SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-02-16, 01:43 PM   #1051
AtomicBetty
Swabbie

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Not sure if my game is bugged out or what. I've had the exact same weather conditions for over 2 weeks of game time, though according to the watch crew its not raining. I would post a screencap but I cant seem to be able to get it under the file size limit
AtomicBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 07:14 PM   #1052
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBetty View Post
Not sure if my game is bugged out or what. I've had the exact same weather conditions for over 2 weeks of game time, though according to the watch crew its not raining. I would post a screencap but I cant seem to be able to get it under the file size limit
The weather lasting for long periods of time is a known bug from the stock game. It's been addressed in some of the other supermods, specifically TMO. Try using the keyboard commands Ctrl+N and see if that doesn't help with your weather problem.

As for your screenshots when you take them they are in a bmp file format which has a very large imprint. Try converting the BMP to a jpg file format. That should cut down on the size of the file.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-16, 02:06 PM   #1053
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 185

Can you write what should be the order of installing below files ? When I start a game a get messages that many failes are missing... Thanks

FOTRS V2.0
FOTRS_Real_Periscop
FOTRS16zu9Format
Real Environment FOTRS V2.0_byKriller
whiskey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-16, 06:23 PM   #1054
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

First off, with FotRS v2, have you got v1.4 of Silent Hunter? No Uboats. If you've got v1.5, use FotRS v1.3 instead. Also, read the ReadMe in FotRS, because if I'm not mistaken, Real Environment for FOTRS_byKriller is already in there. Also, the other two mods, be sure to have their folder structure under your MODS folder correct.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-16, 12:54 AM   #1055
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Thank you for yopur answer. I have U-boat version of game so the mod version could be a problem.

Thanks
Old 10-19-16, 01:01 PM   #1056
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

I would like to ask you for three another things:
1. does this mod affects immersion/physics of the ships ?
2. can you recommend a mod for manual targeting which works fine with Fall of the Rising Sun mod ?
3. Is there a kind of Real Navigation mod for SH4 ? I searched all the mods in Download section but I haven't find anything like that or I am missing it.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-16, 02:15 PM   #1057
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

No there is nothing like real navigation for SH4. There really is no way to make it work as the Silent Hunter 3, 4 and 5 worlds are a projection on a cylinder. I know there are systems for SH5 but basically they are a dog chasing its own tail. You have to break the game so nothing else works right to get "real navigation." These are games. Any realism in them is little more than coincidence.

FOTRS 2 is home to the infamous "Rockin Ashashios" which float so high in the water that they unstably rock back and forth. They are beastly hard to hit with torpedoes. Other than that FOTRS 2 is just a breathtaking game graphics-wise. The game looks magnificent at the expense of some gameplay issues.

Manual targeting works exactly the same for FOTRS as it does for any mod configuration. I don't know what kind of mod would be required.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 07:28 AM   #1058
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

I am looking for something to manual AOB and Speed calculation. For example in SH5 there is a "ring" in periscope which comes with addons like Wolves of Steel provides.

Is there something similar for SH4 ?
Old 10-20-16, 08:18 AM   #1059
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Yes! Radar. Works much better than rings in periscope reticles.

These SH3 mods are also full of fictitious stuff like determining target speed by measuring the time it takes the length of the target to pass by the crosshair. This works great in the game where you know the precise length of every ship on the ocean but is unworkable in the real world where you don't know the length of many of them and can't identify them properly anyway. Real subs never used the length by the wire method and real sub commanders would laugh at us for doing something so stupid.

We also have mods that use heights of other things than masthead height, like cabin tops and flight decks on aircraft carriers. But again, the real sub captains would laugh. Many Japanese ships had altered cabin profiles and masthead heights to foil submarines. And you always want to pick the tallest available feature on a target. Your accuracy, assuming that you really know the height is directly proportional to the height of the feature you measure. That means that a masthead height range measurement can be twice as accurate as a flight deck measurement. Stadimeters are lousy to begin with. Using the tallest point on the target helps a lot.

So most of the doo-dads added to Silent Hunter games have been by people who didn't understand the targeting process and why the real subs did it the way they did. The real sub jockeys weren't stupid. They were just as smart and just as ingeneous as the slickest game modder. And they were playing for keeps. Believe me, they were more highly motivated to find techniques to work than we will ever be. Their lives depended on it.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-20-16 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 03:39 PM   #1060
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
They were just as smart and just as ingeneous as the slickest game modder. And they were playing for keeps. Believe me, they were more highly motivated to find techniques to work than we will ever be. Their lives depended on it.

"necessity is the mother of invention"...

or something like that.
Something I was told many years ago...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 04:14 AM   #1061
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

I have not heard about changing mast height of any warships and bigger transport ships, at least on Atlantic theater. I also know some books written by polish submariner commanders who used stadimeter to estimate range to Italian or German ships on Mediterranean sea.
However, I must admit, I do not know Pacific Theater so well. Information written by you is new to me.

I have read a book by Tameichi Hara "Japanese Destroyer Captain" and I think he did not describe anything like altering ships profile and masts height.

So... to be a true and real captain should I use plotting only ? If yes, can you advice which mods are dedicated for such procedures ?

Thanks
W
Old 10-21-16, 07:45 AM   #1062
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey111 View Post

I have read a book by Tameichi Hara "Japanese Destroyer Captain" and I think he did not describe anything like altering ships profile and masts height.

So... to be a true and real captain should I use plotting only ? If yes, can you advice which mods are dedicated for such procedures ?

Thanks
W
Yes, I have that book also. It's a great read. But I wouldn't expect to read anything about altering merchant ships in that book. I still highly recommend the book as a way to get inside the Japanese mindset as to defending against submarines. The short version is that the Allies thought that defense was offense and to be pursued just as urgently. The Japanese saw offense as honorable and defense as a much lower status activity. Hara saw defense as a positive attack on enemy submarines. He was definitely in the minority.

But yes, American boats (and German boats too) used plotting as their method of enemy course and AoB determination. Especially in an American boat with radar, no method can come within a tenth of the accuracy. Would you rather fix the position of a target to within 15 yards or within 150 yards? Would you rather have target speed within a couple percent or 40%? That's the choice. Radar was the final piece in the puzzle of making a diesel electric submarine a valid and effective weapon of war. The Germans never solved the problem and never had a chance in the Battle of the Atlantic due to multiple mistakes in submarine design.

When Dick O'Kane's radar broke down he sent Pearl a sarcastic message along the lines of "well, there goes half my torpedoes, wasted." He was being optimistic.

I recommend Trigger Maru Overhauled for learning to plot correctly. It has eliminated the text that identifies the target, heading and speed. It replaces the ship silhouettes with position points and there is no velocity vector on the nav map. Since the radar screens can't be read to the +-15 yard accuracy of the real boats' radar, plotting radar points on the nav map is the most realistic way to obtain the same quality information that the real subs had. And that's what TMO does.

Our new mod, Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition, will also plot in that way by default, but you will be able to choose your plotting scheme to fit your taste.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-21-16 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 09:48 AM   #1063
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Nothing more to do than waiting for Ultimate ;-)
Old 01-17-17, 05:43 AM   #1064
leonardus
Nub

Downloads: 64
Default FOTRS 2.0 english

So, is there any news about the english version of FOTRS 2.0 ? And what 4 GB patch is here mentioned ?
leonardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 07:03 AM   #1065
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There won't be an English version of FOTRS v2.0, unless AOTD_MadMax wants to try to drive himself crazier than he already is... - but we're still working on Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, using Max's FotRS v2 and v1.3 combined, and it will be in English. Public Beta is available now, with the next version coming shortly.

The "4gig patch" is referring to a "memory manager" or "enabler", that allows older 32-bit apps, if they're written to the spec, to access more than 2 gig of ram. Large Address Aware is one, and NTCore has 4GB Patch, both of which work, but both are still dependent upon the way the executable file is compiled, as to whether it "works" or not. SH4 is one app that usually works with this set. The technique can be used on a 32-bit OS with 4 gig of ram, but the OS Bootloader must be tweaked also. It works best and is easiest to use on a 64-bit OS. Read up on both of those pages...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote