Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-12, 04:51 AM   #1
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0
Default Download limit

What's the point having a download section in the forums if you are allowed to download one file (exaggerated) per month? I'm following Sober's mega mod guide for SHV and so I'm downloading the files he has listed. But, as half of the files are located in the 'Downloads' section I get to actually play the game in September. If then.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-23-14 at 09:05 AM.
Crécy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 04:59 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Myeah, I've been following these threads every once in a while as they pop up
and I think there ought to be some changes to the system.

Now, I do understand why the limit is there. But why not have few different
ranks or levels for the downloads. The longer you've been here and the more
you've posted (=contributed) the more files you can download per day?

PS. Wrong section you silly person.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 05:00 AM   #3
DelphiUniverse
中国水兵

Downloads: 125

You could bribe someone off to get another one file. You'd have two files ultimately. You can get the handbook of extortion, here it is

Old 08-10-12, 05:02 AM   #4
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
PS. Wrong section you silly person.
I was blinded by uncontrollable wrath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelphiUniverse View Post
You could bribe someone off to get another one file. You'd have two files ultimately. You can get the handbook of extortion, here it is

Have to order it from Amazon.
Old 08-10-12, 05:07 AM   #5
DelphiUniverse
中国水兵

Downloads: 125

This download limiter made me a careful downloader. I plan my downloads ahead, I have 10 per day. After a week or so downloading, I have come to a point where I am balanced, I don't have that urgent need for several files at same the time anymore, but only a few once and then. I don't suffer as much as someone who needs it all to get going with their recent installed game.

Maybe this download limit will make you a better torpedo man. You also plan ahead the torpedo, you could practice this patience here in the forums too.
Old 08-10-12, 06:08 AM   #6
icthird623
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Just Sayin

I'm pretty new here. I don't have the ability to contribute a useful mod yet. I search this site everyday for useful information and mods to make the game play better. If it was not for the people freely putting in the hard work and time on these mods and this web site, I would have stopped playing the SH sims.
It is their site, there mods, thier willingness to freely make it all available and their decision to operate the process as they see fit. Sounds good to me.
Thank you all ( and you know who you are )
Old 08-10-12, 06:19 AM   #7
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthird623 View Post
It is their site, there mods, thier willingness to freely make it all available and their decision to operate the process as they see fit. Sounds good to me.
Thank you all ( and you know who you are )
Well, I doubt the modders have any say to the download limit... And I believe that if they could decide, there would be no limit. I mean who would want to make mods freely available and then restrict the amount of how many you can download them? At least I wouldn't.
Old 08-10-12, 06:44 AM   #8
icthird623
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm just guessing but without the modders there is no website. I have to think if it were an issue for them they could get the policy changed. I am not in anyway dissing your opinion, I merely stated mine. And now I added 2 more posts and am getting closer to more downloads.
Old 08-10-12, 07:01 AM   #9
Crécy
Grey Wolf

I understand why there is download limit but I just wish that the policy would change a bit to the direction Dowly suggested. I'm just frustrated as I yesterday got an idea to install SHV again and give it another chance to win me to its side with the help of amazing mods. And then I realized that it will take like a week to download the files Sober listed because of the limit.
Old 08-10-12, 07:10 AM   #10
icthird623
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well stated and a good point
Old 08-10-12, 07:27 AM   #11
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Play vanilla. Then you'll really appreciate the mods when you get them.
Old 08-10-12, 08:59 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The problem is the amount of money it costs to maintain a website of this size. The other problem is that Subsim has more than 70,000 members, and most of them signed up just so they could download stuff. If all of them try to download 10 mods per day the download section is getting close to one million hits every day. That's not the case, but there are still a large number of people who want to download free stuff but never contribute to the site at all. The limit is an attempt to get more people to be active members, to enter into discussions and take part in the community. Another option that's been thrown out is to simply charge for downloads. That is almost certainly never going to happen, which is a good thing.

I just wish all the people who just want something for nothing would think about that. It's frustrating to see people with 10 posts and 100 downloads. Oh, and though it may sound like it, I have nothing to do with Subsim other than to be just another member.

I agree that if possible the ideal solution might be to have it be rank-based, so the higher your rank the more downloads you can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crécy View Post
Well, I doubt the modders have any say to the download limit... And I believe that if they could decide, there would be no limit. I mean who would want to make mods freely available and then restrict the amount of how many you can download them? At least I wouldn't.
You're right on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthird623 View Post
I'm just guessing but without the modders there is no website.
You would be guessing wrong. The mods are great, but the site is supported by members who contribute both money and time. It's the people who post regularly and contribute to the knowledge base and the comeraderie who make the site work. The modders who really make a difference are people like Stiebler and TheDarkWraith, who not only make great mods but spend so much time helping people understand how they work. Read any thread about the history and the real submarines, and you'll see who really keeps this site alive. The people who look up real data and post it, whether it's technical or the orders the commanders passed down, or the personal stories of real submariners. Read some of the forums outside the one game you're interested in, and see what the real contributors say and think. They are the soul of Subsim.

It's the people who give back to the community who make it work.
Old 08-10-12, 09:52 AM   #13
icthird623
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Here is my logic

Without the mods, the game is poorly done. If you have a poor game you will not have as many people interested in playing it.
Not as many playing = not as many using this web site. The tips and help on this website are invaluable and pick up where a woeful UB dropped the ball. UB should be paying for this site.
I really am done now
Old 08-10-12, 10:17 AM   #14
Thylacine
Watch

Downloads: 513

Whilst i have no personal problem with the current system (as I'm patient and a quick google finds many alternative sources for most downloads anyway) it does seem a tad unfair/ineffectual.
Limiting data quantity vs number of downloads would seem the obvious solution, making all parties happier and achieving much more in terms of minimising hosting costs than the current arrangement.

ed
Thylacine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 10:49 AM   #15
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Google, comrades.. Google is your best friend..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote