SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-15, 11:36 AM   #76
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Chesapeake bugeyes and log canoes

I'm bugeyed over this ol Cheasapeake oyster dredger Edna Lockwood Then of course there's the ultimate: Chesapeake Log Canoe racer such as the Edmee S.seen racing http://www.coastalliving.com/travel/chesapeake-bay-log-canoe-racing
Log canoes really are made of logs, usually three or five fastened together and then hollowed out and shaped to create a hull. A couple of centuries ago, the bay teemed with the sturdy, graceful craft. “They were your family pickup truck,” . Watermen used them to harvest oysters and fish. Farmers filled them with crops to market. And when two or more boats were heading in the same direction, sometimes a trip turned into a race.
Fewer than two dozen log canoes remain, most of them built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. All have retired from their working careers. About half still actively race. Their owners have turned these pickup trucks into sports cars by “overcanvasing”―piling ridiculous amounts of sail onto ever-taller masts―which makes them prone to capsizing. According to the rules of the Chesapeake Bay Log Sailing Canoe Association, the only penalty for sail area is an inability to keep the boat upright. “It’s self-handicapping,”. Oddly, the reliable dog bred to guard the oyster boats is now recognized as the Chesapeake Bay Retriever-my cousin, a renowned HobieCat racer, raises them. The Official dog of Maryland!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-15, 02:50 PM   #77
bertieck476
Chief

Downloads: 33

A couple of nice pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02105.jpg (87.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02104.jpg (86.4 KB, 83 views)
bertieck476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-15, 03:24 PM   #78
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Hey that second thumbnail is seriously great composition shot ...can you repost that enlarged at full size??!!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 12-23-15, 06:13 PM   #79
bertieck476
Chief

I dont know how, its not on the internet its one off my pc and from what I can see I can only upload as a attachment and then it appears as a thumbnail, of course you can click it and it goes large.
Its a pity about the first pic, if not for the top of the topsail cut off it would be pretty good.
Old 01-01-16, 01:11 PM   #80
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Allow Me Sir!

This has great contrast/composition (sail color) and angle of the vessel against the very straight shoreline with the 'cut of the jibs'! Kudos to the photog he got it perfectly framed in the viewfinder IMHO while 'shootin' on the fly':

Old 01-01-16, 01:34 PM   #81
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

What a beautiful looking boat! I can imagine sailing it now, down the coast of an exotic, tropic island. What a contrast to dark, rainy Germany, though it does have it's advantages
Went a bit off topic there. Anyway, great picture!
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 04:30 PM   #82
bertieck476
Chief

Thankyou Actungbby for sorting the picture, does it justice full size.

Thanks for the appreciative comments, she is a fantastic boat and I have had many years cruising and racing her. She's a pure sailer at 40ft on deck (56.5ft overall) and engineless.
She was built in 1897 primarily for oyster dredging and had a extensive rebuild in the mid 1990s.

I have several other good photos of her that I could post if...
1. people dont get fed up of them
2. how do I upload from my pc because the two I have already uploaded dont allow me to upload anymore. (near max attachment storage). Can I remove the attchments or will that remove the big picture from actungs post???

thanks Bert.

Last edited by bertieck476; 01-01-16 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 04:52 PM   #83
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1. Well we won't get fed up! 2. I lack the expertise on app to advise on attachment deletions. perhaps a PM to a photo thread guru would be advisable. I think the thread worth keeping alive! We seem to have a lot of sail oriented buffs.

Old 01-01-16, 07:25 PM   #84
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I had hundreds of photos of Sailing ships from all around the world.

It was during the Tall Ship Race 1988, which was from Carlscrona and I was in the Swedish navy at that time, so I toke a lot of photos with my "analog" camera.

As I wrote above I had-a majority of these have vanished, from moving from one place to another.

I also want to build one of these especially HMS Victory or the Sovereign of the Seas

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 08:10 AM   #85
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieck476 View Post
Thankyou Actungbby for sorting the picture, does it justice full size.

Thanks for the appreciative comments, she is a fantastic boat and I have had many years cruising and racing her. She's a pure sailer at 40ft on deck (56.5ft overall) and engineless.
She was built in 1897 primarily for oyster dredging and had a extensive rebuild in the mid 1990s.

I have several other good photos of her that I could post if...
1. people dont get fed up of them
2. how do I upload from my pc because the two I have already uploaded dont allow me to upload anymore. (near max attachment storage). Can I remove the attchments or will that remove the big picture from actungs post???

thanks Bert.
This is what I'm currently using:

http://imgur.com/

Click on epload images at top left.

If the images are on your pc click on browse your computer.

A search box will open, navigate to where your image is then click on open.

The box will disappear and you'll return to your original box.

Click on start upload and a share this image with multiple options will appear.

Click on BBCodes (Forums) link and copy and paste the link into your SubSim message box.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 08:18 AM   #86
bertieck476
Chief

Cheers for the info Jimbuna
Old 01-02-16, 08:22 AM   #87
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

You're most welcome matey.

Old 01-03-16, 12:27 PM   #88
bertieck476
Chief

Leisurely trip back from a local regatta
Old 01-03-16, 04:35 PM   #89
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I purchased some old photo albums at a auction that had many pics from 1800's to early 1900's, mostly sailing ships and great lake ships. Here's one of some older sailing ships, no clue ...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-16, 06:38 AM   #90
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Italian tall ship Amerigo Vespucci