SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-15, 07:48 PM   #1
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Default Manos Optics for Karamazovnew's UI

Manos Optics for Karamazovnew's UI
==================================

(Only for 1680x1050 resolution)

this is a full rework on all optic's devices (Attack and Obs Scopes, Binoculars, UZO,bridge view,AA guns views and deck gun view) for Karamazovnew's UI.

This mod needs the following mods to be installed first:
OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

The mod can be found at my mediafire page

what this mod do on Karamazovnew's UI:
--------------------------------------

First, it gives to all optic's devices their historical data (fov and magnifications) and their historical reticles (based on Hitman's research).

Second, it keeps all proportions to all optic's devices (this means that an object observed through the bridge will look x7,1 bigger through bino's or uzo's views and x5 bigger through deck gun's view. Through Attack and Obs scopes's views ,it looks the same size at low power (x1,5 magnification) as these are the info that are provided to me through Hitman's research on the theme.According to Hitman's foundings , the german scopes were made that way so ,at x1,5 magnification, objects looked the same size as through bridge view. ( still is a mystery for me the 'why' they did it that way. i mean what would be the problem if the object looked x1,5 bigger at low power of scope ? )

Third, it is correcting critical errors to the dials.cfg and ,also, it is rewritting from scratch the obs and uzo pages.Binoculars and deck gun pages are ,also , edited.

Fourth, it adds to Watch Officer the ability to give range estimations.

note 1:
-------

the reticles at Obs Scope is not highlighted during night. there is a bug in sh4 for this and i can't solve it.

note 2:
-------

the mod is for use exclusively at 1680x1050 resolution. Don't use it elsewhere

Note 3 (credits):
-----------------

Lurker, for his great OM and OMEGU
Karamazovnew, for his amazing UI
SteelVikings, i reworked his images for the obsscope's
and alternative AP's backgrounds
Hitman, for his research on German Optics

the German Optics of the mod:
=============================

Attack and Obs Scopes:
----------------------
FOV = 40°
Magnifications = x1,5 / x6

Binoculars and UZO:
-------------------
FOV = 7° 25'
Magnification = x7,1

Deck gun:
---------
FOV = 14°
Magnification = x5

Enjoy,
21/August/2015
Makman94

at the following pics ,the ship is ''sitting'' at an angle of 4°.

Brigde view:

Attack scope view:

Binoculars view:

Deck gun view:

More images of the mod:
Obs scope view:

UZO view:

Alternative Background for Attack Scope view:

the amazing RAOBF tool:

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 08-23-15 at 06:28 AM.
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-15, 07:56 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

This is great!

Just to back up what Hitman said, both British and American reports on the captured U-570 show that 1.5x and 6x are the correct magnifications for both periscopes.
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570.htm

American periscopes were also set up the same way.
http://www.maritime.org/doc/fleetsub/pscope/index.htm

I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Old 08-20-15, 08:44 PM   #3
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
This is great!

Just to back up what Hitman said, both British and American reports on the captured U-570 show that 1.5x and 6x are the correct magnifications for both periscopes.
hi there SS,
you don't understand ,
there is no doubt about the magnifications.
someone would expect that an object should look x1,5 bigger at an x1,5 magnification....
...but german's scopes were made that way so ,at x1,5 magnification, the object had its actual size ( i am suspecting that ,maybe,they wanted that way to enlarge even more the fov of scope, but... i haven't found any clue for this 'why' searching the net)

Last edited by makman94; 08-20-15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 12:52 AM   #4
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413
Uploads: 0

Superb work Makman
Is it possible to enable it during patrol or better return to port?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-15, 01:25 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default they 'raved' about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
This is great!

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570.htm

American periscopes were also set up the same way.
http://www.maritime.org/doc/fleetsub/pscope/index.htm

I'm looking forward to trying this out.
INDEED! The critical page from the American Assessment:
"The periscope was operated by the observers. It operated smoothly and noiselessly by hydraulic power and manual control. Fine control of training speed is possible under both power or manual operation. The following other features are incorporated in the instrument:
(1) Two powers 1.5 and 6.0 Corresponding fields are 380 and 90.
(2) Prism tilting between angles of minus 15 to plus 20 degrees.
(3) Direct reading range scale.
(4) Ray filters.
(5) A well illuminated azimuth of large diameter (approximately the diameter of the rotating housing) with vernier and bearing marker.
(6) Means for electrically transmitting periscope bearing to the torpedo data computer.
Periscope drying connections show in Photograph No. 7 labeled"Saugen".
The outboard support for the periscope tube is shown in Photograph No. 7.
There was no evidence of hull stuffing box leakage at either of the periscopes.
All officers with whom this periscope were discussed agreed that it is the best built and most satisfactory periscope from a military point of view that they had ever seen, and they considered that the concessions in space and weight to accommodate it were fully justified. It is recommended that full constructional details of this instrument be obtained from the Admiralty, and that the manufacture of a U.S. prototype to this design be put in hand at the earliest possible date." The "attack" periscope was definitely the most impressive installation in the ship. It has elicited the greatest admiration from both British submarine officers and the observers. It is described by experienced submarine commanders as "the answer to an attack officer's prayer". This "fixed-height-of-eye" periscope is beautifully engineered. "The "attack" periscope was definitely the most impressive installation in the ship. It has elicited the greatest admiration from both British submarine officers and the observers. It is described by experienced submarine commanders as "the answer to an attack officer's prayer". This "fixed-height-of-eye" periscope is beautifully engineered...." The captain's seat, foot controls with height-of-eye ergonomics really knocked 'em dead!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-15, 05:51 PM   #6
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 206

wolf_howl15 Fantastic!!!

Makman...you have scored a winning goal with this MOD; thank you, thank you and thank you again! This fixes so many little annoying issues that I can't begin to thank you enough.

Not only does it do exactly what you said it does, but it also makes the images in the binoculars and UZO look like real-world images (anyone who has ever used 'em knows you have to adjust the interpupillary eyepiece distance correctly to get a single "round" viewing image).

AND...you've managed to correct my biggest gripe about the UZO and observation scope...the WO can do his job now and open the recognition book to the correct page so I don't have to spend precious minutes thumbing through the darn thing to find the information I need to make an attack. Now...if I can just "dissect" the MOD files enough to find out how you made that work, I'll fix that same problem in my USN Pacific Campaign (TMO/RSRD) installation.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-15, 06:35 PM   #7
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Excellent

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-15, 06:06 AM   #8
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
Superb work Makman
Is it possible to enable it during patrol or better return to port?
hi Jaxa,
yes, you can enable it during patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
Makman...you have scored a winning goal with this MOD; thank you, thank you and thank you again! This fixes so many little annoying issues that I can't begin to thank you enough.

Not only does it do exactly what you said it does, but it also makes the images in the binoculars and UZO look like real-world images (anyone who has ever used 'em knows you have to adjust the interpupillary eyepiece distance correctly to get a single "round" viewing image).

AND...you've managed to correct my biggest gripe about the UZO and observation scope...the WO can do his job now and open the recognition book to the correct page so I don't have to spend precious minutes thumbing through the darn thing to find the information I need to make an attack. Now...if I can just "dissect" the MOD files enough to find out how you made that work, I'll fix that same problem in my USN Pacific Campaign (TMO/RSRD) installation.
thank you too CaptBones ,

i definately agree with you on the binocular's view. everybody who has binoculars can see this

as for the Rec book going to correct page , that was a feature allready there.
(tip:the 'responsible' entries for this are the [G26 I235] and [G26 I236] for the attack scope,the [G2B I235] and [G2B I236] for the Obs scope and the [G28 I235] and [G28 I236] for the Uzo)

something else that i added to the WO abillities (and forgot to mention) is that the WO is giving you now range estimations. for some reason this abillity was discarded.
(tip:for those who don't want their WO to give range estimations, just delete the menu text file --located in data/menu/ folder -- and then enable the mod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Excellent
thank you RDP ,
enjoy

Old 08-23-15, 11:42 AM   #9
CaptBones
The Old Man

Default Thank you again...

Quote: as for the Rec book going to correct page , that was a feature allready there. (tip:the 'responsible' entries for this are the [G26 I235] and [G26 I236] for the attack scope,the [G2B I235] and [G2B I236] for the Obs scope and the [G28 I235] and [G28 I236] for the Uzo)

That is a great help. The G28 and G2B entries do not exist in my OM 720/OMEGU 300 data\Menu\menu_1024_768.ini file. I'm satisfied that your optics MOD fixes it, but I'm going to try to use this info to also fix my SH4/TMO installation.

The only entries like those, that exist in my SH4/TMO menu_1024_768.ini, are the G26 entries. None of those four G28 and G2B items exist; the last entries for those two pages are G28 I136 and G2B I149. I'm going to uninstall all of the MODs in that installation and see if they are in the "stock" data\Menu folder. But, whether they are or not, I might try to copy those items from your MOD into the TMO data\Menu folder (renumbered to fit in the existing sequence) and see if that works.

Thanks again...
Old 08-24-15, 08:33 PM   #10
makman94
Hellas

Quote:

That is a great help. The G28 and G2B entries do not exist in my OM 720/OMEGU 300 data\Menu\menu_1024_768.ini file. I'm satisfied that your optics MOD fixes it, but I'm going to try to use this info to also fix my SH4/TMO installation.

The only entries like those, that exist in my SH4/TMO menu_1024_768.ini, are the G26 entries. None of those four G28 and G2B items exist; the last entries for those two pages are G28 I136 and G2B I149. I'm going to uninstall all of the MODs in that installation and see if they are in the "stock" data\Menu folder. But, whether they are or not, I might try to copy those items from your MOD into the TMO data\Menu folder (renumbered to fit in the existing sequence) and see if that works.

Thanks again...
hello CaptBones,

of course these entries doesn't exist at any other setup.
the uzo and obs page are completely rewritten at this mod thats why you have now the ''going to correct page'' at uzo and obs scope too.

i told you what entries are ''responsible'' for the ''going to correct page'' at this mod.
if you want to find out the ''responsible'' entries to other setups ,you have to search for the corresponding entries (there will be in there with different numbers. for example in omegu v300 files , the corresponding entries are the [G2B I117] and [G2B I118] for obs and the [G28 I102] and [G28 I103] for uzo)

all you have to do is to find the corresponding entries in your TMO setup and match them (match their pos and zone lines). no renumbering is needed.

good luck

Old 08-24-15, 09:18 PM   #11
CaptBones
The Old Man

Default Got it...thanks again and again.

Suspicions confirmed...I did start to look for differently numbered items that had the same or similar "title" lines (ship button and ship val together). But, I put it off for a day and here you are riding to the rescue again. This also saves me the trouble of trying to sort out just which lines to change (I figured the "pos" would need to be changed but would have stumbled around in the dark for awhile longer trying to figure out the "zone".

Thank you...would you mind if I put this information, relevant to WOP/TMO, out in a post on the SH4 WOP forum (after I'm sure it will work of course)? Several months ago I griped about the problem here and on that forum and never got a response or any suggestions on how to fix it...probably because nobody knew or had the time to try to figure it out.
Old 08-25-15, 12:40 PM   #12
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Suspicions confirmed...I did start to look for differently numbered items that had the same or similar "title" lines (ship button and ship val together). But, I put it off for a day and here you are riding to the rescue again. This also saves me the trouble of trying to sort out just which lines to change (I figured the "pos" would need to be changed but would have stumbled around in the dark for awhile longer trying to figure out the "zone".

Thank you...would you mind if I put this information, relevant to WOP/TMO, out in a post on the SH4 WOP forum (after I'm sure it will work of course)? Several months ago I griped about the problem here and on that forum and never got a response or any suggestions on how to fix it...probably because nobody knew or had the time to try to figure it out.
of course you can share the information,that is the spirit of our community

btw, you remind me a tv show where the presenter of it was very 'tough' and 'spicy' with his guests. he always started the show with the phrase ''lets talk just the two of us'' ! (<---in greeks,it is an expression meaning that whatever will be told must stay between the two of us)

Old 08-25-15, 03:19 PM   #13
CaptBones
The Old Man

Thanks makman...if/when I get it working with TMO and post the solution on the SH4 WOP forum, I will give you all the credit for doing the real work...I'm just going to experiment with what you've provided me here.

My family, employees, co-workers and the people who served with me in the Navy all said I was the definition of "curmudgeon" and it didn't matter whether I was "old" or not! I would have worn a nametag like that as a badge of honor...