SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-17, 07:53 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

One auhtor wrote about the porblem in a German text recently. Certain things (like certain tpyes of drop down menus) now simply are prohibited and/or are no longer possible in the nex code of FF. Its NOT the authors fault. They take all the p!$$ from people for a mess that was created by the change of Firefox decision makers which set it up on essentially Chrome.

Again: they cannot and are not allowed to make certain things anymore. This also is to prevent addons slowing down FF. Speed over privacy, speed over safety. Thats is why several authors have given up. For example I used Single Side Bar, the author said he is no longer allowed to offer several of the features due to them beign drop down menus, it has also been made impossible by the new software standards he has to deal with. Several mouse gesture apps have been discontinued and their authors leaving in anger as well, as another exmaple. Its Mozilla's fault, not mod authors's fault. The authors have my respect, and my sympathy for what they did over the past years.

Rocking Robbins, I cannot find anything about Vivaldi and it sprivacy proteciton and accoridng modules. Is there stuff possible like Ghostery, Anti-beacon, anti-autoscripts, add blockers, anti super-cookies? Just looks and speed is not important for me, and what they say about Vivaldi beign for super-users, also is no bait at all for me.
Old 11-25-17, 09:31 PM   #17
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Guys
Why do I get a time delay with Firefox before I can do anything on Subsim whether it is entering text or waiting for the hand to show before I can click on a tab?
Google is instantaneous and no problem in that way although I have to remove text formatting which I do not with Firefox.
Peter
I have no delay with FF 57 running on Win 7 64. Also no delay opening Tabs or new Tabs in different sub-forums here or anywhere else that I've noticed. FF 57 seems much faster than the 56x versions. As a test I just opened a large news site with many video's (Lou Dobbs on FBN) in a new tab and it popped open as fast as the sub-forums here.

'Running AddBlock plus' although it is disabled here, and 'FVD Flash Video Downloader' - no other Extensions.

My FF is configured to delete History when it closes, so all pages load as if for the first visit.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 07:02 PM   #18
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Holy cow! That wasn't an article, that was a commercial. The sad fact is that after you peel back the UI, Chrome, Firefox and Vivaldi are the same browser. All are built on the Chrome or Chromium engine. As such, none will have an advantage that the others won't immediately share.

Vivaldi has announced that if they can grow their development team, they'd be glad to dump the Chromium engine if they develop a better one. That won't apparently happen any time soon.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 06:30 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

It was quoted that certain things that the now missing addons for Firefox before could do, could not be done anymore due to their new Chromium-based engine. So I do not see any advantage valid for myself. The thing should brwose me through the web, not more, not less. Then I can stay with Firefox, for its interface is kind of familiar. Changes for the sake of just chnaging something, are no chnages for me.

Brwosers become another monoculture. And one bug hitting one, is the one bug that hits all.

And privacy protection, once the outstanding argument of Opera and Firefox? Sayonara.