SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-12, 03:22 PM   #1
peebee
Seaman

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default Old save games from Steam version of SH5

Hi, I have recently changed from the Steam version of SH5 as I have got more involved in modding to the DVD version and it is patched to 1.2. I thought I had cleared all the old steam version files and saves from my system, but when I ran up the DVD version I found my saves were still there. Including the completed 1st campaign which means I dont have to do it again to start modding???
My question is will they interfere with my new installation? if so what is the method to remove them??

Thanks peebee
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 06:30 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

open your documents folder and delete the sh5 folder there, that will get rid of the saves, when you restart the game it will recreate the files it needs

and yes you dont want to use them and especially dont want to be modding with them to avoid issues even though it would probably not matter but why take chances.
Old 02-23-12, 02:28 AM   #3
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78

You have save games synching enabled in the UPlay Launcher. You can either disable that (but that won't get rid of your old savegames, you'll still have to delete them from within the Load menu) or you can delete them from there and they'll be gone whether you have synching on or off.

Having "synch" on basically works the same as your iPod.
Old 02-23-12, 05:53 AM   #4
peebee
Seaman

Yes it does sync with the server before the main screen comes on. What is the advantage or disadvantage of this?
Old 02-23-12, 04:22 PM   #5
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78

The advantage is (and I should mention that even if you switch synching off in the UPlay Launcher it still gives you the "please wait while synchronizing..." song and dance when you start the game for reasons unknown to man ) that synching automagically "resurrects" your save games if, for some reason, you've managed to murder or mess up the save directory on your hard drive. The "disadvantage" is that, in order to get old save games to stay gone if you have to, say, reinstall, is to delete them from the save/load menu in the game and then let the game sync when you start it up the next time.

As the "disadvantage" of keeping the sync on isn't all that much of one, you might as well keep it on.
Old 02-23-12, 05:34 PM   #6
peebee
Seaman

Thankyou for your advice you have made it very clear to me there is no big disadvantage so leave well alone

Regards. Peebee