Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-12, 11:00 AM   #16
hitmanuw
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post

Google, comrades.. Google is your best friend..
agree with you ...without google i'm a walking dead man
Old 08-10-12, 11:22 AM   #17
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
Whilst i have no personal problem with the current system (as I'm patient and a quick google finds many alternative sources for most downloads anyway) it does seem a tad unfair/ineffectual.
Limiting data quantity vs number of downloads would seem the obvious solution, making all parties happier and achieving much more in terms of minimising hosting costs than the current arrangement.

ed
interesting idea of a limit based on data size? just not sure how that would work as the cut off might result in corrupting a download. plus how to address the huge size of some mods like tmo and rfb that add up to enough data so you could get 30-40 or more downloads to equal that size.

remember, the idea with number limits on downloads is so the next guy can get his downloads too and it doesnt slow down the servers on the site.

i just lost all my files and had to redownload my own mods to get them back so yes its frustrating being limited but i just did 10 each day and i got them back. new members who want ALL of the mods out there just need to do the same.

my advice is to just make a list of mods you want then use the list to prioritze then 10 you need most so you dont waste downloads on things you can wait for and get tomorrow. using your list you google search for them and as i did you can find most of them elsewhere and then use your 10 downloads here for the ones you cant find.

do you realise how rare it is to need more then 10 mods in one day? for such a rare occurance why redo the system that is working fine?
Old 08-10-12, 12:14 PM   #18
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658
Uploads: 0

I'm finding the SS limit very frustrating because last week I lost all my downloaded and saved mods for SH 5. I'm trying to get them back again but it's a very slow process on 2 counts. Those I lost that came from FileFront and GameFront is really painful. Since their merger it's been a hit or miss even getting on their website. Even the newest mods uploaded to GF are near impossible to get.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 12:27 PM   #19
Thylacine
Watch

Downloads: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
interesting idea of a limit based on data size? just not sure how that would work as the cut off might result in corrupting a download. plus how to address the huge size of some mods like tmo and rfb that add up to enough data so you could get 30-40 or more downloads to equal that size.

remember, the idea with number limits on downloads is so the next guy can get his downloads too and it doesnt slow down the servers on the site.

i just lost all my files and had to redownload my own mods to get them back so yes its frustrating being limited but i just did 10 each day and i got them back. new members who want ALL of the mods out there just need to do the same.

my advice is to just make a list of mods you want then use the list to prioritze then 10 you need most so you dont waste downloads on things you can wait for and get tomorrow. using your list you google search for them and as i did you can find most of them elsewhere and then use your 10 downloads here for the ones you cant find.

do you realise how rare it is to need more then 10 mods in one day? for such a rare occurance why redo the system that is working fine?

Hosting fees are generally based on bandwidth.
Downloading one hundred mods that are all under a few megabytes is analogous cost-wise to someone browsing the fora here for a while, whereas a single one gigabyte download may be noticable. The current system would allow me to download the ten largest files in the database (each day) but would deny someone 100MB of small mods.
The hosting costs are tied to bandwidth usage so only limiting this will decrease fees incurred.
Limiting users to 50MB/day or so seems poor cost-management.

ed
Thylacine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 02:34 PM   #20
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

As you can see, I've downloaded several mods myself (You created a mod junkie with me!). When I first saw that I had been limited to 10 a few weeks ago, I thought that somehow I had been demoted. The explanation satisfied me. I rarely need to get more than 10 anymore and I have a flash drive plus a couple of other Backups just for the Mods for SH 3-4 and 5. When I had to wait, it was only one more day, that's 20 mods in two days (and I didn't need all that). That's a lot of mods for that amount of time.
If someone has some kind of emergency where they've lost their drive and all their data, maybe Subsim could put up a special contact page and providing it is quick enough to be worth the effort, givin a special gold key to open up the dam for a day. This contact post or whatever could be used specifically for Members who have to download 100 mods or so to run their game and someone who is a basic contributing member. With an explanation they could somehow get a key for a day. I dunno' I'm just thinkin' of something that everyone could agree on. Maybe it's not possible.
For now, 10's good!
Thank you Modder's
D40
Old 08-10-12, 03:15 PM   #21
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Or obey the golden rule of computing - backup, backup, and backup again! I don't see why Subsim should open up downloads especially because someone didn't.

I can't talk, by the way, I'm terrible for it.

And you can only backup what you've downloaded, which is no use to any new guys.
Old 08-10-12, 04:07 PM   #22
DelphiUniverse
中国水兵

Downloads: 125

I think that people should continue to use external file hosting services like many already do, and if they don't, they should combine this file section with an external file hosting service.
Old 08-10-12, 04:19 PM   #23
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Maybe the existing post-limit system could have another tier added - if a member has a post count of, I dunno, 200 or higher, they're evidently contributing something to the community. Maybe double the limit for those members?

Just a thought. I've never encountered the limit beyond the restriction to first post, even when I was modding SH5 heavily, though external sites do help as well.
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 04:43 PM   #24
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Just a thought. I've never encountered the limit beyond the restriction to first post
Actually I don't remember encountering the limit either after I signed up for the first time. New feature?
Old 08-11-12, 03:53 PM   #25
Timmo76
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthird623 View Post
Without the mods, the game is poorly done. If you have a poor game you will not have as many people interested in playing it.
Not as many playing = not as many using this web site. The tips and help on this website are invaluable and pick up where a woeful UB dropped the ball. UB should be paying for this site.
I really am done now
I agree. It's the fans putting in the work to make this sim the product the developers should have been. If it takes a small download hurdle for us all to gain access to their work I have no problem.
Timmo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 07:55 PM   #26
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

just remember guys there is a lot going on at this website besides just the subsims and neal created the download section to give the members an added bonus that goes along with membership here so for the rare times that you do encounter the minor inconvienience of a download limit making you wait 24 hours to get the rest of your downloads, i think its pretty petty to be complaining about download limits considering its all provided for you for free.
Old 08-11-12, 08:49 PM   #27
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

All frustration aside Web, I do agree with ya. Patience is what we all need. We don'treally mean to ruffle feathers... especially Neal's. You've explained things very well, so no more from me.

Without SubSim we'd all be scrod. Time for us to suck it up and live with the way things are.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 09:32 PM   #28
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

I have only noticed and suffered this limit now, since I have (finally) capitulated and am trying to follow sober's uber-mod-soup so I think we can live with it too.

Maybe a relaxation of such limits for donors would be a matter for thought, since it may encourage contributing.
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 03:02 PM   #29
Zanarkin
Seaman

Downloads: 17

I'm sorta confused. I have downloaded a bunch of mods from here since I started playing a week or so ago and haven't seen this issue? Granted, most of the popular mods steer to various file hosting sites and only a rare few actually had a in house zip link. The largest single mod I have acquired was over 5 gigs for the full on radio mod with gigs of music but that was on that other sub website.

I have my game set up quite nice with all these mods and can't imagine continuing to muddy the game with more and more? I'm at the point I have all the 'big stuff' and even 'little stuff' and when browsing there's nothing left that looks appealing other than truly tiny tiny things.

Which mods are must haves for the game that you want yet have no off site link posted? I assume if it was 'good' it would have so much demand that it would have off site file hosting right?
Zanarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 07:38 PM   #30
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkin View Post
I'm sorta confused.
there is no size limit on downloads, members here are limited to only 10 downloads per day (24 hours) no matter how big they are so that ALL members can access to downloads and at the same time it would NOT slow down the website servers.

i dont know the specifics of the website but this is the most efficient way it can be done so thats why it was done that way. if and when the website can find a way to have unlimited downloads in one day then im sure they will