SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-19, 06:24 PM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Somewhere Between Arcade and Total Realism

Actually, closer to Arcade than Realism. Here's the deal. I keep getting my tail kicked in combat. I'm not really that much into combat, but I thought I could simulate attacks. There is nothing wrong with any of the sims. The problem is me, rather my gimpy noodle. I just can't keep all the necessary details in my mind. It always ends up in a jumbled up mess between my ears and I'm on the way to Davy Jones Locker. HELP!! I am actually beginning to wonder if I belong among all you submariners? FWIW - I have been incredibly impressed by the level of I.Q. which pervades this community. Kudos!

[The following are all from Steam]

SC - So, far I have only been able to drop and pick up seal teams (took three tries) and wiggle through an ice maze (courtesy of "Truth"). I also tried using the Auto-Crew, with the Halifax thingy, but I must not have used it right because it caused more problems than without it.

DW - I can't get it to run, but waaaay over my head even if I could.

SH3 - At least I can enjoy the view from the Bridge, but no success.

SH4 - Can't get it to run yet.

SH5 - Runs great, but easily become overwhelmed.

The odd thing about all this is I own and know how to use a real sextant and I can navigate in real life, but I don't seem capable of translating those skills to the sub sims. I have spent many, many hours reading through the threads and the links and only get more confused.

So, can anyone recommend a sub sim(s) which are more than just an arcade game, but not quite a realistic simulation? I hope this make sense?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-19, 07:32 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

All of us got our tails kicked at first.

There aren't many people who were born on a submarine and it takes some time to figure out what's going on and what's important.

So, give yourself some time.
There's nothing wrong with playing the same mission until you get it right.
At least, I've heard that's how some people do it.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-19, 07:46 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

They are all difficult in their own ways. And depending on the genre the tactics change too!

Modern sims are very complicated, while WW2 sims are old school complicated with math and techniques.

Modern sims take away the math, but require the finesse of maneuvers and timing.

WW2 sims dump math on you, and require setting up a desired position to ambush from. Mostly preparation!

Which do you prefer?

I have lots of videos for the SH3-5 series if you need them. Many other members have them too!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240116
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-19, 07:46 PM   #4
akula65
A-ganger

Downloads: 23

It might pay to go back to DOS era sims/games since those were more constrained by various factors including available computational power, graphics, etc. So consider the original Silent Hunter, Aces of the Deep and perhaps go even further back.

DOSBox will be your friend.
akula65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 08:13 AM   #5
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42

Have you looked at Cold Waters by Killerfish? My understanding is that it incorporates a lot of modern sub concepts, but it is generally a commander level game, i.e. you give the orders and the electronic crew does all the detailed work.
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 09:26 AM   #6
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

I really do wish it was just a matter of allowing more time, but I have been trying off and on for a long time, since the original release of SH3. I still have the original software media somewhere. In reading the threads I have been impressed with how many here "think" like a submarine commander. As much as I have tried, I do not think in that way by comparison. Frankly, it has become harder to think through any process recently.

The good news is I will continue to sail with the sims for the shear pleasure of being on the virtual seas. If I see smoke on the horizon, I will hide underwater until they pass. I will continue to try and translate my real world navigation skills in SH5 (there has to be a way) as well as look into the various suggestions.
Old 03-16-19, 05:45 PM   #7
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My gimpy noodle is playing nice for now, so I'll try and catch up....

@ET2SN
Again, thanks for the encouragement. I'm really not into missions or combat, but I do like pushing my chances to see how close I can sneak up on the ships without getting deep-sixed.

@bstanko
My favorite will always be those sims which allow me to use my RL experience in practicing CelNav.

@akula65
Not a bad suggestion. Thanks.

@Mike
I checked out Cold Waters, but I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Folks, it seems like my brain is acting well at present and the struggles I have been having trying to understand have evaporated for the present. I decided to give the TWoS, "Real Navigation" a try and have been very pleased so far. I need to do a trans-Atlantic voyage to the United States before I can say for sure.

Again, thank you to everyone for the help, suggestions and encouragement.
Old 03-16-19, 06:58 PM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

I fill the same because if i knew basics of quantum phisics (as you know celestial navigation) i don't need to spend time for learning some stupid things like games. I cannot decide which game is best for me because all of them have some compromises - not like celestial navigation or quantum phisics.

Im glad there are some proud people like me.

So you should play bingo while standing on one leg - a good compromise between simulation and arcade games. Not to much "stupid" things to learn and needs some talent
Old 03-17-19, 01:48 AM   #9
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi p7p8, thanks for the comment. Standing on one leg would probably not be a good talent on a submarine (especially in a crash dive or emergency blow), but BINGO might be appropriate since surviving a career in the Silent Service would be just about equal to to the odds of winning BINGO. LOL
Old 03-17-19, 05:55 AM   #10
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Maintaining balance is good skill on every ship or submarine. Maybe not during crash dive or emergencu blow - the same like celestial navigation is useless in these situations.
Old 03-17-19, 08:52 PM   #11
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

just take your time even read books about subs even start at a easier level and work your way up
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 12:43 AM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

dlgamehay!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arcade, non-combat