SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-08, 03:10 PM   #91
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

I adapted both dials.csv as well as voice_commands.csv to get everything the way I wanted it and I must say this is a great mod. There was some trouble with the speed in knots that didnot work properly but that is under control now. Also you sometime need to adjust some commands as they sound like another one which will create error. I'm now that far that I started a compaign and have enough confidence in my speeching ability!
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 04:33 PM   #92
frenema
Torpedoman

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcattwo
frenema said:
Quote:
Hi again, did I miss something on the manual or is there no option to open multiple tubes for salvo shots?
From the SH3Speech FAQ Version 1.01:

Quote:

Sometimes I order my tube doors to open and then when I pick another tube, the first tube door shuts! Why is that? Can I get all of my tube doors open at one time?

This is a behavior that is hard coded into SH3 – if you use keypresses for tube selection commands or are in any screen other than the TDC screen, and you cycle or select another tube and the tube door you are currently on is open, SH3 will SHUT the open tube door for the tube you are leaving. I dunno why it does this, but it does.

There are a couple of workarounds so that you can get all your tube doors open at once: Go to the TDC (Attack Map) screen and give your tube orders from there using your mouse or using SH3Speech (using SH3Speech, you’d say,
“TDC Open Tube 1, TDC Open Tube 2, TDC Open Tube 3…etc). Your tube doors will stay open as long as you don’t select another tube from your periscope or UZO screen. Remember when in the TDC screen to say “TDC” as a precursor to any order given here.

Another workaround is to select the first tube you want to shoot, and just before shooting, go to the Conning Tower scope (Turm Sehrohr). Look down and you’ll see some toggle switches. These are for your tube doors. Flip them down to open the tube doors, then go back to periscope or UZO and start shooting. After the first shot, you’ll select or order another tube and the just-shot tube door will be closed for you. Keep shooting till you’re all done. You can ensure the doors are all shut when you make your getaway by ordering “Close all tubes”
R/
TC2

Hey Tomcattwo, I found something you might be interested in. When I'm in attack periscope view and salvo fire is selected, the "TDC open tube 1" command actually opens the selected salvo tubes. It also does the same thing when I'm in TDC view and command "Open tube 1". Somehow it opens multiple tubes at once using this method. Maybe you can investigate and find a way to work it correctly. BTW, I'm playing with GWX and OLC GUI.
frenema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 01:25 PM   #93
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26
Default SH3Speech commands in Word format

I have uploaded to Filefront many of SH3Speech voice commands in a Word format. Users may edit the Word document, add or delete commands they frequently use, print it out for reference rather, etc, easier than the large Excel file. See Filefront: SH3_voice_commands.doc uploaded by Archive11.

To my German speaking friends, cut me some slack...it's been almost 50 years since I used my feeble German in die Eifel at Spangdahlem flugplatz.

Reminder: I did not create this fine speech program. I only put together the Word document.
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 01:32 PM   #94
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive1
I have uploaded to Filefront many of SH3Speech voice commands in a Word format. Users may edit the Word document, add or delete commands they frequently use, print it out for reference rather, etc, easier than the large Excel file. See Filefront: SH3_voice_commands.doc uploaded by Archive11.

To my German speaking friends, cut me some slack...it's been almost 50 years since I used my feeble German in die Eifel at Spangdahlem flugplatz.

Reminder: I did not create this fine speech program. I only put together the Word document.
My latest German was two weeks ago when I visited both U-2540 (Type XXI) and U-995 (Type VII C/41) as well as the Panzer museum in Munster but I still needs some practising!
Old 04-18-08, 12:39 AM   #95
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Just a quick note on the "INVALID DATA" output in the shSpeech screen - as Tomcat says this is in fact nothing to worry about. For some reason, the shSpeech app gets an extra "blank" command that it cannot act on and is just reporting this. It should have no effect. Happy sailing!
Old 04-18-08, 06:34 PM   #96
Archive1
Commander

Default Sticky?

Tomcattwo and mnisc_tpd: I think this mod should be set up as a sticky. As it drifts down the list I'm afraid many potential users will miss it. Maybe you have more support demands than you want as it is, but it is so excellent I'd like to see more exposure.

BTW - I've always wanted a similar mod to use for Combat Flight Simulator. Is a version already out there using your mod for the appropriate keyboard commands? Or should I sit down, learn to put in my own commands and be content with that?
Old 04-18-08, 10:23 PM   #97
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Default Replies

Archive1 said:
Quote:
Tomcattwo and mnisc_tpd: I think this mod should be set up as a sticky. As it drifts down the list I'm afraid many potential users will miss it. Maybe you have more support demands than you want as it is, but it is so excellent I'd like to see more exposure.
Thanks and glad you like it.

Quote:
BTW - I've always wanted a similar mod to use for Combat Flight Simulator. Is a version already out there using your mod for the appropriate keyboard commands? Or should I sit down, learn to put in my own commands and be content with that?
Minsc wrote the code so that it is very open architecture and scalable. There's no reason it couldn't be adapted to CFS3 or any other game you have. For your favorite games, take a look at the stuff in the SH3Speech\Docs folder and you'll see it's not all that hard to adapt SHSpeech to whatever game you want. If you're nice to minsc, he might even write a more "generic" version of the speech code which removes ALL internal commands associated with SH3 or SH4. Even if he doesn't it isn't hard to simply bypass those parts of the code yourself (by not referring to them commands that would cause them to activate in the first place).
R/
TC2
Old 04-19-08, 04:40 PM   #98
Tomcattwo
Loader

Default Works Fine With GWX 2.1

In case any of you were wondering, SH3Speech works just fine with GWX 2.1 and also with OLC's GWX 2.1 version 1.1 "Ubermod". I have the OLC Ubermod up and running just fine with SH3Speech under GWX2.1. SH3Speech works fine with no changes required at this point.

I have also tested SH3Speech with GWX 2.1 without OLC GUI and it also works just fine with no changes required to SH3Speech.

As always, after you do your GWX 2.1 installation, if you are using OLC Ubermod with the OLC GUI, install SH3Speech_OLC via JSGME AFTER you have installed OLC GUI.

After you have installed GWX 2.1, if you are NOT using OLC GUI, remember to install SH3Speech_GWX using JSGME.

No changes are required at this point to SH3Speech as a result of either GWX 2.1 or OLC Ubermod ver 1.1 releases.

Happy hunting!
R/
TC2
Old 04-20-08, 10:55 PM   #99
Archive1
Commander

Tomcattwo: Thanks. Have installed GWX v 2.1 without any problem and was wondering about SH3Speech compatibility. Will install via JSGME and go forth to multiply...virtual destruction.
Have not yet had a chance to investigate regarding use in Combat Flight Sim 2 (CFS3 was a dog, BTW) but will do so.
Old 05-14-08, 01:03 PM   #100
Aqualung
Watch

Downloads: 20

Hi

First off thanks for excellent program - exactly what is needed to add to immersion!

My problem is, have installed it ok but whenever I try to use it, it seems to hear my command but ignores it as it insists the push to talk button isn't pressed (it is). The keyboard is fine and the ` key (as you can see) is functioning ok (my first thought was it might not be - hey, got to check the simple answers first )

Any idea what might be going on there?
Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 04:00 PM   #101
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77

Hey, thats cool, i tried your Mod for SH4 and it was cool.
Now you have a Version for SH3 and also German Commands, Respect.
Because your not a native German speaker i want to ask somebody here
how is a also a native German speaker if that Commands in German really
works. The spelling in the Handbook sometimes confusing me

z.B. "Nockel gelassen" <- was ist denn das?
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:12 AM   #102
Friedl9te
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

Grundsätzlich eine geniale Sache.

Aber es ist etwas problematisch, mit den deutschen Kommandos.
Die Spracherkennung kann kein Deutsch darum muss man irgendeinen phontisch passenden Kauderwelsch verwenden.

Ahngrifsroar z.B.

Angeblich soll es von M$ eine deutsche Erweiterung einmal geben. Aber ich glaube nicht dass die für XP noch kommt.

War zuerst ganz enthusiastisch habe es aber dann wieder aufgegeben. Ist eine Heidenarbeit weil man mit der SRE für jeden Befehl die phonetisch passendste Variante raustesten muss.

Friedl9te
Friedl9te SilentHunter III Help Thread (Sorry in German)
Friedl9te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 09:17 AM   #103
Tomcattwo
Loader

Default Replies

Aqualung said:
Quote:
My problem is, have installed it ok but whenever I try to use it, it seems to hear my command but ignores it as it insists the push to talk button isn't pressed (it is). The keyboard is fine and the ` key (as you can see) is functioning ok (my first thought was it might not be - hey, got to check the simple answers first )

Any idea what might be going on there?
First thing I would recommend you try: Hold down the ` key (the press-to-talk button) for just a leeeetle bit longer and I think you find that your commands will be recognized. The program does take a finite amount of time to recognize what you are saying, particularly if there is a phrase you are using that may have additional command words at the end of it - the program must pause long enough in its interpretation to see if you are going to say anythig else or if it should act on what it heard to that point.

The additional time required to hold down the ptt key isn't all that long - on the order of a half a second or so. Try this and I think you'll find your problem solved. You'll rapidly get used to how long to hold down the button.

If that doesn't fix it or you find it too annoying to hold the PTT key down longer, then try switching from PTT mode to open mike mode (instructions on how to go to Open Mike mode are in the readme and the FAQ included with your download).

The question you asked is also addressed in the FAQ on page 3:

Quote:

Why isn’t SH3Speech obeying my orders??!

If you are using press-to-talk, make sure you are holding the press to talk key down long enough for the program to figure out what it is you are trying to tell it. Some commands, for instance, have other very similar commands with extra words tacked on. The speech engine must have enough time to understand that you meant “Starboard forty” and not “Starboard forty five”, for example. With a little practice, you’ll soon know about how long to hold the press-to-talk key. If it really bugs you, switch to “open mike” mode (see above).
Another reason this could happen is if you are using OLC GUI and don’t have the dials showing and you give a command requiring one of the dials to be manipulated by the mouse. Always call up the dials by ordering “Dials” or "Helm” or “Helmsman” before giving an order requiring mouse movement on the dials. This is not a problem if you are using GWX or stock SH3.
Another reason is that you may have the wrong resolution set in your SH3Speech .bat file. See below for correcting this problem.
Be very careful with your pronunciation. The speech engine is very good at recognizing things, but it’s still a robotic computer, and sometimes it misinterprets your commands. Speak distinctly.

Let me know via this thread if that does or doesn't fix your problem. Sink 'em all

@Friedl9te: Thank you for providing a very good explanation in your native language to Delareon! Well said!

@Delareon: What Friedl9te said: plus - please also forgive me for some of the "non-standard" German phraseology (you can blame Babelfish for "Nockel gelassen"). I am not a natural German speaker and I'm sure some of the commands look a bit strange to you. There are instructions in the readme on how to custom tailor your voice_commands.csv file to suit the way you speak, but as Friedl9te told you, you have to put in the commands phonetically for the (English speaking) speech interpretation engine from M$ to understand what you are saying in German. Keep trying

For all: V1.01 IS fully compatible as is with GWX 2.1, and also with OLC GUI Special (use the same SH3Speech_OLC files and setup as you did for OLC GUI 1.2.3). The same installation guidelines still apply (i.e. use JSGME to install SH3Speech_OLC mod AFTER installing OLC Ubermod/ OLC GUI Special).

R/
TC2
Old 05-15-08, 01:34 PM   #104
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Tomcattwo,

I still enjoy your mod very much. I can advice everybody to split german commands from the English by creating two voice_command files. I only use German so there is no confusion for ShSpeech with English commands and triggering the wrong command like launch a fish etc.

Rik

Old 05-15-08, 04:00 PM   #105
Aqualung
Watch

Downloads: 20

Quote:
First thing I would recommend you try: Hold down the ` key (the press-to-talk button) for just a leeeetle bit longer and I think you find that your commands will be recognized. The program does take a finite amount of time to recognize what you are saying, particularly if there is a phrase you are using that may have additional command words at the end of it - the program must pause long enough in its interpretation to see if you are going to say anythig else or if it should act on what it heard to that point.

The additional time required to hold down the ptt key isn't all that long - on the order of a half a second or so. Try this and I think you'll find your problem solved. You'll rapidly get used to how long to hold down the button.

If that doesn't fix it or you find it too annoying to hold the PTT key down longer, then try switching from PTT mode to open mike mode (instructions on how to go to Open Mike mode are in the readme and the FAQ included with your download).

The question you asked is also addressed in the FAQ on page 3:

Thanks for the advice I was unable to get the push to talk key to register no matter how long I held it pressed down, but have managed to get it to work by using open mike mode! Very immersive, being able to just give my commands to the crew, so thanks again for excellent download and advice
Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote