SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-16, 10:50 AM   #1
Blackhorse11ACR2003
Swabbie

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 Mega Battles

I've been away from Silent Hunter for quite some time and picking up on some of the mega mods that are out there. Are there any mods out there that can be added to Silent Hunter 4 which you can watch both the Imperial Navy and the US Navy duking it out in naval engagements and assist? I was thinking participating in the Battle of Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf would be examples of assisting the US Navy in engaging surface ships from a distance....
Blackhorse11ACR2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-16, 09:12 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse11ACR2003 View Post
I've been away from Silent Hunter for quite some time and picking up on some of the mega mods that are out there. Are there any mods out there that can be added to Silent Hunter 4 which you can watch both the Imperial Navy and the US Navy duking it out in naval engagements and assist? I was thinking participating in the Battle of Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf would be examples of assisting the US Navy in engaging surface ships from a distance....
Using TMO2.5 plus RSRDC I've witnessed several large engagements off Savo Island near Guadalcanal. I've also interfered with them by being in a position to attack IJN forces before the Allied ships engage them. It was fun!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-16, 06:26 PM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse11ACR2003 View Post
Like torpedobait has mentioned TMOis probably your best bet. I've participated in the Battle of Leyte Gulf, it certainly was a blast.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 05:01 PM   #4
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391

Actually, I believe it is RSRDC which provides a great deal of the historical japanese shipping in the theatre (both merchant and naval). It includes all major battles and many lesser known actions, as well as all known historical convoys. The mod is available for stock, RFB and TMO

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 07:46 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Morgan View Post
Actually, I believe it is RSRDC which provides a great deal of the historical japanese shipping in the theatre (both merchant and naval). It includes all major battles and many lesser known actions, as well as all known historical convoys. The mod is available for stock, RFB and TMO
And if the war were to be fought again major battles and lesser known actions would all be different and in different places. Convoys would be of different ships and not traveling at the same time and to the same destinations as expected. That's what reality looked like in real time.

Our "historical" mod is nothing of the kind. It's just history in a straitjacket, a comedy, a farce. There is no reality there. Reality was unpredictable. It was two opponents dynamically dancing together in a dance of death, thrusting and parrying on the spur of the moment, changing plans even as they were executed. Anything short of that is not historical but just stuck in a rut.

In RSRDC the Japanese center group enters the area where Taffy 3 beat them up. But Taffy 3 doesn't beat them up. The Japanese fleet just turns around and quits the area for no apparent reason other than 75 years ago they met a different fate. History in a straitjacket is a farce.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 03:49 PM   #6
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391

I like having some accommodation to history in the game. I don't see it as a straight jacket. I obey orders and carry out my assigned patrols - like it or not. I also stay on station until I get another assignment, so I never get to see the big battles (Orders - now there's a straight jacket for you).

That said, I do have a pretty poor knowledge of the Pacific campaign, so RSRDC isn't going to spoil anything for me. I'd be as surprised as anybody if I ran into a big fleet in the Coral sea in May of '42. I happen to like RSRDC because when I do encounter a memorable target, I can look it up later and often find out just what the hell that was all about. Someday I'll grow out of it. For those who actually know the history well, I can see how devotion to historical facts might seem a straight jacket.

Last edited by Capt. Morgan; 08-29-16 at 04:03 PM.
Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote