Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-19, 11:36 PM   #1
Devinous
Watch

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Plea for help with TWoS

Hey guys - been working on this for several days and followed all of the directions to the letter on installation. Game boots up and looks awesome but no matter what realism setting I use all of my torpedoes are duds. I fired every single one during the tutorial and about 80% move in circles, the other 20% either bounce off or detonate prematurely (Even with duds turned off).

Originally I had an issue where on the fourth torp on the the first boat in the tutorial the game would crash each and every time.

I would really love to get to play TWoS as the vanilla version will not do now LOL.

I am using the UPlay version with an Alienware R7 - SSD (Raid) i7-8700 (6 core), GTX 1070 8gb, 16 gigs optane with a full version of win 10 (not the original with the box) - I have both the expansion and update TWoS files installed.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would really really appreciate it! At this point I do not have much hair left to pull out
Devinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 02:02 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

It seems that you didn't activate the Generic patcher as required, step 2 of TWoS install instructions...Cheers!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 04:28 PM   #3
Devinous
Watch

Downloads: 4

This part:

Step 2:
The Generic File Patcher window will pop-up automatically after Step 1 is done*. Select
desired language and properly activate the Patcher:
· Click "File" - "Open" and start hitting "enter" key ("Yes", 40 times or so) until all 9 patches are
visible in programs window.
· Now, click "File" - "Restore snapshot" and double click TWoS 2.0_Snapshot.gps file.
· Close the Patcher.

yes I can confirm that all 9 patches are installed, and I do load the snapshot and it says it is successful. I did notice that when you open the drop downs on some of the patches there are sections that have a red circle with a minus and the Yellow triangle with an !. I right clicked and enabled all of these (one was actually torpedoes) and now it crashes as soon as I fire the torpedo. Everything installs correctly except .Net as I have a new version and directX as I have a newer version.
Devinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 07:40 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

(Also see other post).
It turned out you did the Step 1 wrong. After doing it right and finishing installation, after launching game you should read 'TWoS 2.2.12' in the main menu, else you need to run also the Update to 2.2.12.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-19, 09:29 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
(Also see other post).
It turned out you did the Step 1 wrong. After doing it right and finishing installation, after launching game you should read 'TWoS 2.2.12' in the main menu, else you need to run also the Update to 2.2.12.

XS
Even with updated install instructions ??!

Just like I told you XS, "resistance is futile" in some cases...

Last edited by vdr1981; 05-30-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-30-19, 09:49 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Even with updated install instructions ??!

Just like I told you XS, "resistance is futile" in some cases...
Yes Veko, I agree that most people should get that right, but...

Some Installation programs have the capability to look where a game (or app) is installed before performing the installation/update. It will look in the registry and/or on the drives on the computer starting the search at default locations until it finds the right location. The advantage is: the user doesn't have to enter the path or manually navigate to it (which in the Steam case is a core...), so this will avoid errors.

Try to see if your mod installer can be set to search the right install location for the user.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-30-19 at 09:58 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 10:07 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Some Installation programs have the capability to look where a game (or app) is installed before performing the installation/update.
Well, TWoS installer can't have that ability because it's just a bit more complicated Winrar self extracting archive and nothing more than that...
This shouldn't be problem at all for average PC user.
Old 05-31-19, 12:32 PM   #8
sputterfish
Watch

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Well, TWoS installer can't have that ability because it's just a bit more complicated Winrar self extracting archive and nothing more than that...
This shouldn't be problem at all for average PC user.
One of these days I'll help you make a proper installer VDR!
sputterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 12:35 PM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputterfish View Post
One of these days I'll help you make a proper installer VDR!
That would be truly great sputterfish. Your tools for Steam and config files have already been of enormous help. Welcome back!