SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-15, 08:51 AM   #91
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 03:30 PM   #92
arnesw
Watch

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbysmiley View Post
Has anyone figured out how to extract the sh5.exe from the 1.2 patch without using the cabinet file viewer (cfv). I downloaded the cfv on the link provided in this thread but can't get it to run.

If it is as simple as replacing the steam sh5.exe with the DVD sh5.exe why can't someone just upload the sh5.exe from their DVD installation or for that file to be included in the generic patcher? Or would that be a TOS violation?
I got it to work with the CFV, and patched my Steam-game yesterday. Worked like a charm! You need to follow the doc to the letter.

Getting the CFV to work is really the hardest part of this. In my case, I had to download two files from Microsoft. It is documented in THEBERBSTER's Tutorial Post #161 where you download the files, and how to make them work. The error message from the CFV will tell you which file(s) you're missing.

What I did, that is not mentioned in the tutorial, is that I ran my zip-tools and the cmd-line as administrator (right click-> run as administrator). Since you're dealing with system files, I figured it would be less hassle this way.

I'm running Windows 10.
arnesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 04:08 PM   #93
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi arnesw

I have added your post link to my tutorial post #161.
Good information is always useful to share.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 08:00 PM   #94
artbysmiley
Nub

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnesw View Post
I got it to work with the CFV, and patched my Steam-game yesterday. Worked like a charm! You need to follow the doc to the letter.

Getting the CFV to work is really the hardest part of this. In my case, I had to download two files from Microsoft. It is documented in THEBERBSTER's Tutorial Post #161 where you download the files, and how to make them work. The error message from the CFV will tell you which file(s) you're missing.

What I did, that is not mentioned in the tutorial, is that I ran my zip-tools and the cmd-line as administrator (right click-> run as administrator). Since you're dealing with system files, I figured it would be less hassle this way.

I'm running Windows 10.
Oh haha I guess I should have read the entire instructions first before attempting this because you are right. I do get the missing file errors as outlined at the very bottom of the instructions. I will download those missing files and try again. Thank you. That's reassuring cause I'm running windows 10 as well.

I've got CFV working. Thanks. I discovered that the two missing files that give the errors when trying to run icvf are actually included with the icfv download. So I just moved them to my syswow64 folder followed the cmd prompt instruction in the original post. And you are right I had to run the cmd line as administrator in order to get that to work properly. Now I have a dvd version sh5.exe 1.2 in my steam folder. Haven't tried installing the genericpatcher yet but it is looking promising.

Last edited by artbysmiley; 11-06-15 at 12:23 AM. Reason: adding to
artbysmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 12:21 PM   #95
Furir Löfvall
Nub

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbysmiley View Post
I've got CFV working. Thanks. I discovered that the two missing files that give the errors when trying to run icvf are actually included with the icfv download. So I just moved them to my syswow64 folder followed the cmd prompt instruction in the original post. And you are right I had to run the cmd line as administrator in order to get that to work properly. Now I have a dvd version sh5.exe 1.2 in my steam folder. Haven't tried installing the genericpatcher yet but it is looking promising.
How exactly did you manage this? I've tried with a couple of different links to the CFV, all found here on the forums, but none of them contain the missing files I appear to need. Could you please provide links to the files/CFV you used that worked for you

Last edited by Furir Löfvall; 12-12-15 at 12:30 PM.
Furir Löfvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 03:33 PM   #96
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Furir Löfvall!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 09:30 AM   #97
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Furir

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 09:04 PM   #98
WilhelmWulf
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 8

Hi, I've been having some issues with the InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer, it refuses to run saying that mscomctl.ocx is missing, and I can't find it anywhere. I went to Microsoft, and the download that they directed me to didn't actually have the file. I can't seem to find the file anywhere, at least, not anywhere that I trust to download it from. Does just having a non-steam .exe work? Is there a way I can just get that?
WilhelmWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 02:51 PM   #99
kazhiryu187
Swabbie

Downloads: 68

Can't get a working copy of installshield cabinet file viewer. the link in one of the replys worked but the link for the missing file doesn't so i'm stuck and ready to give up at this point.
kazhiryu187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 07:51 PM   #100
THEBERBSTER

It works here in my tutorial.
Post #161 TDW’s Generic File Patcher Steam Installation Instructions By sirrawsrsalot

Peter
Old 01-21-16, 08:50 PM   #101
kazhiryu187
Swabbie

Downloads: 68

It works!! thanks, THEBERBSTER!
kazhiryu187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-16, 01:29 PM   #102
Furir Löfvall
Nub

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
It doesn't work for me. I'm still missing that mscomctl.ocx file which means I can't even install the program. From what I've read that asset is simply not used anymore on new computers or rather computers with a newer OS. Other suggestions for fixes?
Old 02-19-16, 12:41 PM   #103
The Mad Asshatter
Seaman

Downloads: 51

May I also have the missing files to get this fix to work? Seems like the files are only being PMed.
The Mad Asshatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 06:48 PM   #104
THEBERBSTER

The missing mscomctl.ocx file can be downloaded from the link below.
http://www.ocxdump.com/download-ocx-.../download.html
Peter
Old 05-02-16, 09:12 AM   #105
kiinteistoesijoitus
Watch

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
This is for those who have the Steam version of the game!

Find your \Silent Hunter 5 folder and move it to your desktop and rename it 'Silent Hunter 5 save' (cut it so it no longer exists at it's current location but rather on your desktop). Make a copy of steam's sh5.exe and name it sh5-steam.exe. Run the official v1.2 patch from Ubicrap saying yes you want to install even though you are already at v1.2
I'm completely puzzled meanwhile, I've read 100s of threads . I'm having SH5 Steam und silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe - What you wrote seemed like the best solution. So I renamed the SH5 folder in Steam Dir... but the UBI installer says: "This patch cannot be installed with the current game version".

Do all mods (I want to install Wolves of Steel) rely on exe patching? Or can some only be applied by copy over \data folder? E.g. Open Horizons?
kiinteistoesijoitus is offline   Reply With Quote