SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-18, 05:51 AM   #31
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

It would appear that May and Macron are falling into line behind Trump but I'm not sure the British population are so eager. I can't speak for the peolple of France of course and Germany has already stated she will not be a part of any military response.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 08:23 AM   #32
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I still wonder.. if it is so obvious that one man like Assad is responsible for violating international law and using 'forbidden' weapons, why kill his people and ruin the country and infrastructure for decades to come, instead of him? If those weapons and spooks are that smart...
first, you are assuming a man like Assad is easy to find. If he was, he would have been assassinated a long time ago. No doubt he is constantly on the move, SOP for dictators.

second, removing Assad will not necessarily solve the issue. The Assads are an extended clan, brothers, cousins and other relatives control the government. Remove one and another one will take over, who may be worse...

third, the Assads are part of the Alawite clans, around 2,000,000 strong, which have key position and know that if the Assads fall from power, all 2,000,000 men, women and children will most likely be killed and/or stripped of all their assets and/or tossed out as refugees, so even if Assad is killed, they will support his replacement since the alternative is unthinkable.

this is a very complex situation. Western politicians are always looking for the quick fix or the popular slogan, but there is no easy answer.
Old 04-13-18, 08:29 AM   #33
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
this is a very complex situation. Western politicians are always looking for the quick fix or the popular slogan, but there is no easy answer.
The easy fix is for western countries to not get involved in these internal conflicts.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 08:55 AM   #34
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
The easy fix is for western countries to not get involved in these internal conflicts.
agreed, for once, you actually make sense...
Old 04-13-18, 09:00 AM   #35
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Like a broken clock, I too have my moments.
Old 04-13-18, 09:58 AM   #36
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Like a broken clock, I too have my moments.
Dowly proves shorter answers are better, but still I miss vienna's long rhetoric's I hope he's not sick

Now that there is a pause in the response to the chemical warfare used on innocent people in Syria (blink)
I hope it wasn't from the threat of Russian doubling down on the promise to punish anyone that strikes back at Syria.

This could set a red line in other do not touch or we will touch back in future conflicts of this nature.

One more note has Syria been involved in any cyber warfare in the past?
If so could they, with the help of the more intelligent Russian allies, strike back with cyber warfare?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 10:03 AM   #37
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
It would appear that May and Macron are falling into line behind Trump but I'm not sure the British population are so eager. I can't speak for the peolple of France of course and Germany has already stated she will not be a part of any military response.
Interesting article in the press this morning as to how Gazprom the Russian energy company uses its pricing model as an coercive economic weapon. Cheapest prices go to Germany, most expensive to its former eastern bloc partners..........................
Question, after the opposition in Syria is finally crushed and Assad is the unopposed President of the world's largest rubble heap who pays for the rebuilding?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 10:16 AM   #38
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Dowly proves shorter answers are better, but still I miss vienna's long rhetoric's I hope he's not sick
I do miss Vienna's posts, well sourced and comprehensive.

As for my posts, well, I only go the extra mile if I know it might make a difference. Myself and others have been saying for years that supporting the so-called terrorists rebels is not a good idea.
Old 04-13-18, 12:31 PM   #39
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I think we all remember Obama drawing his red line.

And nothing happened after Assad had used chemical weapons or was accused of have used chemical weapons.

I thought

WHAT what about this red line Assad has crossed it and Obama does nothing-Guess it was someone called a salut speech(skål tale in Danish)

Some days ago I came to the conclusion why he didn't act as he had said he would.

He have been told by his security-ting-people

In the war against ISIS it would not be so good to weaken the Syrian army now that ISIS is strong.
(of course I could be totally wrong)

Today ISIS is almost gone.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 02:26 PM   #40
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I got a laugh from a Armchair General who rang in on this subject on the radio. He said the West can clean shop and wipe Syria and Russia off the map, his comment on Russian technology was it was at best 25 years out of date and rusting.

Well on that note all I can say good job people like that have no power to start military action.

Trump and Putin should meet and work things out face to face.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 02:58 PM   #41
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
You did not include students, lesbians, or hippies so we must assume that you feel comfortable with the ones you left off
That's correct, those groups don't bother me. Now vegans on the other hand, they're annoying.
Old 04-13-18, 04:43 PM   #42
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Meine Rede!
Old 04-13-18, 04:47 PM   #43
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
That's correct, those groups don't bother me. Now vegans on the other hand, they're annoying.
Dont worry, over 40% of vegans were repeatedly found in medical studies over the past years to be ill from nutrition deficits, and practice food habits that even may damage their genes if practiced too long. With some luck your annoyance extincts itself. See them in holy cow's heaven.
Old 04-13-18, 04:50 PM   #44
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
See them in holy cow's heaven.
Breaking news! Sky believes in heaven
or achievement

Old 04-13-18, 05:07 PM   #45
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Despot Bashar al-Assad and his British-born wife, dubbed “the First Lady of Hell,” enjoy a lavish lifestyle while children are gassed to death on the streets of Syria.

They don't even live in their palace due to the war nearby (only ten (10) miles from the chemical war going on in their country)

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04...n-tatters.html

Quote:
The Syrian tyrant and his spouse Asma al-Assad own an opulent palace estimated to be worth $1 billion in Damascus — less than 10 miles from Eastern Ghouta where innocent people are being massacred by pro-government forces.

The murderous pair’s ultra-modern presidential mansion — commissioned in 1979 and designed by Japanese architect Kenzo Tange — is thought to have cost up to $1 billion.

A report in 1989 claims one single room was fitted with 125,000 marble tiles costing a total of $10.6 million.

Yet despite its extraordinary cost, the 340,000-square-foot home has barely been used since the start of the civil war as its location on top of a hill to the west of Damascus makes it is an easy target for missiles.
or achievement