Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-08-09, 06:45 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default BOB II: WoV

First memories of a complete newby

My 2nd hand copy of BOBII has arrived very early this morning, and first test flights have been conducted.

I need to crochet a scarf for Dowly's precious neck, for it seems I very much like what I have seen so far.

I had printed the manual (450 pages) some days ago, and already sudied most of what it said about setting up the sim, and plane flying, the campain chapters I just started to read into.

Obviously this sim needs a lot of trial and error and experimentation before it runs the way you want it to on your system. Some of the recommend settings simply did not work for me as described, and I had to use settings that were not recommended, ingame resolution, for example: it took me a while before I managed to increase the ingame-resolution from 640x480 to 1680x1050 - but then it was a real beauty to watch.

The flight model feels every good, and much more complex than the toy-FM in IL2, it also is more complex and features details that I look for in vein both in IL2 and even the Spirtfire by RealAir for FS9. The stiffening controls at higher speeds is such a detail. the plane's manouverability gives a very solid, realistic feel, too, much more belieavble than the often over-sensitive planes in other flightsims. All in all, flying these prop babes is a totally different thing than in European Air War, IL2 or FS. It all feels way much more realistic and close to how it really was, than IL2. I also like the somewhat pale colour palette, reminds me of SBP .

Well, there is a lot of other stuff to be discovered, and many details in the config to be fixed, changed and tried out. Also, so far I am happy that my old system runs the thing smoothly, but I still need to find out what it will be like when I run into my first bigger formation. I will forget about IL2 from today on, and never look back, and there is also no need anymore to cry for EAW.

Thanks for pointing my at this gem, Dowly - I owe you one!
Old 10-08-09, 09:59 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Glad you like it.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 03:55 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Okay, really big air battles with maximum numbers of planes and bombers I cannot run without reducing all and everything to minimum, or I get stuttered to death. However, this old system probably has already seen the better part of it'S service time , so in the future... Until then, I beef up options, even clouds, to max, and enjoy plenty of fighter action on the squdron level - and here I can run it happily, and with everything maxed out it really is a complete new ballgame to dogfight in these tremendous, really giant walls of clouds...

Very good stuff. Now fionetuning HOTAS and TrackIR as well as deciding what commands to put on what button of the controllers. I am an ergonomics freak, when it comes to this part of business. Someone should hire me and pay me a fee.
Old 10-15-09, 02:07 PM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

How about some screenshots?

Is this the sequel to IL-2 from IC Maddox?

Edit: After a little research it's not Oleg's sequel to IL-2. Found a site that list the game for release in Nov 2009
Old 10-15-09, 02:22 PM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
How about some screenshots?

Is this the sequel to IL-2 from IC Maddox?

Edit: After a little research it's not Oleg's sequel to IL-2. Found a site that list the game for release in Nov 2009
You can find screenshots and everything related to BoB II from here:
http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/...19ed8faccccef3

As for BoB:SoW, I woudnt trust any of the release dates you see all over the internet, there's no official word on it. It's all speculation and rumors.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 04:23 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

AI is way better in BOBII than in IL2, also, the flight models feels much more believable. And finally, if your rig can handle it, you get real big air battles, and by that I mean HUNDREDS of planes. IL2 always feels like a game. This simulation feels like playing some old video footage of real WWII dogfights. That makes it the dogfight simulation of choice.

IMO it shoots IL2 right out of the sky. Also, version 2.10 is very highly editable in variables affecting many of the FM's aspects.

It is the only sim/game I know that escaped German censorship on Nazi symbols. The swastikas are fully visible on German planes. Usually, the copies reaching the German market get edited accordingly not to display them.

Me, I am done with IL2, forever.
Old 10-16-09, 11:25 PM   #7
Richard G
Mate

Downloads: 14

Try this for richer color pallete. Open nvidia control panel if you have it, and bump up digital vibrance a few notches. Default is 50, I set mine at 55.
Old 10-17-09, 05:57 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Why should I? I like the pale colours of BOBII very much, it is more realistic imo, and it reminds of old films. And me it reminds of my beloved SBP as a bonus.
Old 10-20-09, 09:01 PM   #9
Tim D
Mate

Downloads: 12

I just bought this two weeks ago and spent the weekend getting everything set up and mapping my X45 stick. This sim rocks, I remember playing EAW and the first BoB. The ground additions with the shops, cattle, ect. are awesome when you are buzzing around @ low level. It runs great on my gateway 7805u laptop