Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-18, 08:19 PM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Sun and moon attack variable

Here is a weird one for you. Does the moon and the sun affect your attack in this game? Every book I’ve ever read says that a U-boat would attack with the sun behind them and the moon in front of them. For purposes of not being seen by the enemy, does this game also model that?

I have attempted to identify any files that may adjust variables for this matter. But I have not found any yet.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 10:19 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The sun doesn't play any role for me AFAIK, but I know that the moonlight can make your sub easier to spot, I just don't remember if it's when you have the moon in front together with your targets, or if it's behind when the enemies are looking in your direction and also looking towards the moon. I think it's this first one that gets you spotted earlier, the watch crew doesn't get blinded in that case, having a better contrast with their glasses, and some 'unusual' reflected wakes could be better spotted, so the watch crew would see your wake trail before spotting your sub (provided ofc that the sea is not rough, or they don't stand any chance to spot you). But that's my speculation only, was it so in real life ? And in TWoS?

Generally I go with the approx formula that when you first spot an enemy ship at night, you can go between 1/2 and 2/3 of that distance closer before they spot you provided you keep your bow pointed to them and don't go too fast. Moonlight can change all this, but I have yet to get sure about that.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-08-18 at 10:51 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 07:39 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

In the past, I have read what B. Gruner, sub captain in the Pacific had to say about optics. He simply said that they were 'useless at night'. He didn't say that moonlight would enhance them in any way, so this would mean that moonlight is only a disadvantage for your sub in still waters and you have to be more careful.

In rough waters instead you would have a big advantage being able to see targets further away without them being able to spot you (or only when it's too late). But destroyers could fire fireworks in your direction if they suspect you close. But I haven't heard one example where the Japs were using this, they had very powerful glasses, but powerful also means: low contrast when looking far, less light capture and thus reduced capability.

Then, in theory, your sub could be spotted if the sun reflection from your optics are detected, but I have never heard that this was the reason for a detection.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-09-18 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-09-18, 06:31 PM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

So the moon is modeled into the game where I could be seen prior to an attack?
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 07:34 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

There is a configuration file that contains the distances for detection, weapon data, and pretty all things related to gamplay. In order to not get my game spoiled I have just roughly taken a look to know what's inside, but I closed it after 20 seconds. I think if I knew everything I would not play the game anymore. And that would be a pitty
If you are interested in the game I advice you NOT to take a look, the mania to 'know' everything usually does no good...Sigmund Freud would say: those are infantile dreams, he didn't know about VR...
Except of course if you only mod the game. But then, this file should be the first one taking your attention, don't you think?

If the moon/sun plays any role then it would be there inside, or in the 'environment' files (less likely, because they rather establish the grafics rather than gameplay sim).

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-09-18 at 07:48 PM.