SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-15, 02:21 PM   #1
Leon L.
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Silent Hunter IV damage control/repair system

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and from Germany so there may be a few spelling/grammar mistakes ^^

First things first:
I play Silent Hunter IV 1.5 UBM vanilla Steam version.

I wanted to test, rather get used to the damage system. So I started a mission with the Balo class and made myself to an easy target. The depth charges has been dropped quickly and they have hit me mostly at the stern side.
My rear torpedo room was flooded completly, other things broke and I got 32 of hull damage.

Hours later I managed to get away, pumped out the water and repaired everything which has not been destroyed completely but I could not repair the stern torpedo tubes. Three out of four were damaged. (Not destroyed; around 0.45)

I am not that new to the game so I considered about everything that might stop the crew from repairing the tubes.
Anyway, I accelerated time and I saw the tube at 0.44 damage for a short time but it switched back to 0.45.
Could it be due to hull damage? Like the crew is repairing all the time but the hull damage "adds" damage to the tubes either?

Last edited by Leon L.; 07-07-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 02:38 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Welcome aboard!

I've played some SH4 but not nearly enough to have encountered that problem. We do have a lot of experienced players, and someone who can help should be along soon.
Old 07-06-15, 11:33 AM   #3
Leon L.
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hey Sailor Steve,
Thank you for your welcome

I stay tuned for answers. I really like SH4 so I am curious why I got into that situation. As I mentioned it could be a feature I have not known yet as complex as the game is.
Old 07-06-15, 02:36 PM   #4
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Ahoy Mate. some damage to your sub can only be repaired in port. Hull damage and other major damage.
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 02:37 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Leon L.!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-15, 05:10 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Leon

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-15, 09:25 AM   #7
Leon L.
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I appreciate the quick replies and I am starting to enjoy the time here on SubSim!

Quote:
some damage to your sub can only be repaired in port. Hull damage and other major damage.
Yeah I know that ^^ (It is a pity when your diesel engines got destroyed and you are runnig out of battery charge)
I was wondering why my crew could not repair the rear torpedo tubes which has not been destroyed completely (The red bar said 0.45).
Just to be sure: It is possible to repair torpedo tubes with the crew aboard, isn't it?

Last edited by Leon L.; 07-08-15 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 11:26 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I am not an expert on repair or damage control, but I've goofed around with some of the relevant files, so I can make some educated guesses.

First, hull damage is not repairable at sea (you probably knew that already).

Second, the compartments and subsystems have sections in the **.upc files, which define characteristics of this sort. High levels of damage would likely require higher levels of crew skill to repair, as well as greater lengths of time, and may not be possible as a practical matter.

Btw, the same mechanics apply to your human crewmen. Minor wounds will probably heal ok, more serious wounds might require a medic with high skill, if such is even possible.

Some repair times (or heal times) may be such that even a 90 day patrol would not be enough, making them, in effect, beyond repair.

I don't really know much about compartment flooding, pumps and those matters. Usually, my boat is either in good condition, or sunk.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 09:00 AM   #9
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

There is an awful lot to understand in the damage model .. but essentially the definitions in various UPC files (for bulkheads, other equipment and then the compartments in the subs main UPC file) all affect how fast repair can be performed and more importantly, to what level something can be repaired (some items definitions mean they can not be 100% repaired) ... and even then my testing found some very strange behaviour suggesting it ignores the UPC files sometimes. I learned everything I know from Observer over on this forum / thread;

http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1378

If you really want to understand how damage model works, read the whole thread.
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote