SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-18, 02:54 AM   #1
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default Inaccurate weather and/or weather report bug

I am using a heavily modded GWX install. The issue is, when I ask my Watch Officer for a weather report, very often his report does not match the weather I can see when I am stood on the deck. It varies each time. On one occasion it may be that the report says "no rain" when it is clearly raining; on another occasion it may be that the report says "heavy clouds" when the game is visibly showing a "partially cloudy" state, ie. I can see fluffy white clouds below a blue sky, instead of a grey, overcast sky.
Like I said, it is a heavily modded install. But I've been playing SH3 for many years now, on and off, and I don't remember experiencing this issue before. Major changes with my current setup, compared to my previous setup, are:-

- in the past, I used the OLC Ubermod for the GUI and environment, compared to MaGui F for the UI and MEPv5/MEPv6/SH5 Water for the environment (I haven't decided which environment to settle on yet, I want to try them all)

- both h.sie's and Stiebler's hardcode fixes (including the improved weather fix)

- Just Follow Orders!

Minus a few minor tweaks here and there, the above 3 changes are the big ones. But it doesn't seem to be the environment causing the problem, because my issue has happened on all 3 of the ones listed above. I thought it could be the sensors sub-mod of MEPv5/v6 causing the issue, but, as I've just said, it happens on SH5 Water - which doesn't include such files - too. So maybe it could be MaGui F incorrectly reporting the actual weather state.
Or it could be h.sie's weather fix, or Stiebler's variant of it, or Stiebler's standalone implementation (EnvSim.act). Or maybe it could be that in installing JFO I've borked my GUI somehow.
I've yet to finalise a procedure for reliably reproducing the issue, and I have the "add one mod at a time" steps to take. I'm just hoping that this is an issue for which someone will have a known fix, which will save me time.
I've tried Google etc but I couldn't turn anything up. Hopefully one or more of you Subsim vets will have seen this issue before and will know a solution.

TIA
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 04:34 AM   #2
Scoobared
Nub

Downloads: 48

Does the weather eventually transition to what they have reported? I have noticed myself that sometimes the reports precede any visual changes by quite a few minutes. I believe there is supposed to be a certain amount of gradual transition time so the visuals don't just "pop" from one weather state to the next. When it happened to me I went into time compression as a test and the appearance of the weather did "catch up" to match the report, ti just took a little while.
Scoobared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 06:53 PM   #3
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobared View Post
Does the weather eventually transition to what they have reported? I have noticed myself that sometimes the reports precede any visual changes by quite a few minutes. I believe there is supposed to be a certain amount of gradual transition time so the visuals don't just "pop" from one weather state to the next. When it happened to me I went into time compression as a test and the appearance of the weather did "catch up" to match the report, ti just took a little while.
The event you describe is one I've never noticed before, but it sounds like it could well be the case. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm gonna fire up the game and check it out. If it's simply a case of entering TC until the "catch up" occurs, then that would be good. That said, again, I don't remember ever encountering this event before, so if anyone has anything to add, that would be great
Old 03-06-18, 12:28 AM   #4
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobared View Post
Confirming that Scoobared's observations are accurate, a quick burst of TC prompts the "catch up". Thanks for your help