Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 12-07-12, 01:32 PM   #16
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

I downloaded the game two weeks ago. It was less than enjoyable. I do not play it.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 07:55 PM   #17
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Just popping in on my way to sleep. Wow this topic grew! Ok because I'm dead tired right now I'll just reply in a bit of a random order.

I am aware of the map and the orders there but my grief and headache was that the units didn't seem to care a lot about orders. Just one example about defense or stop: I ordered to take up defensive positions. The infantry went in the trenches and the 2 other tanks started a loony race to see who was the most unruly (I take it the scenario designer didn't include any hull down positions). So I had the infantry in the trenches up on the hill and the tank comrades scattered around. Ordered Do As I Do and the infantry started marching back to where they started as the tanks came up to join formation. Ended up telling everyone to Stop. A lunatic asylum... Everyone turned to face where I suspected the Germans to come from and waited for the counter attack.

Now the Germans came and as soon as they were spotted, my 2 other tanks raced off to greet them Does the word Stop mean something different entirely in the Red Army? 2 runaway tanks against 3 StuG's and 3 Pz III... Then my infantry figured hell why not join in so they too ran in to mingle...

No new types of units can fix this in my eyes. As far as I'm concerned: Unless this was fixed and fixed good, I'll say this game is a dodo. Dead and gone from my HDD and collection.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 09:25 PM   #18
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default SF rant

You obviously played a vanilla( stock) mission which are not well made nor scripted. There are over 150 user_made missions most very well made and while at times the AI behaviour is irrational it's usually good. What I do is suse the Mission Editor to make my own stuff and whithin it there are scripts assigned to command the AI to adopt defensive or ambush positions and they stick to them and ddon't rush wildly into enemy fire.

I have to agree with you that Graviteam should have implemented some kind of control on the AI's movements and tactics which they did in their Steel Armour Blaze of War( a hybrid rts/sim with modern tanks) but SF was done on a string budget and probably more an experiment and not enough time and resources to polish some aspects of the game.

Too bad your experience was negative but it's a big world out there and plenty of other games to satisfy your craving for good AI..
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 09:30 PM   #19
Kyth
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0
2nd opinion

Quote:
Just one example about defense or stop: I ordered to take up defensive positions. The infantry went in the trenches and the 2 other tanks started a loony race to see who was the most unruly (I take it the scenario designer didn't include any hull down positions). So I had the infantry in the trenches up on the hill and the tank comrades scattered around. Ordered Do As I Do and the infantry started marching back to where they started as the tanks came up to join formation. Ended up telling everyone to Stop. A lunatic asylum... Everyone turned to face where I suspected the Germans to come from and waited for the counter attack.

Now the Germans came and as soon as they were spotted, my 2 other tanks raced off to greet them Does the word Stop mean something different entirely in the Red Army? 2 runaway tanks against 3 StuG's and 3 Pz III... Then my infantry figured hell why not join in so they too ran in to mingle...

It sounds like you're still experimenting with the game commands. For this mission, I'd suggest nothing fancy, just stick with basic Soviet WW2-era tactics - move them all to the objective, eliminate the enemy, then defend. Don't expect too much from your platoon. Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, I found this mission a breeze.

Now, I'd be the first to say that the AI isn't all it should be! But a lot of folks find enough in the game to like and stick with it, despite all the perceived shortcomings (and there are quite a few). So don't give up!
Kyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 06:06 PM   #20
woofiedog
Engineer

Downloads: 9

You should really checkout these sites for some SF info and give the game a second look over.

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php

http://tanksim.org.ru/modules/wfdown...wcat.php?cid=5

http://panzersim.forumotion.com/f24-graviteam

What you would need are these mods for your setup.

1. Unofficial patch_SF_v0.1_(ENG)
2. SPM 1.5 beta
3. SPM1.5 UU
4. Upd_Nov_2012(NTA]
fix_05

Also checkout the season/weather mods & sound mods.

Good Luck