SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-19, 05:02 PM   #1
Daripuff
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Any mod that gives accurate deep water depths?

I know that the game touts that it has accurate depths based on sea maps, but I'm fairly certain that the abyssal plain of the Norwegian Sea or the deep areas of the South China Sea aren't a uniform 1915 feet deep.

I'd like to be able to push the Seawolf deeper, or be able to linger at 1800 feet and still have my towed array work, or maybe even use the 2000 foot test depth of the Alfa, but not have the "bottomless abyss" that the game occasionally models.

So is there a mod out there that accurately models the 2,000-10,000 foot deep areas of the Norwegian Sea or the South China Sea?

Or is it an engine limitation that it can't model an ocean floor deeper than 1915 ft?
Daripuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 08:49 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Daripuff!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 04:41 AM   #3
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

It's an engine limitation.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 04:35 PM   #4
Daripuff
Nub

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
It's an engine limitation.

Curses...
Daripuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 11:06 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

This is just a pet peeve of mine, but thanks to Tom Clancy there is a lot of confusion out there when it comes to "test depth".

Test Depth is the deepest a submarine can dive to safely. Test Depth is NOT an operational depth, at least not for any usable length of time. Test Depth is calculated by the shipyard and used to verify that all of the sea fittings and exposed seals are working properly. It is only used for new construction sea trails, post overhaul trials, and when the Dive seriously screws up.
In reality, subs spend as little time at Test Depth as they can. Mostly to insure that new systems and repairs work as advertised.

Think of it like your car: Just because the speedometer has a maximum value, are you going to drive that fast all the time?

Instead, think about your HP air reserves. HP air is like gold, you need to spend it wisely. The deeper you go, the more air you need to use to launch things.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 08:21 PM   #6
ragnar1242
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
This is just a pet peeve of mine, but thanks to Tom Clancy there is a lot of confusion out there when it comes to "test depth".

Test Depth is the deepest a submarine can dive to safely. Test Depth is NOT an operational depth, at least not for any usable length of time. Test Depth is calculated by the shipyard and used to verify that all of the sea fittings and exposed seals are working properly. It is only used for new construction sea trails, post overhaul trials, and when the Dive seriously screws up.
In reality, subs spend as little time at Test Depth as they can. Mostly to insure that new systems and repairs work as advertised.

Think of it like your car: Just because the speedometer has a maximum value, are you going to drive that fast all the time?

Instead, think about your HP air reserves. HP air is like gold, you need to spend it wisely. The deeper you go, the more air you need to use to launch things.
Test depth is just a myth
Old 03-10-19, 12:34 AM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar1242 View Post
Test depth is just a myth
But running at a flank bell at test depth is a valid tactic.

I probably should explain why this is such a pet peeve.

Let's say that back when you were very young, you were told that holding down the accelerator of a car so that the rear tires spun and left a long black stripe on the road was known as "burning a J".
You accepted this without question and it became a fact.

Years later, you go off to college and meet some new friends. They have long hair and wear bandanas around their head.
You invite them out to the parking lot to "burn a J" and they wind up disappointed..
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 12:41 AM   #8
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

During ww2 pacific sub commanders would push the "test depth" limit to escape the depth charging or for the older boats as the old S class just to get under the thermal layer.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote