SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-15, 05:56 PM   #1
btown1717
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Icon7 SH4 U-boat: Crashing Problems, any ideas?

I know this topic has been on here before, but none of the other threads have helped me. I can get into game, and into the first campaign mission. However as soon as I hit a ship with a torpedo the game crashes to the desktop. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I have tried the 4gb patch fix and the cff explorer fix found on this forum. However nothing has worked so far. I have no mods installed, other than the u-boat. Also I have the game through steam, if that makes a difference. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm really eager to keep playing. Also Here is my system info if that's needed:

Geforce GTX760
AMD FX 6300 six core
16gb ram
windows 7 home premium

Thanks for any help.
btown1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-15, 07:43 AM   #2
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by btown1717 View Post
I know this topic has been on here before, but none of the other threads have helped me. I can get into game, and into the first campaign mission. However as soon as I hit a ship with a torpedo the game crashes to the desktop. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I have tried the 4gb patch fix and the cff explorer fix found on this forum. However nothing has worked so far. I have no mods installed, other than the u-boat. Also I have the game through steam, if that makes a difference. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm really eager to keep playing. Also Here is my system info if that's needed:

Geforce GTX760
AMD FX 6300 six core
16gb ram
windows 7 home premium

Thanks for any help.
You say you have the game downloaded from Steam? That means you purchased the basic game of SH4, then had to purchase their U-Boat Missions Addon seperately.....Two different downloads.

You've got plenty of memory (16gb), you say you're using the "4gb patch fix and the cff explorer fix found on this forum". I'm not familiar with either as much as I am with the Large Address Aware application (which I believe does about the same thing). I know the LAA works well.....As I said, I don't know about the ones you've tried.

You didn't mention which version of Windows 7 do you have......the 32 bit version, or the 64 bit? This will make a difference in how much of a memory gain you'll get when applying it to the games .exe file. With a 32 bit Operating System you'll get a 1gb gain in memory capabilities......with a 64 bit OS, you'll gain 2gb's. The game will never use any more of your 16 gb of memory but, a 64 bit OS will double the games capabilities.

That being said, there are a couple of things you need to do with a Windows 7 OS when installing the game.

1. Install it in another folder other than the default "Programs" or "Programs x86" folder. Make another folder on your C:/ drive.....call it "My Games" (or anything you like) and have the game installed there. Putting it on a D:/ drive (if you have one) is OK too.

2. When using the install wizard, let the game install it's DirectX componants......that means having the check mark next to the install DirectX question when prompted. You probably have something greater than the DirectX 9.0c that the game uses.....yet, let the install wizard check and add as it see's fit. You might have DirectX version 10 or 11, but that doesn't mean it has all the components that the 9.0c version uses.

You say you've already uninstalled the game, and re installed. Did you get rid of all remnants of the game within the "Registry"? Use this thread as a guide when uninstalling.

Also, find your "Documents" folder and delete the "SH4" folder. This folder is made everytime you first start the game.....it keeps all your optional game settings like screen resolution there, as well as your automatically and self made "Save" game points. Get rid of it. It will be remade the next time you start the game.

============

'Course, I'm not a Steam fan!! Downloading information means they have control of you.

If I were you, I'd buy a disk version of the game. iNetVideo sells them for probably less than your Steam download!! At the current price of 14.99, plus needing to pay shipping, THAT isn't bad at all.

And.......WELCOME to SubSim btown1717!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-02-16 at 09:53 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-15, 05:31 AM   #3
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

I have the original cd version and I have had sporadic crashes since day one. This is the third pc I have had sh4 on, this is an intel 7i quad core, with nvidia a powerful nvidia card and 16gb ram and hybrid HDD. I am on 1.4 and mods. Although it does not matter which mods I use, still happens.

I was sailing happily home after a successful mission 2 days ago and blam, I am looking at a window telling me SH4 has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution. It never finds one though and never comes back to me.

MY own fault partly, I should save after every encounter. But a major cause for blood pressure!!!

Ubisoft are famous for bugged games. Far Cry 1 was riddled, Far Cry 2 is riddled (even more so), SH4 has bugs. I ddont think ubisoft know how to produce a fluid, running, game - seems to be beyond their comprehension.

Shame another company does not take up the Pacific War as a going concern, I would buy it.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, crash fix, crash to desktop, memory, sh4