SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-10, 10:25 PM   #1
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1
Default Battleship Texas Dry Berth Contract Signed

AUSTIN – In a major step toward long-term preservation of the Battleship Texas, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has signed a contract with AECOM USA Group, Inc. – a globally recognized architectural and engineering firm – to design a permanent dry berth for the historic vessel before time and the elements scuttle the ship.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 11:22 AM   #2
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Great find Mookie I'm afraid to ask what those kind of repairs would cost? Our last major work on the pt boat involves a dry dock, and that ain't cheap. and a battleship > pt boat. Once they get it fixed, maybe they should get it out of the water, or put it in fresh water.
Old 07-29-11, 02:43 PM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Glad they notices a time honored ship is in need of assistance and is doing something about it.
Old 07-29-11, 02:57 PM   #4
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If I was pushing one-hundred I would probably be leaking and inclined to settle where I sat as well.

Excellent MM; well done to Texas and thanks for sharing this.
Old 05-18-12, 10:12 PM   #5
Carthaginian
Loader

Downloads: 19
Default Another Southern Belle in need of help...

When they get done with the Texas, tell 'em to drag their gear over the other side of the Bay. Lucky A draws 36 feet of water... and sits in about 4 feet on a good day. That leaves quite a bit rusting away unpainted in the mud.

If the morons on Goat Hill let her rust to pieces, the veterans of Alabama might ensure , so it would be a wise move for them to emulate Texas.
Carthaginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 01:52 PM   #6
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

They need to get her out of that brakish (sp) water.
Old 06-28-12, 07:06 AM   #7
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Something needs to happen soon. Based on these pictures, it looks like the Texas took a torpedo in the stern recently.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7116858&type=1

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 01:19 PM   #8
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
Something needs to happen soon. Based on these pictures, it looks like the Texas took a torpedo in the stern recently.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7116858&type=1
Good find subnuts.
I need to print a letter from the HNSA regarding the status of the ship.
Old 06-29-12, 01:19 PM   #9
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I SWEAR it was fine when I left it Easter Sunday!!

Although there was that one hatch open that we went down that was so dark you couldn't see a thing.
I remember Joe saying he got his trouser caught on something and pulled it loose.
You don't thing he opened a flood valve do you?
Old 06-29-12, 02:54 PM   #10
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Looks like they're righting her again...

Last edited by Subnuts; 06-29-12 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Picture too big.
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 02:56 PM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Pump the bilge! The Torsk will list after a while. She has a few holes the size of quarters in the saddle tank. Fill it with air pressure and she sits right for awhile. But yeah, the old girl needs some assistance.
Old 07-01-12, 09:47 AM   #12
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

From an e-mail I recieved:
Quote:

Historic Naval Ships Association

Post Office Box 401

Smithfield, Virginia 232431-0401

(757) 356-9422 FAX (757) 356-9433

hnsa01@aol.com

22 June 2012

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR MEMORANDUM 16-12

USS Texas Current Status: As of 22 June 2012
·Assessment and dewatering of other flooded tanks is complete and a few other minor leaks were found and patched
·Oil cleanup operations continues throughout the day.
·Salvage and dive team has completed their emergency repairs and are packing up equipment.
Next Steps:
·Ship will be monitored around the clock until Sunday evening.
·Clean up of oil will continue on a Monday –Friday basis.
·Salvage and dive team will provide final reports of work completed and a “Salvage Plan” focusing on any further actions we should take.
·Ship will be closed the remainder of Friday Jun 22nd but we plan on opening back up on Saturday- access below 3rd deck will be restricted until oil clean-up is complete.

I have had a few more questions and thought the below might be useful to all:

What’s the status this morning? I’m gathering the C-94F patch is for the 2-inch hole you mentioned. What are the leaks in the blister tanks and the aft trim tanks? How serious are they? Will they require patches? We have had minor leaks (less than 10 gpm) in many blister tanks around the ship (blister are the most outboard tanks that were added to the ship in 1925-27 and do not “communicate” by design with the inboard tanks/rest of the ship). Also, our Aft trim tank has had a leak we did a temporary patch on about 4 years ago that seeps a very manageable flow of water into the ship. Long term these need to be addressed but are not immediate needs or part of this emergency situation- they are exacerbated by and exacerbated the situation, but they kind of thing we deal with on a regular basis
Are you planning to put a more robust patch on the main leak?That should be determine as part of the Salvage Plan- our emergency is controlled, now we have time to evaluate and develop an intermediate plan that could include that.
When do you think the ship will reopen to visitorsWe will reopen on Saturday, but with have 3rd deck and below closed until we are finished with all the oil clean-up
Will the oil cleanup be finished today? You had indicated you’re now degreasing and power washing….is that in fact your status?We are not sure when it will be complete- they will be cleaning into next week at a minimum
When your divers were searching for leaks, did they note the general condition of the ship’s bottom? If so,what is the condition?General condition is very corroded and lots of marine growth- bottom line, this type of leak could occur again, in another spot, at any time.
Thanks!
Andy

News Release
Media Contact: Mike Cox, 512-389-8046, mike.cox@tpwd.state.tx.us

June 22, 2012
Battleship Texas reopening after repairs

HOUSTON — The Battleship Texas, closed for a week to allow a salvage company time to repair a leak that the historic vessel developed June 9, will be open to the public again starting Saturday.
“We closed the ship last week so that divers could locate and repair the leak,” said Andy Smith, Battleship Texas State Historical Site superintendent. “That has been done and we plan on reopening the Texas in time for weekend visitors to enjoy exploring this century-old vessel.”
Smith said pumping of water from the ship has been completed and that it has not taken on any new water in more than 48 hours.
While the leak has been patched, efforts are ongoing to clean the remaining oil disturbed by the flooding -therefore all areas below the Second Deck will be closed to facilitate this until further notice.
TPWD has been working for some time toward the permanent dry-berthing of the ship, with details of that available at www.dryberthTEXAS.com
If a dry-berth solution that the department can afford cannot be found, Smith said TPWD will shift its efforts to repairing the ship in place.
2012-06-22
Old 07-16-12, 03:28 PM   #13
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Update:
Quote:
5. Current Status of USS Texas as of July 12, 2012. The text below has been provided by Andy Smith, Manager of the USS Texas.
·Pumping is ongoing from Aft blisters (both Port and Starboard), D-97, and D-12
·Oil clean up operations are ongoing.
·Salvage and dive team has systematically investigated Port blisters from Aft to Midship and have been unable to find leak/s.
·Ship remains open to public.
Next Steps:
·Ship staff will continue to monitor pumps for the next 24 hours minimally to ensure water inflow has ceased or is controllable and limited to blisters.
·Oil cleanup onboard will continue Monday-Friday.
·Salvage and dive team will continue work on monopiles and search for source of water inflow into Aft Port tanks weather permitting.
Jeffrey S. Nilsson
Executive Director
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 04:49 AM   #14
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I am happy to see that there is work going on to continue preserving the Texas. I hope the Clamagore will find itself a benefactor before it has the fate the Texas is currently avoiding.

EDIT: I just read an article stating that the comittee only has enough cash for a patch job. It isbetter than nothing, but I feel it is only staving off the inevitable unless investors who care about historical preservation show up...and I do not see that happening.

Last edited by Hinrich Schwab; 07-19-12 at 09:26 PM.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote