Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 01-28-09, 03:36 PM   #1
romeoecho
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Panzer Elite Special Edition re-released

Hi all,

Just wanted folks to know that a company called Good Old Games (gog.com) just re-released Panzer Elite SE for $10 US. The great thing is that the game is comes ready to play in Vista or WinXP. I registered, paid for it, downloaded it, and now am playing in WinXP without having to fiddle around and setting it to play as "win98" or anything like that.

The other cool thing is that you get to download the mods, manual, tools, and a desktop theme once you buy the game from gog.

I've played around with it for a bit in instant action (as the Americans) but I'm thoroughly confused as how to use the gunner's reticle sight. And the game manual does not tell you how to use it.

Does anyone have a link to any web articles that discuss how to aim effectively as the gunner? Particularly how to judge whether you are aiming too high or too low? I can't seem to tell the difference. I am using the realistic ballistics setting.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-09, 04:14 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Could this be of help, hopefully?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144786

Do you mean the real old Panzer Elite SE, or the new game from John Wood company, using the same title? Both are two different games that have nothing to do with each other.
Old 01-28-09, 04:27 PM   #3
romeoecho
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The old Panzer Elite SE, developed by Wings Simulations, circa 2001.

Oh, and the link is helpful for when I eventually switch to playing the Germans. But right now I have trouble understanding my own country's gunsight (i.e. United States).

I know, its weird that I want to start by playing the American side in a game called Panzer Elite, but I'm weird that way.
Old 01-28-09, 07:23 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Look what candy I've found :

http://www.simhq.com/_land/armor_arc..._Dev_Group.zip

http://www.simhq.com/_land/armor_arc...101_Part_2.zip

These are zip-archives of html-documents. Find the html icon to launch them. The first has two folders with two html's. One of them is dedicated to gunnery in PE.

Difficult to find more on a game almost ten years old. All my old links I had hidden in one abandoned corner of my HD do not work anymore.
Old 01-29-09, 09:43 AM   #5
romeoecho
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Skybird, thank you so much!

Those two links are exactly what I was looking for! The Dev group link in particular has an article on how to use the sights for both German and American tanks.

Oh, and I tried out a single scenario for about 15 minutes before going to bed. The Amis (us) were on defense, waiting for an expected German attack. I liked it because then I was able to experiment with ordering my platoon into the exact positions that I wanted, and also experimenting with how to get my tank into hull-down position.

I guess I'll save instant action for when I just want to blow stuff up