SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-14, 10:41 AM   #991
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

I just tried the night fix in NYGM wolfpack mission and my lookouts could not see ships in the dark long after I saw them.

I'm going to disable this and do some testing

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 10-19-14 at 11:19 AM.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 05:23 AM   #992
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
@Makman94:

I have just checked my copy of H.sie's V16B1.7z download. Although it has the option to use the night vision fix, there do not seem to be any other files that are related to the night vision fix.

However, you posted earlier that the night vision fix requires H.sie's envsim.act file. This is not provided with the V16B1.7z download. I have a copy of H.sie's envsim.act, but I cannot remember from where I obtained it. The file is dated 18 February 2012.

My Stiebler hard-code patch overwrites SH3Sim.act, SH3Sound.act and envsim.act, all with later-dated versions. I believe that the SH3Sim.act and SH3Sound.act files were based on H.sie's last posted files, but that was more than two years ago, and I cannot recall clearly now.
The envsim.act file is definitely different, but my documentation advised users to take whichever envsim.act file they preferred.

Sorry I can't provide more help. I tested the beta version of H.sie's night-vision fix in NYGM, but I was not happy with the results. Again, I can no longer recall the reason.

-------

Stiebler.
Hello Stiebler,

the reason that you were not huppy is becuase the NightVisionFix is NOT working at NYGM's enviro no matter if you have enabled it or not. i checked the files yesterday and it is ,indead, some adjustments needed to your enviro colors in order to be able to enjoy the NightVisionFix.

The good news is that your last patch contains the NightVisionFix and we can make it work ( i checked your files called ''Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised'',these are your latest,right?).

you are wrong at saying:
Quote:
However, you posted earlier that the night vision fix requires H.sie's envsim.act file. This is not provided with the V16B1.7z download.
in H.Sie's patch (called ''V16B1-Patch-Kit'') ,in the ''Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)'', there is the envsim.act (dated at 19/2/2012).better check this file ,becuase of this one day difference, as H.Sie usually made tiny changes at the last moment before releases.

anyway , time to see how the NightVisionFix looks when it is working and time to see what it really does.
first ,download this test mission here:
http://speedy.sh/fMWqN/TestingMissio...tVisionFix.rar

at this mission ,we have the Nelson in front of us at 17km far away.

now, as NYGM currently is setted up (with the NightVisionFix disabled),run the test mission ,go to bridge and look through the bino or uzo.you will note that Nelson is slightly vissible even at 17km away ! (remember we are extremely close to fog's limits so you must look very closely for it.ingame is a little bit easier to notice it than the pic):

Now,start your engines and wait for the CREW to spot the ship. repeat the mission several times and you will see that other times the ship is spotted at ,for example , 14700m far away :

or ,other times is spotted at ,for example, 5700m away:

this is the current situation at NYGM's crew night visuals (and not only for NYGM but for all supermods and for the stock too that uses 16km enviros).

NightVisionFix is absolutely correcting all these:
1. H.Sie managed to locate the fog curtain and altered it like when the game turns to night mode,the fog curtain comes closer to user. the even more good part at this ,is the fact that H.Sie gave to users the abillity to alter themselfs how much close this fog curtain would like to come (from the ''hsie'' configuration settings file). that way ,when a ship is behind this fog curtain is absolutely invissible to user and to the crew . so its all up to you and adjustable by you,how much visuality want to have at night.
2. after this success of H.Sie ,we were able with the provided visual sensors settings to have the abillity to synchronize user visuals with the crew visuals to the level we want. (i will explain how to do it ,probably later tonight)

@Stiebler:
Later today i will prepare the edited colors for your enviro in order to make NightVisionFix working on NYGM and i will send you the necessery sensors settings for synchronizing user-crew visuals.

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 02:51 PM   #993
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Strange...
I just returned to Keil after my first patrol in a dugout canoe. I sank 3 merchants east of London and did not get credit in SH3 or SH Commander. I saw them go down and had the red "sunk" icon on my map view but no credit.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind. I added crew before my first patrol and I guess that is a no-no. Stupid stupid bugs.

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 10-21-14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 03:31 PM   #994
makman94
Hellas

Default Night Vision Fix for NYGM

hello again Stiebler and Lanzfeld,

here is the Night Vision Fix files for NYGM
-------------------------------------------

A. the adjustments at NYGM's enviro :
http://speedy.sh/JzqkS/NYGM-Enviro-A...y-makman94.rar

and
B. the adjustments at NYGM's crew visual settings :
http://speedy.sh/N9RVB/NYGM-Only-Cre...y-makman94.rar

installing the mod :
--------------------

1. firstly , enable the Night Vision Fix at the executables fixes

2. look for the configuration settings file called as ''hsie.ini'' and set there the value 0,4 . look at pic:

then enable the supplements for V16B1 & Stiebler4B_V16B1

3. enable the ''NYGM Enviro Adjustments for NightVisionFix by makman94''
4. enable the ''NYGM Only Crew Visual Sensors by makman94''

here is shown my mod list on the NYGM's setup:

testing the NightVisionFix :
----------------------------

run again the test mission i posted at my previous post and go to the bridge. Nelson is at 17000m far away but absolutely nothing is vissible anymore:

now , start your engine and wait for Nelson to start fading at horizon. this will happen at about 6600m ( i hate to revealing distances but ,in this case, is necessery. the 6600m is the result of the value 0,4 that you puted in the hsie.ini configuration settings file. the ''0,4'' gives a 60% reduction to fog's curtain. in the absolutely clear nights ,like the one in our test mission, a 60% reduction means that the fog curtain will be at about 6600m).
as you can understand , its up to you now how close you want to put the fog curtain during night. a value ,for example, like 0,2 will give you 80% reduction and so on.
here is the Nelson starts fading at about 6600m :

now , its time for the sensors to 'talk' . short after the Nelson's appearing the spot will come. its up to you how fast you want this to come.
becuase of the different monitors -enviros ,here you have to take a little time and synchronize yours and crew visuals.
if your crew is spotting the ship before you then you must raise a little bit the Visual Fog Factor that is located in sensors.cfg (steps of .01 at this sensitive factor are ok for making your experiments).
if you are spotting the ship before your crew then you must start lowering the Visual Fog Factor.
here is the spoting of Nelson a little bit later:

now, everything is in your hands to create as much darker environments as your tastes are and with the Night Vision Fix you can control the fog curtain and make your nights as more realistic as you want ,being in harmony with your environment. plus, you can have a sunchronized crew with your visuals.

Isn't this one of the most evolutionary gameplay features that hardcode fixes provided? gameplay at night is really hard now (in fact ,it is as more harder as you want it to be) .
H.Sie managed way much more things than the ones me and Rubini were aftering. we had some disagreements on what the 'realistic' default reductions would be and suddenly he come in and said : ''calm down guys, i will make it adjustable by a .ini file so everybody will be huppy !''. me and Rubini ,not even to our best dreams, ever imagined that all these will be a reality for sh3.

i hope to enjoy it you too , as much as i do

Last edited by makman94; 10-23-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 08:07 AM   #995
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

I was patrolling around east of England and I can see the graphics of a neutral ship like 20 or more km away through the mist. Is this normal?

Also, with Hitmans Optics (fixed) there is a graphics bug when looking through the attack scope on a type II when you look to the bow. It is like a ghost periscope head. I think someone brought this up before.

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 10-21-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-22-14, 06:00 AM   #996
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Makman94:

Thanks for your downloads.

I've been experimenting with two proper patrols in mid-Atlantic in 1941, using the default settings you provided.

Everything seems to work very well, in fact, and I agree that the night vision fix is now a valuable addition.
Pity I have to use H.sie's weather with it too!

In particular, you have also fixed, probably accidently, the old problem where a merchant ship on a calm sunny day (wind 0-5 m/s) could see the U-boat before the U-boat crew saw the merchant ship.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the crew has acquired more experience, that is the reason for running patrols.

At present, I can recommend this night vision fix, as Makman has supplied it (and with his recommended alteration to change hsie.ini to 0.4), to all users of NYGM.

Nice work, Makman94!

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 06:29 AM   #997
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Hmm. Thanks for pointing this up, Lanzfeld.
I'm not sure of the significance of the change now, it dates back to NYGM 3.6B, which is of the same date as my hard-code fixes, so probably related. As you say, all NYGM updates have all the changes made already.

Whatever, I have updated the Stiebler hard-code patch for this very small change on the NYGM web-site. Click on my logo below, or on this link:
http://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/Sti...6B1_Revised.7z

Equally I have updated the files for users of GWX3, struggling with the standard update. - It's all pre-patched for such users.
http://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/GWX...n_for_V16B1.7z

Stiebler.
Still not fixed.

Also, in the en_menu.txt file this line is missing.

4834=Severe damages! Return to base as directed.

These are no big deal as we can change them ourselves. I just thought you would want to know this if you want to tweak your download files to make them perfect.
Old 10-22-14, 07:59 AM   #998
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
hello again Stiebler and Lanzfeld,

here is the Night Vision Fix files for NYGM
-------------------------------------------

A. the adjustments at NYGM's enviro :
http://speedy.sh/JzqkS/NYGM-Enviro-A...y-makman94.rar

and
B. the adjustments at NYGM's crew visual settings :
http://www.speedyshare.com/N9RVB/NYG...y-makman94.rar

installing the mod :
--------------------

1. firstly , enable the Night Vision Fix at the executables fixes

2. look for the configuration settings file called as ''hsie.ini'' and set there the value 0,4 . look at pic:

then enable the supplements for V16B1 & Stiebler4B_V16B1

3. enable the ''NYGM Enviro Adjustments for NightVisionFix by makman94''
4. enable the ''NYGM Only Crew Visual Sensors by makman94''

here is shown my mod list on the NYGM's setup:

testing the NightVisionFix :
----------------------------

run again the test mission i posted at my previous post and go to the bridge. Nelson is at 17000m far away but absolutely nothing is vissible anymore:

now , start your engine and wait for Nelson to start fading at horizon. this will happen at about 6600m ( i hate to revealing distances but ,in this case, is necessery. the 6600m is the result of the value 0,4 that you puted in the hsie.ini configuration settings file. the ''0,4'' gives a 60% reduction to fog's curtain. in the absolutely clear nights ,like the one in our test mission, a 60% reduction means that the fog curtain will be at about 6600m).
as you can understand , its up to you now how close you want to put the fog curtain during night. a value ,for example, like 0,2 will give you 80% reduction and so on.
here is the Nelson starts fading at about 6600m :

now , its time for the sensors to 'talk' . short after the Nelson's appearing the spot will come. its up to you how fast you want this to come.
becuase of the different monitors -enviros ,here you have to take a little time and synchronize yours and crew visuals.
if your crew is spotting the ship before you then you must raise a little bit the Visual Fog Factor that is located in sensors.cfg (steps of .01 at this sensitive factor are ok for making your experiments).
if you are spotting the ship before your crew then you must start lowering the Visual Fog Factor.
here is the spoting of Nelson a little bit later:

now, everything is in your hands to create as much darker environments as your tastes are and with the Night Vision Fix you can control the fog curtain and make your nights as more realistic as you want ,being in harmony with your environment. plus, you can have a sunchronized crew with your visuals.

Isn't this one of the most evolutionary gameplay features that hardcode fixes provided? gameplay at night is really hard now (in fact ,it is as more harder as you want it to be) .
H.Sie managed way much more things than the ones me and Rubini were aftering. we had some disagreements on what the 'realistic' default reductions would be and suddenly he come in and said : ''calm down guys, i will make it adjustable by a .ini file so everybody will be huppy !''. me and Rubini ,not even to our best dreams, ever imagined that all these will be a reality for sh3.

i hope to enjoy it you too , as much as i do
Thanks for all the effort it took to get h.sie's Night Vision Fix to work properly.

I have a question, though. Implementing your new NYGM Enviro Adjustments for NightVisionFix by makman94 changes the environment colors from your M.E.P. 4.2 and completely replaces the Optional Flat Sun Fix. A quick check showed that important color values are different. So which should I use? Will the new NYGM Enviro Adjustments for NightVisionFix by makman94 negatively affect M.E.P 4.2 (which I really like and don't want to lose)? Are the EnvColor values in the new mod the ones you are currently using, and are they compatible with M.E.P 4.2?

Last edited by BigWalleye; 10-23-14 at 10:26 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 07:02 AM   #999
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Pity I have to use H.sie's weather with it too!
hello Stiebler,
no , actually you haven't to.if you reread my post you will see that i checked your files ( called as ''Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised'') and i saw that the Nignt Vision Fix was included. in my tests i used your envsim.act (dated 07/07/2012)

Quote:
In particular, you have also fixed, probably accidently, the old problem where a merchant ship on a calm sunny day (wind 0-5 m/s) could see the U-boat before the U-boat crew saw the merchant ship.
from the way you are describing this problem, i am thinking that the 'old problem' is not a problem at user's uboat visual sensors.
if the merchant was spotting you,at clear weather, before the u-boat there is a douzine of reasons that must be checked:
1. sensors equipment for this specific ship ,in case that ,by fault, a strong radar is assign to this ship
2. totally wrong placed visual node for this ship.
3. ship is using wrong visuals category from the AI Sensors
4. in case that all the above are correct , your AI Sensors ranges are wrong and need readjustments. i never checked your AI Sensors ranges but if ,indead, there are in there settings for the merchant ships to look at even enviro's limits , then this needs a fixing.

you ,maybe, see this 'old problem' as fixed now becuased ,at the uboat's visuals that i released,i raised your crew visuals to your enviro's limits* so ,maybe, this extra range at your crew visuals is now beyond this merchant's visuals.

*edit: i made a tiny error at the sensors settings. NYGM's enviro limits is 17000m and i had setted it ,by mistake, as 17500m at sensors's settings. i fixed this error and i updated the download link at post 1001 so download this new one.

Quote:

Nice work, Makman94!

Stiebler.
thank you Stiebler,enjoy the challenging nights !

all the best

Last edited by makman94; 10-23-14 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-23-14, 07:08 AM   #1000
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Thanks for all the effort it took to get h.sie's Night Vision Fix to work properly.

I have a question, though. Implementing your new NYGM Enviro Adjustments for NightVisionFix by makman94 changes the environment colors from your M.E.P. 4.2 and completely replaces the Optional Flat Sun Fix. A quick check showed that important color values are different. So which should I use? Will the new NYGM Enviro Adjustments for NightVisionFix by makman94 negatively affect M.E.P 4.2 (which I really like and don't want to lose)? Are the EnvColor values in the new mod the ones you are currently using, and are they compatible with M.E.P 4.2?
hello BigWalleye,

that files (both of them) are only for the NYGM settup. you can't use either of them anywhere.
MEP v4.3 (really why are still using v4.2?) is designed to work with Night Vision Fix (in fact,that was the main reason that i created the v4 of the mod) so you don't need to change anything at MEP. it is ready to use

Old 10-23-14, 07:26 AM   #1001
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
hello BigWalleye,

that files (both of them) are only for the NYGM settup. you can't use either of them anywhere.
MEP v4.3 (really why are still using v4.2?) is designed to work with Night Vision Fix (in fact,that was the main reason that i created the v4 of the mod) so you don't need to change anything at MEP. it is ready to use
Thank you for the information. Probably just missed it, but I was unaware that MEP 4 included a fix to the Night Vision Fix. That's great!

I am currently using MEP 4.3. MEP 4.3 does not change the EnvColor files. I mentioned 4.2 because the EnvColor files that were overwritten are from 4.2, rather than the 4.3 update. I was just trying to keep the details accurate.

Again, thanks for the information and thanks for all the great contributions you have made.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 08:09 AM   #1002
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Thank you for the information. Probably just missed it, but I was unaware that MEP 4 included a fix to the Night Vision Fix. That's great!

I am currently using MEP 4.3. MEP 4.3 does not change the EnvColor files. I mentioned 4.2 because the EnvColor files that were overwritten are from 4.2, rather than the 4.3 update. I was just trying to keep the details accurate.

Again, thanks for the information and thanks for all the great contributions you have made.
you are wellcome BigWalleye,
please, update the download link for the sensors at the quoted part at your post 1005

the download link for the correct sensors is:
http://speedy.sh/N9RVB/NYGM-Only-Cre...y-makman94.rar

Old 10-23-14, 09:23 AM   #1003
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Makman94:

Quote:
no , actually you haven't to.if you reread my post you will see that i checked your files ( called as ''Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised'') and i saw that the Night Vision Fix was included. in my tests i used your envsim.act (dated 07/07/2012)
In that case, I'd better run some more night-time patrols.
Thanks for the correction.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 02:07 PM   #1004
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Two quick questions for NYGM.

1. Does setting the water clarity in SH3 Commander have any effect on or in NYGM gameplay AI or is this just pure eye candy?

2. How do I add the flag recognition pullout to the map view?

thanks
Old 10-28-14, 07:36 AM   #1005
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

I read all the NYGM manuals but I couldn't find this addition.

Is Rubinis hydrophone workaround mod in NYGM?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=193199

It looks like a neat mod for our AI (only) hydrophone guys. It requires you to dive deeper to hear a greater distance.

Steibler? What do you think?

Tags
torpedos through hull