Games in stock SH4 v1.4. Same with v1.5. Only open games saved in stock v1.5 in stock v1.5. If you add a mod, only open Saves from that mod. Not any other mod, not stock. Certain parameters in the game change between versions of the game, as well as between mods. You should not mix them. Some files are completely incompatible between the versions, and even between different mods. Generally speaking, it is highly recommended that you clear the old Save folder when making version or mod changes. You could save it away somewhere else, or rename the folder for future use, if you are ever back to that particular version. But don't try to use old Saves...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 01:08 PM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Thanks for the info... I could understand an incompatibility going from SH3 to SH4 but it's a bit aggravating that updating SH4 from 1.4 to 1.5 would allow autosaved games but not permit reopening those saved by the user...

Reckon I could reinstall a separate v1.4, but unsure it's worth the headaches... Thanks again!
Old 07-20-18, 03:02 PM   #4
propbeanie

The only reason the AutoSaves load is because they're in the office, and no ship 3D artwork is drawn. The ones outside of the office have multiple changes.

The use of MultiSH4 will help in any attempt to do multiple "installs", or run multiple copies of SH4 for mods. Remember, when you install the game, it creates a Save folder for itself, which is ~usually~ found at "C:\Users \YourName \My Documents \SH4" or similar, dependent upon the OS you are using. No matter what you do, it always will use that folder. Go through the documentation with MultiSH4, and see if you can get the hang of what is in that. You could also try looking through Rockin Robbins' package Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System (SH4CMS). It does only work with SH4 v1.5 though.

Once SH4 installs, Windows has all of the C++ library stuff it needs, and all of the Registry settings it needs. Therefore, you can have a Stock install, a copy of the Stock install, but with TMO activated, and a Save folder for it (TMO is popular), another with Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (I use FRS for that Save folder), etc., and then don't have to worry about mixing up your Save files. Of course, each install takes over 5 gig of hard drive space, plus the Saves...

Old 07-20-18, 04:44 PM   #5
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

propbeanie knows what he's talking about. He does tend to ramble a bit I think he calls it "oldmantist".

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-18, 05:47 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Believe me, these guys learned how savegames work the HARD way..... It doesn't make sense that it would take ten years to work out basic stuff about the game, but in this case it did. Loading the wrong savegame can kill you.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-18, 01:40 AM   #7
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Many thanks, gents!! Will carry on from the last autosave to finish this career then start investigating other "options"
Old 07-21-18, 09:53 AM   #8
propbeanie

Well, once you get into the game with one of those AutoSaves, you stand a good chance of running into weirdness. The v1.4 Saves are not compatible with v1.5. What I was getting at before is the fact that the game is not trying to display 3D objects in the AutoSave, so it appears to be compatible. But once you start encountering ships , planes & other subs, things might go wonky, even to the point of a game crash. I'm not saying that such is the case 100% of the time -YMMV- just that if the game seems to be coming off the rails, it is probably from using an old save.

Old 07-22-18, 05:00 PM   #9
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, once you get into the game with one of those AutoSaves, you stand a good chance of running into weirdness. The v1.4 Saves are not compatible with v1.5. What I was getting at before is the fact that the game is not trying to display 3D objects in the AutoSave, so it appears to be compatible. But once you start encountering ships , planes & other subs, things might go wonky, even to the point of a game crash. I'm not saying that such is the case 100% of the time -YMMV- just that if the game seems to be coming off the rails, it is probably from using an old save.
Thanks... must have avoided the gremlins as I completed the V1.4 late 1941 mission successfully from the autosaved file (including getting three huge liners a couple of large tankers and three smaller ships... >112000 tons IIRC... Expect to be fully on v1.5 going forward, and will likely just delete all the old v1.4 files as they hold no interest...