SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-19, 11:25 AM   #1
Muppetlord
Watch

Location: I don't know but it's cold so probably north of the equator.
Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Submarine type wont change?

Alright, I swear this is the last thread I'll make for a while, I hate spamming the forums for answers, but there's no one else I can ask...

So I've been going around in my Type VIIA since the start of the campaign. I read that you get the VIIB after you've gotten a number of skill points or tonnage sunk. Well I started the Happy times and never got the offer to switch boat so I was stuck with my Type VIIA.

I just progressed to the Mare Nostrum campaign where the stock sub is supposed to be a Type VIIC but, nope, it's still my VIIA.

So something is wrong. Any way to fix this?

When are you supposed to get the offer to switch boat?
Muppetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 11:49 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

[EDIT]

Should not happen with the VIIA, because it's the default sub when you start and when you don't have the VIIB-Start mod installed. But then: I don't know exactly at which point you get your sub upgraded, other players will have to join-in here.

With the VIIB you may remain stucked with it, and it would be because of this:
In order to enable the VIIB at start, you need to load the optional mod in TWoS first. But then, before a new campaign chapter starts (or better before you enter bunker next time), you need to REMOVE this mod again, else you stay at VIIB...
That's just a theory of mine, I'm not quite sure that this will happen.

So maybe you have the VIIB mod installed and have a VIIB, not a VIIA ?
You can know for sure by going in the file 'Playersettings.cfg' in your savegame folder, or by simply launching KSD Commander.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-05-19 at 12:02 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 12:10 PM   #3
Muppetlord
Watch

I don't have the VIIB mod installed. I double checked the file. I'm currently on my way through Gibraltar. I'm hoping I'll get the offer to change once I'll get to La Spezia. I'll report back.
Old 05-05-19, 12:12 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetlord View Post
I don't have the VIIB mod installed. I double checked the file. I'm currently on my way through Gibraltar. I'm hoping I'll get the offer to change once I'll get to La Spezia. I'll report back.

Say Hello from me to any Destroyers you encounter there!
Old 05-05-19, 12:32 PM   #5
Muppetlord
Watch

So I made it through Gibraltar, I went straight to La Spezia but it won't let me end my patrol there. I got a message saying my base was moved here so I'm not sure what's going on.

Edit:

According to this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...3&postcount=64, I'm supposed to transfer from Kiel with the new boat...? There were absolutely no instructions or any word of this in the game. It just threw me out into the menu in early march 1941, and told me to pick a campaign. After that I started in Lorient. This game drives me up the walls...

Edit2: After some more testing I tried picking the other campaign at chapter 3. There I get a mission called VIIC training or something like that which tells me to go to Kiel. So I suppose that's it. However, no matter how many times i tried starting Mare Nostrum I don't get that option. Guess I'll stay in the Atlantic then.

Last edited by Muppetlord; 05-05-19 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 01:24 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Yes that chart is the right one to refer on, BUT: Your homebase is always the one marked on your NavMap, and it will update appropriately. If still you are away from the chart's date, make some high time compression and watch your NavMap if it updates your home port. It should if you are in the right time frame. Beside of that, you should be able to dock at La Spezia even if not your homebase. What's your current date in the NavMap?
Old 05-05-19, 01:54 PM   #7
Muppetlord
Watch

Sigh. So I completed the Type VIIC training drills. I got a message telling me to return and dock at Kiel.

But I can't dock at Kiel... Of course. It's always something with this game.

Last edited by Muppetlord; 05-05-19 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 03:26 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetlord View Post
Sigh. So I completed the Type VIIC training drills. I got a message telling me to return and dock at Kiel.

But I can't dock at Kiel... Of course. It's always something with this game.

But you are playing WoS, right ?? Only explanation I have for you being sent to Kiel again is: you did enter the Med Sea on your own initiative. The game will not take account of your current port unfortunately...

There is a trick to change your homeport in all possible cases (but obviously this is not part of the game). See my guide here, point 4:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...36&postcount=1
Old 05-05-19, 04:04 PM   #9
Muppetlord
Watch

Yeah I'm using WoS.

On the current save (with the Kiel problem) I've not gone to the Mediterranean. I started the "Western Approaches" campaign instead. So I started in Lorient and was offered the mission there.

Thanks for the guide btw, I'll try changing my home port to Kiel when I get home from work.
Old 05-06-19, 12:10 AM   #10
Muppetlord
Watch

I tried changing port according to your guide but I never got it to work.
When you guys get a new sub, do you get a mission like me (called Type VII Training Drills) or do you get it another way?
After I've completed the mission I get a radio message saying "Dock at Kiel and report to the KMO". Whatever that is. But like I said, I can't end my patrol there.

From what I've read it sounds like you're supposed to start the new chapter with a new sub.

Last edited by Muppetlord; 05-06-19 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 06:07 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Ml
It is a while back since I did this mission.

When you select the training drills mission you must complete the objectives before you can end the patrol.
IIRC I seem to remember seeing 2 consecutive objectives which is sinking static Polish ships.
You should see a radio message IIRC.
If this is not done correctly you will not see the Anchor icon.

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 09:58 AM   #12
Muppetlord
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Ml
It is a while back since I did this mission.

When you select the training drills mission you must complete the objectives before you can end the patrol.
IIRC I seem to remember seeing 2 consecutive objectives which is sinking static Polish ships.
You should see a radio message IIRC.
If this is not done correctly you will not see the Anchor icon.

Peter

There are basically two "mission objectives" The first one is to sink one of the static ships. After that I get a new objective to go to Kiel. After I pass that waypoint the mission itself is completed, after which I get a radio message telling me to dock and talk to the KMO.

Once I enter Kiel I get the anchor icon, I simply cannot end my patrol there.

Edit: Found something interesting. Before starting the mission it says the end date is March 21. The campaign starts March 20. Do I have to complete the mission within that time? There's no way I can get from Lorient to Kiel in a day.

Last edited by Muppetlord; 05-06-19 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 12:19 PM   #13
Muppetlord
Watch

Further trial and error. When going for the first objective "patrol the area" I had previously sunk the static ships. I tried just patrolling for a bit which gave me a radio message telling me to conduct speed, maneuverability and depth trials and finish by sinking the two hulks.
I did a few tests. Worth noting that only one big ship exist, not two as the message suggests. The mission shows that I've completed it after i sink one ship regardless.
Again, I see the anchor icon, but it wont let me enter port.

This is apparently a mission added by OHII back in 2012 and I can't help but feel it's poorly designed. Some criteria for completion would be pretty nice.

I cannot fathom how anyone has passed this mission.

Last edited by Muppetlord; 05-06-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 01:11 PM   #14
Muppetlord
Watch

New theory. Reading this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...3&postcount=64

It says
"Western Approaches 20/03/41 - 01/12/41
Flotilla 6th
Transfer from 2nd flotilla Kiel 20-03-1941 with new boat."

Am I supposed to start the campaign in Kiel? Because that would make a lot more sense. For me it simply started in my last base in Lorient though.

I'm all out of ideas on how to fix this though...

Sigh, spent the last two days just trying to solve this, would've preferred playing the game.