SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-14, 08:04 PM   #1
U-45 VIIB
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default Help from the Luftwaffe?

Is it possible to receive help from Luftwaffe? Like when attacking conveys, I got GWX gold or does this need another mod? I report conveys but bdu always says all other assets are otherwise committed and do not wait for reinforcements. Just curious thanks!
U-45 VIIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:28 AM   #2
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

I have seen it also, though in many years of playing I think I've only gotten help maybe 3 times.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 03:24 AM   #3
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

I do not know a thing about this feature, but logic suggest me that an airplane could potentially be sent if it is in range of a "valid spawn point" like: an Axis city in range of your contact's location or a KM airplane carrier in a similar position. I think this is the logic because I red somewhere (gwx related thread or gwx user manual) that in GWX airplanes and warships just do not spawn out-of-the-blue (for example when a HK group is sent against you if you are detected) but in enemy port/cities (I'm not sure about airplane carriers, but it does make sense, for me).
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 11:19 AM   #4
Schöneboom
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 36

Ciao,

banryu79 has it right. To my knowledge there's no mod to ensure Luftwaffe attacks by your sending a contact report (I doubt interservice cooperation was that good except on a few occasions). Your targets just have to be within range of a German airbase, and if you're lucky, they will attack. I've witnessed this in GWX, for ex., in the Med, as the Luftwaffe had bases on Sicily.

Gute Jagd!

Dietrich Schöneboom, U-431
"Es wird klappen, Herr Kaleun. Ganz sicher."
Schöneboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:01 PM   #5
storm-petrel
Mate

Downloads: 113

Hi...many moons ago I saw a large cargo get bombed by a ****e-Wulf BEFORE I had engaged it. This happened close to the south-east coast of England. There was a lot of smoke but the cargo continued into my path and I sank her.

No idea what triggered this Luftwaffe attack though
storm-petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 03:27 PM   #6
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

I was attacking Malta once, and we got an aircraft warning. I was about to dive and see what happens next, when all of a sudden, the planes start dropping bombs on the harbour. Taking a closer look, they were a flight of Ju-88s! They damaged some ships for us, which I was later able to finish off (this was the patrol that killed 2 of my crew), so I'm thankful for that much. But that so far was the only time I had ever seen the luftwaffe do, well, *anything*.
Old 07-24-14, 06:57 PM   #7
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47

Many many moons ago, some Luftwaffe came in and shot up some targets. Couldn't tell you on a bet when and where, though.... though something says "Norway Campaign, April 40".
Old 07-24-14, 08:52 PM   #8
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

If you send a contact report, and a Luftwaffe base is within range of said contact, they might come and attack it if you haven't already sank it.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 02:14 AM   #9
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

In early 1943, I was engaging a Norwegian coastal vessel about 70 kilometers out from Trondhiem. A few minutes into the attack, two Bf. 110s showed up with no warning, and I hadn't sent a report. I personally think it's just hit and miss with the Luftwaffe.

Goering is quite the cranky old man when it comes to German airpower. I've sent contaqct reports of large convoys off of occupied France, early war, and recieved no help at all. In fact, the aforementioned incident has been the only time I've seen friendly aircraft on patrol, not including those when you are in base.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 03:50 PM   #10
Ahnenerbe
Soundman

Downloads: 80

It's a fact, the enemy must be within coverage airbase aircraft can appear without sending a message, it happens sometimes (maybe patrol somewhere nearby), but the proximity of the base is required. Can serve as an airbase and vessel, which is the plane that is registered in cfg to this ship. You can check this in the mission editor.

Happy hunting!!

Ahnenerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 04:47 AM   #11
jreid666
Helmsman

Downloads: 296

I had the Luftwaffe steal my convoy from me before so they can stick to flying above land.

Thread:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=208101
jreid666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 06:20 AM   #12
Otto Fuhrmann
Helmsman

Downloads: 57

Happened once whilst I was sneaking around by Scapa Flow. Luftwaffe aircraft came in and attacked vessels docked in and around the port. As nice as it was to witness, it was much to my displeasure as they sank the two vessels I had planned on actually sinking..
Otto Fuhrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 07:58 AM   #13
Ahnenerbe
Soundman

There was a case, funny and ridiculous at the same time ...... Somehow came out from Brest, departed not very far from the base. And then became a member of observing such a situation .... Our boat, Ai 7C U-flac, fiercely fought with the British destroyer, firing anti-aircraft guns. So they chased each other for a while (I was watching from a distance of about 7-8 km), and of course I decided to help our Ai U-boat. And then out of nowhere came down several BV138.... Final obvious, destroyer sunk.
Are likely to have coincided scripts campaign, perhaps somewhere random load.

Ahnenerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 06:44 AM   #14
Otto Fuhrmann
Helmsman

Downloads: 57

Yeah, I think it is definitely scripted, because I only ever really see them flying around when something important is happening, Like the invasion of Norway or something similar.
Otto Fuhrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 09:52 AM   #15
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Early war off the English coast. I was being hunted by two destroyers in water that was none too deep when I heard explosions and gunfire above. Turns out it was a flight of Ju-88's which failed to sink the ships, but allowed me to move some distance away.

As the destroyers began to hunt again a flight of STUKA's came and finished them off.

We sent a case of (virtual) champagne to the squadron.

Salute !!
AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote