SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-15, 08:54 AM   #286
Alexsej
Sailor man

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsej View Post
Is there a targeting tutorial in english for manual targeting in LSH 2015?
Here, I translated some of the manual to english.
It is translated via Google translate so if there are some mistakes, im sorry.

here it is. Feel free to make corrections:

Torpedo shooting with the OLC GUI - Attack from the periscope view

Now it's time we go through the attack with the OLCGUI, this is no longer based on estimates or calculations or reading angle but much mehrnach time lengths and Mast height settings. Thus these are the symbols and basic functions like in Standard GUI, I will not re-explain it again every button

Remember:

The important thing is that in the disks, which can be seen below the observed at 6x zoom the Upper notch in ring A is only required while at 1.5-fold zoom for intermediate steps and the lower notch at ~ 15 required. Important d as the specified mounting height is independent of the zoom factor in
Detection book must always be doubled!

The mnemonic for setting sequence with the OLC is now IGEL:
I -Identifizieren (Identify)
G -Geschwindigkeit ermittelt (calculate speed)
E -Entfernung einstellen (distance)
L -Lagewinkel bestimmen (AOB)

Attackwith the zoomfactor of 6:

IdentifikationID)

Detection book as the standard GUI open by clicking on the book or the N button, the target Select and confirm. Will appear below the horizontal line in the periscope, the name the type of boat. Clicks Wennmandiesen again wirddie appropriate page from the recognition book
open, you should close it again.

Geschwindigkeit: (calculate speed)

Your boat should now be, or driving no faster than 2 knots, as this is the
Speed measurement greatly impaired. Optimally, it is therefore necessary to stand!
Furthermore, you now should have a 90 ° degree course to the course from the target have +/- 10 degrees. In order to measure the speed with the OLC GUI place the vertical line from the center of the periscope across the bow of the target. Once the bow touches the line click the large stopwatch right. The aim must therefore not be switched!
As long as the target moves by the line, use the time around or at a Salve
to make the torpedoes clear for action and to open the torpedo doors.

When the rear of the vessel pass the line, press stopwatch again. Click now on the round disc which is protruding under the Torpedo selection (RAOBF)

This consists of 3 slices of the interior rigidly (ring A), the average bew A ny ring (ring B) with their works and the rigid outer ring (ring C).
So we have a time 70 seconds measured. Click in ring B in the upper scale 70
and turn the Sc heibeso that 80 is the ring C to the 140th See 1). In 2) one sees a notch and on ring A, which coincides with the 3.8 vonRing B the lower scale. This value is the speed of the target.
So we press the 1) and quickly set at 3) the value of 3.8 or more simply the 4 and close with 1) again the TDC.

Remember:
The faster the input in the TDC and you as the 1) includes the more accurate the Torpedoleitlosung!

Summary of speed measurement:

• Max. 2 knots and stand ° +/- 10 ° angle in the 90 at the rate of target
• timekeeping begin as soon as the ship touches the vertical line
• Set torpedoes with the data from the identification manual (running depth of zuen, speed,
Scattering angle at a Salve)
• Stop the time measurement when the tail passes through the vertical line
• Ring pull down and bring the measured time to cover the ship's length
• Read the velocity in the upper notch and submit the TDC

Distance:

In the middle of the periscope we now have a scale on both the vertical and the horizontal line. We now need the vertical and read as soon as the horizontal line at the water line from the goal is at the highest point of the target value. In our example, this is the
Six.

We use the newly determined value as follows: From the bottom ring B
Skala pick the 6 and place it exactly opposite the 90 of ring A. See 1).
You have to always double the mast height 2) How do we know of the OLC Introduction. So we do not need the value of 23.2 but 46, 4, rounded gives the 46. We are now looking at the ring C 46 and read on ring B of the upper scale value from 18. Since we know that the distance in Hektometer specified in TDC, we therefore have a distance of 1800 meters. We open with this knowledge the TDC1) and put the 18 in 4) and connect the TDC 1) again.

Summary of the distance measurement:

• congruent with the water line from the target read the top of the goal with a horizontal line in the vertical scale
• Find this value read on Ring B lower scale and congruent with the search 90 on ring A bring twice the mast height from the detection point to ring C and there read the value in ring B of the upper scale and enter the TDC

Position angle:

The position angle now requires just the determined distance. For this we turn the 18 of ring B,
upper scale, on the ship's length of 140 meters on Ring C. See
1). Now we read on the horizontal line where the bow of the target begins, there must always be the Bug Seinan the ye oriented in scale. In our example, it is the value of 17, you seek now to ring B of the lower scale the 17 and look what experience write-Ring A is facing. In our case it is about 72, rounded to recognize on 70 (2)) and as to the horizontal line, the target moves
green to starboard, because the target is still in the 350-000 degrees range, we can make the estimated value of 70 entered directly at the TDC which we open with 1) Register 3) and confirm with the close of the TDC 1) , Is now even more of the shot angle 4) at 000, the optimum angle is reached and we will send the torpedoes on their journey.

Summary of the position angle:

• turn the determined distance ring B upper scale on the ship's length Ring C above
• reading on the horizontal scale in the periscope the value and look at ring B bottom scale where this is
• In ring A towards the value of ring B is able to read angle and oriented to the
Add coloring port (red), starboard (green) the attitude angle
• Tracking is the goal of you away and the tail you have about your 0 degrees bearing 180 ° -eures
expect determined position angle and enter this value! 180 Y = X
• at weft angle of 000 should you aim at the correct data entry exactly meet at the point where the target in the crosshairs of the periscope is when their torpedoes dispatches

Angriff mit Zoomfaktor 1.5 im Periskop:

Identificationsee6xtimes zoom!

Speed measurement:

Is the same than with 6x zoom, here again the chapter, instead the ship here in the screenshot it comes from the distance detection but continue with the steamer you can see the right in the first frame. But now going:
Your boat should now be faster than 2 knots or not go, since this greatly affects the speed measurement. So Optimal stand! Furthermore, you now should have a 90 ° degree course to the course from the target have +/- 10 degrees.
In order to measure the speed with the OLC GUI place the vertical line from the center of the periscope across the bow of the target. Once the bow touches the line click the large stopwatch right. The aim must therefore not be switched!
As long as the target moves by the line, use the time around or at a volley to make the torpedoes combat Clear and open the torpedo doors.
If the stern happened to see from the target line as in the image hats toppe timekeeping. In our example here you can see that it took 70 seconds. You click now on the round disc, which comes under the projecting Torpedo selection like on the next page to view this completely
Diese Besteht aus 3 Scheiben, der Inneren die starr ist (Ring A), dermittlere bewegliche Ring (Ring B) mit dem ihr arbeitet und der starre äußere Ring (Ring C).

So we have a time 70 seconds measured. Click in ring B in the upper scale 70
and turn the wheel so that the 80 is the ring C to the 140th See 1). In 2) one sees a notch and on ring A, which coincides with the 3.8 of ring B of the lower scale. This value is the speed of the target. So we press the 1) and quickly set at 3) the
Value 3.8 or more simply the 4 and close with 1) again the TDC.

Summary of speed measurement:

• Max. 2 knots and stand ° +/- 10 ° angle in the 90 at the rate of target
• timekeeping begin as soon as the ship touches the vertical line
• Set torpedoes with the data from the identification manual (running depth, igniters, speed,
Scattering angle at a Salve)
• Stop the time measurement when the tail passes through the vertical line
• Ring pull down and bring the measured time to cover the ship's length
• Read the velocity in the upper notch and submit the TDC

Note: to have regard to the following example, we assume a rate of 3kn determined the steamer as it accelerates it once is a torpedo in the water.

Distance:

Again, we are guided when the horizontal line to the water line from the target in coverage is on the vertical line and read the value from 3. We suchenuns on Ring B lower scale the 3 and put them on the groove of the 15 einwie in 1). We know that the doubled mast height from the steamer 44 is. So we are looking at the ring C 44 and read on ring B of the upper scale value Opposite the 44 from. 8.5 ie 850 meters (see Figure 2)). We open the TDC with the
1) and set the 8.5 at 3), before we confirm and close the TDC with 1).

Summary, the 1.5 times the distance measurement:

• waterline of the target and the horizontal Periskop line bring in cover, read the top of the target on the vertical line
• this value search Ring B, lower scale, and with the notch at 15 on ring A in coverage
bring
• Search double mast height from the target ship to ring C and read in ring B, upper scale, the value and enter in TDC

Position angle (AOB) with 1.5 times zoom:

Again we like the 6 times zoom the ship a distance to the ship's length. Say 8.5 on Ring B, upper scale, we turn to the ~ 78 of ring C (see 1)). But now we need in the 15 'notch on ring A the value (see Figure 2)) of ring B, lower scale, take and this screw on the 90 of ring A. So the 5.5 ~ Turn on the 90th

We now have so as 1) to see the 5.5 brought to the 90th In the next step we need on the horizontal line in the periscope the strokes to the bow count as 6-fold zoom. We see
the Value3 starboard. So we are looking at ring B, lower scale. 3 and read in ring A the value ~ 33 (see 2)) Rounded is 35, so we open with 1) the TDC, contribute 3) the 35 and close the TDC 1).

Summary for position angle for 1.5 Zoom:
• determined distance ring B, upper scale, screw on the ring Length C
• the value at the notch 15 A ring in ring B, lower scale, read off and him to the ring 90 A
screw
• value of the bow of the target ring B, lower scale, from the horizontal line read on ring A
• the read value of ring A typing in TDC, confirm and close TDC.

Last edited by Alexsej; 11-14-15 at 01:19 PM.
Alexsej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 01:04 PM   #287
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default Oh oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi CB
I can confirm that both the VIIA and VIIB boats are both available from the start.
When you start SH3Commander for the first time it usually shows the VIIA as the default boat.
Use the drop down tab and if the VIIB is there then it can be selected as your starting boat.
In the Office the VIIB should also be available from the upgrades tab in August 1939.

Peter

Hello again BERBSTER and thank you.

It seems I have another "mystery"...my LSH3 V15 does not work that way at all. When I start a new career from LSH3 2015 SH3 Commander and select 8/39, I have only one choice, no options..."Erprobungsstelle" and a Type VIIB (three hull numbers if I want to specify one...83, 84 or 86). When I launch the game to start that new career and go to the "office" there is no option to "buy" a Type VIIA or any other new boat. I also do not get that option when I return from my first "training" patrol and request transfer to a new Flotilla. BTW, the boat I was assigned to was U-48, not 83, 84 or 86.

But, if I start a new career in 9/39 (or 10/39 or 11/39), I am offered "Erprobungsstelle" and either a Type IIA or VIIB. I am also offered the 1st and 7th Flotillas, but if I select one of them, there are no boats offered (the box is blank). If I choose either the 1st or 7th and click the "launch" box, I get an error notice that no Flotilla or Boat has been selected (but I did select a Flotilla and can't select a boat type).

There must be something amiss...but I'm inclined to ignore it for now and go on with the career I already started; maybe I'll think about looking into fixing this problem sometime down the road.

But thanks again, nice to know an experienced user is around to help.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 03:27 PM   #288
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi CB
If we forget about SH3Commander so do not change anything in it a this point.
The default boats before the war will be VIIA and VIIB.
The Eprobungstelle flotilla we know is only ever used for testing boats.
So the process would be Stralsund August 2nd test the boat and dock.
Immediately give out medals, promtions and qualification.
Select telephone and ask to transfer to the 2nd flotilla at Wilhelmshaven.
You cannot transfer to any other flotilla at this point.
Exit the game.
Load the game (Before mission save) and you are in the office.
The filling cabinet allows you to change your crew from your renown.
From clicking on the desk on the right you should be taken to the upgrades screen.
Clicking on Uboats / All should show you if a VIIB is available.
If a VIIB is available then you would be back in Stralsund to test that boat.
Repeat the docking procedure and transfer again.

But I think there is a cheat way (although not tested) if you are still in a VIIA.
Start your patrol in Wilhelmshaven and then dock immediately.
You will notice that all your crew gain 1 promotion point, no medals, but 1 qualification.
Request a transfer to the Eprobungstelle flotilla.
Clicking on Uboats / All you should now see a VIIB.
This is based on IIRC ok.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 04:05 PM   #289
Urmel
LSH2020 Manager

Downloads: 6

Dear CaptBones, Alexsej and Thewebster

I am deeply impressed and very happy about your great support and the many great constructive ideas here!

My biggest problem is my very limited english language to adequately write / post comments here.

This is the reason why I often can not better respond. a very frustrating situation for me.

Since release Edition 2015 in spring "we" are working day by day on the first update V15 for this year.

With "we" the still active LSH3 modder team is meant; Blueduck, Eremit and myself.
(look in game > under LSH3-CREDIT > for detailed responsibly)

Blueduck is the only one who can speak English well enough to communicate german<>english on a "production level".
(Unfortunately his health allows him currently not to work more intensively for LSH3)

So what we need now is a passionate lover and expert of SH3 who is willing and able to translate English and German adequately.
(I'm pretty sure that guy called not "Mr. Google", "Mr. Leo" or "Mr. Babylon")

Is there someone who can and will take new responsibilities ?
Then please contact us by mail to support@lsh3.com

_______

CaptBones, I read your great input attentively!

After what I have understood , we can implement much into the Update V15.
However, there are some questions, we need a translator to communicate this seriously.

Alexsej; You do a great work with your translation of OLC manual targeting back to English.
Since LSH3 V4 (release March 2007, by Rowi) the "OLC GUI Schnellanleitung" (by "Skookum" and translated by "Friedl9te") as PDF exist.
The one and only "Original OLC Video tutorial" from ONELIFECRISIS himself (11/2007) download here:

DL by Maik FTP:
ftp://Maik:Woelfe@hartmuthaas.no-ip....3COMMUNITYMODS
(look under "ONELIFECRISIS" > "OLC_GUI_Video_Tutorial.rar")

DL by LSH Server:
http://www.lsh3.com/public/info/OLC_...orial_2007.zip
(The Original OLC AVI Video file need very old codecs, mabe try to start it in different players to watch it)

Alexsej; with Blueduck i will talk about soon about your translation here. If he agree we like to take your translation for future official LSH3 OLC Documents.
If you agree with that!?

Since our last SH3 poll 2009-20014 we know that more than 25% of all SH3 players worldwide use GUI Mod OLC.
Good enough for us to support and extend OLC in future.

The great SH3 Mod MaGui of "Makman94" and the today groundbreaking and first real SH3 widescreen high-resolution GUI Mod of Grandmaster "Ahnenerbe" confirm us all ...

... the successful SH3 show will be going on into 2016 and keep our SH3 game alive - against all odds.

Work load for us together!

Urmel
Urmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 04:14 PM   #290
Fishers of Men
Seaman

Downloads: 106

My starting career was a little different than I was expecting.

On test patrol on Aug. 1939, I was assigned a type II boat with no other options available. Completed my test patrol in the Baltic, returned to port, gave out awards, and made my request to transfer. The transfer was denied.

Assigned another test patrol to the same Baltic sector with type II boat. Completed that patrol and requested a transfer. This one was also denied.

Now Aug. 25th, 1939 and my next mission was to patrol sector West of Britain, keep radio silence, and wait for new orders. I am assuming war is going to be declared and I will go into action in this sector.

I really believe I need a type VII boat for an Atlantic patrol. What happened to my request for a transfer to Flotilla 7?
Old 11-13-15, 04:36 PM   #291
THEBERBSTER

Hi FoM

I think your problem is that your original test mission in the Eprobungstelle flotilla starts on the 2nd August 1939 approximately 1 month before the outbreak of war.

The 7th flotilla that you requested I think does not exist in LSH3 until later.

You need to transfer to Flotilla 2 at Wilhelmshaven where your request should be then be granted.

You will see that your transfer has now eaten up the days in August but you will still be approximately a week or more before the outbreak of war.

Your orders are possibly to make your way to Rockall Bank and await further orders.
Not a journey you want to do in a VIIA.

Peter
Old 11-13-15, 04:50 PM   #292
Fishers of Men
Seaman

Downloads: 106

Thanks for your reply, Peter. Maybe if I begin a new career, I can avoid my transfer request to the wrong flotilla. I want flotilla 2 and not 7.
Old 11-13-15, 05:41 PM   #293
CaptBones
The Old Man

Hello again Berbster;

Quote:
Hi CB
If we forget about SH3Commander so do not change anything in it a this point. - I haven't.

The default boats before the war will be VIIA and VIIB. - Doesn't happen that way in my installation, I am only offered the Type VIIB.

The Eprobungstelle flotilla we know is only ever used for testing boats.
So the process would be Stralsund August 2nd test the boat and dock.
- That's what I did; took U-48 to AO84, sank the two target ships and returned to Stralsund as ordered. Encountered a Soviet CL and DD, and the "Graf Spee" with two Type 34 DDs in the patrol area...the "Graf Spee" and DDs accompanied me halfway back to Stralsund!

Immediately give out medals, promtions and qualification.
- Did exactly that also; 1 promotion, 1 qualification, no medals (U-Boat War Badge was offered, 11 of them, but "historically" it's not authorized yet).

Select telephone and ask to transfer to the 2nd flotilla at Wilhelmshaven.
- Did that too, transfer accepted.

You cannot transfer to any other flotilla at this point.
Exit the game.
- Did that as well; late at night, tired, had "two fingers" of Glenfiddich, checked the weather forecast and off to dreamland...pick it up again in the morning.

Load the game (Before mission save) and you are in the office.
- Yes, had errands to run, came back to the game in the afternoon. Started LSH3 2015 SH3 Commander, went to the office; the date is August 9th.

The filling cabinet allows you to change your crew from your renown.
- Opened the filing cabinet, 1 promotion and 1 qualification I handed out on return to Stralsund were there; made no changes.

From clicking on the desk on the right you should be taken to the upgrades screen.
- Opened the upgrades screen.

Clicking on Uboats / All should show you if a VIIB is available.
- Yes, the VIIB is the only boat available, but I already have a VIIB (U-48) and did no other upgrades/changes. Closed the upgrade screen and started my patrol...left Kiel for AM18 (Rockall Bank).

If a VIIB is available then you would be back in Stralsund to test that boat.
Repeat the docking procedure and transfer again.

But I think there is a cheat way (although not tested) if you are still in a VIIA.
- Never did get a VIIA, started in VIIB U-48; I was hoping to start in a Type IIA.

Start your patrol in Wilhelmshaven and then dock immediately.
You will notice that all your crew gain 1 promotion point, no medals, but 1 qualification.
Request a transfer to the Eprobungstelle flotilla.
Clicking on Uboats / All you should now see a VIIB.
This is based on IIRC ok.

Peter
That's where I am at this point in the first career I started...on my way to AM18 in U-48. But, I started a second career to see if I could get a Type II to begin with. Couldn't do it in August '39, as explained in my earlier post.

By starting in September '39, I got the Type II U-21, in Stralsund on Sept. 1st, with orders to patrol AO84. Did that, found one Polish Bulk Coal Freighter and sank it; finished the 24hours in AO84 and returned to Stralsund. Handed out a promotion and a qualification and requested transfer to 1st Flotilla in Kiel. Transfer accepted and now I'm in Kiel on 9 September with orders to patrol AN36 (the Skagerrak); I think I might try to change the patrol area before I set out. Otherwise, for now I'm just going to move ahead with both of these careers to see how things progress.

Cheers...CaptBones.
Old 11-13-15, 06:00 PM   #294
CaptBones
The Old Man

Icon14

Hello Urmel;

Thank you for the "thank you". I'm completely sympathetic and empathetic to your plight with respect to language differences. But, I can assure you your English is much better than my German. Please don't feel any pressure and resultant frustration on my account, I can work with and enjoy what I've got and wait for future improvements and upgrades as they happen. I wish I could help with the translation...but I'd be worse at it than even "Mr. Google"! So, anyway, thanks again for the great work you all have done and if I have any more suggestions I'll continue to send them to you. BTW...could you answer one quick question? Is the "TIME" shown at the bottom of the GUI GMT (Z) or "Lokale Zeit"?

Thanks again.
Old 11-13-15, 06:34 PM   #295
THEBERBSTER

Hi CB

Your reply to my post is interesting.
If you have noticed that you have what others want but cannot get.

Its also interesting that the first time that you enter SH3Commander before you select your career that it should show the VIIA as the default boat.

So in theory your SH3 tutorial that you need to do before starting your LSH3 career should be in a VIIA.
When you exit the game having done the tutorial to the desktop when you load SH3Commander again it should still be showing a VIIA.

When the game loads the first time it is advised that you do not make any changes in the office but get straight on and start the Eprobugstelle test mission.
It is after you dock and transfer that you create the next automatic save (Before mission)
And as I said it is this save that should give the gamer the choice of staying with the VIIA or upgrading to the VIIB.
The upgrade should always be taken because the VIIA is not ocean going.
The 20mm pop gun is not going to be much use when you have used your meager stock of torpedoes.

Peter
Old 11-13-15, 06:55 PM   #296
jimmyjam25
Soundman

Downloads: 39
Default Problem installing lsh

When I try to install an error message comes up and says 'non 7z archive'. What am I doing wrong?
jimmyjam25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 09:53 PM   #297
jimmyjam25
Soundman

Downloads: 39
Default Thank you

Forget my last post. Solved problem and install went well! Now all I can say is wow! Thank you for all the hard work. This mod is brilliant. All the attention to detail is incredible. Well worth the wait.
jimmyjam25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-15, 01:26 PM   #298
Alexsej
Sailor man

Downloads: 125

Dear Urmel,

Sure you can use my translation. I'm happy to help.
Alexsej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-15, 04:06 PM   #299
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm still working on the Academy tutorials, but I have a couple of first observations.

1. It's very nice having the full Type VII interior, and the e-machine/aft torpedo room looks great. That said, it seems awfully empty with no crew at all. While FlakMonkey's original has "cardboard cutout" crew, who don't do anything, I still think it looks better than just empty rooms.

2. There is an awful lot of fog in the interior. You can't even see from one compartment to the next. I used to know how to get rid of it, but I've long since forgotten and can't seem to find it now. Any suggestions?

3. I'm very happy that all the animated flags, RDF loop and crew on deck are part of the mod, so I don't have to worry about adding them in.
Old 11-14-15, 05:36 PM   #300
CaptBones
The Old Man

Quote:
Hi CB

Your reply to my post is interesting.
If you have noticed that you have what others want but cannot get.

Its also interesting that the first time that you enter SH3Commander before you select your career that it should show the VIIA as the default boat.

So in theory your SH3 tutorial that you need to do before starting your LSH3 career should be in a VIIA.
When you exit the game having done the tutorial to the desktop when you load SH3Commander again it should still be showing a VIIA.

When the game loads the first time it is advised that you do not make any changes in the office but get straight on and start the Eprobugstelle test mission.
It is after you dock and transfer that you create the next automatic save (Before mission)
And as I said it is this save that should give the gamer the choice of staying with the VIIA or upgrading to the VIIB.
The upgrade should always be taken because the VIIA is not ocean going.
The 20mm pop gun is not going to be much use when you have used your meager stock of torpedoes.

Peter
Peter,

I quite agree that I'm getting something to start a career with, that other "Kaleuns" want (the Type VIIB) but apparently aren't getting. I've followed the instructions for starting a new career to the letter and can assure you that I always start my August 1939 "Erprobungsstelle" mission in a Type VIIB and there are no other type boats offered for "upgrade" after completing my training mission and transferring to Wilhelmshaven (I do exit the game and restart with the "Before Mission" save). I am never offered a Type VIIA and the only time I can start with a Type IIA is by starting a career in Sep/Oct 1939.

BTW...are you perhaps mistaking the designation "Type VIIA" (that's 7A...seven-A) for "Type IIA" (that's 2A...two-A); those pesky Roman Numerals you know?

The Type VIIA most certainly was an "Atlantic" (ocean going) U-boat; it has the 8.8cm deck gun forward and a 2.0cm flak gun on the main deck aft of the conning tower and had five torpedo tubes, four forward and an external stern torpedo tube. However, some experts also contend that there never was a Type VIIA, they claim the Kriegsmarine designated those boats (U-27 through U-36) as Type VII and the first variant on that basic design was the Type VIIB. Maybe they were redesignated VIIA after the design was revised for the VIIB...I suppose it doesn't really matter, as far as that goes.

The Type II "Coastal" boats (known as "Canoes" or "Dugouts") were intended for service in the North Sea and the Baltic. They had three torpedo tubes forward, no stern tube, and carried only a 2.0cm flak gun on deck forward of the conning tower.

Cheers

...and hello Sailor Steve...I agree completely with your observations and comments. If you happen to get into a Type II in LSH 2015, you'll find the forward compartment modeled, with crewmen sitting in their bunks and a helmsman added to the control room (not sure why the aft compartments aren't there...I thought FM had completed those too). But, they are the "cardboard cutout" types and I'm ambivalent about having them at all, especially when you see one sitting right next to their 3D animated "shipmates". I have been wondering why the 3D animated characters that inhabit the control room and conning tower (as well as the deck gun and flak gun) can't be modified to add some "life" to the rest of the boat. If I had any skill at all with software I'd take up the cause of trying to put some more of those characters into the empty compartments. But then...didn't the latest version of FM's interior have crewmen added? Maybe it would not be such a difficult task to bring that forward to a future upgrade to LSH3 2015.

Also, I have not seen any real excess of "fog" in the new interiors. I can stand (well, position the free camera anyway) at the entrance to any of the new compartments and see clearly all the way through and up to the exit into the next compartment, in those cases where there is another one to go into. IIRC there were comments regarding that problem, for those that had it, in the thread started by FlakMonkey when he introduced his new interior modeling project. I don't remember if the solution was for revising the MOD or for adjusting graphics card settings, but there were answers in there somewhere.

Good luck and good hunting!