SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-08, 11:10 AM   #1
schnorchel
Soundman

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
5 torpedos to sink a medium cargo

Hi folks,

I have not play the SH3 for a long time until the GWX2.0 released. After install of the GWX I load the torpedo training mission. What makes me frustrated is to sink a medium cargo needs 5 torpedos. All of them roughly hit the middle section of the ship and explode beneath the keel. I wonder how could it be? Does anyone know some MOD can change the cargo ships vulnerability? Thanks!
schnorchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:15 AM   #2
Sigurd
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 4

Welcome Herr Keleun

GWX changes the focus of sinking ships from simply destroying them to damage through flooding. I.E. it may have taken 5 torpedoes to blow the thing to kingdom come, but you should really only need one or two to do enough damage to flood the thing. It takes some getting used to, but you'll get it eventually.
Sigurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:22 AM   #3
Zakalwe
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

Yup,

first it could last longer till a ships sinks, somwtimes over 1 hour.

Second, aim at different points of the ship to open more compartments for flooding. Shooting at same place doesn`t work well in GWX.

I mostly put the first eel into the bow of the ship (around halfways between bow and bridge). If this isn`t enough, a second torp into the stern.

Greets

Z.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:28 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome aboard Kaleun schnorchel.....causing damage to different compartments is a better option. Also allow time for the flooding to take effect

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 11:31 AM   #5
Sigurd
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe
I mostly put the first eel into the bow of the ship (around halfways between bow and bridge). If this isn`t enough, a second torp into the stern.
I usually follow a different tactic in my patrols, especially if I see convoys. I try to hit near the stern first (where I estimate the engine room to be), so they slow down or stop, to make easy pickings later. If it is a convoy, then all I need to do is dodge the destroyers, and when they leave, I have a few merchants and tankers ready to be picked off.
Old 01-15-08, 11:32 AM   #6
schnorchel
Soundman

Hi all,

Thank u very much for ur quick reply. And in addition sorry for my poor english. The 5 torpedo really hit the the different place of the ship. I mean the 5 big hole line up at the middle section of the bottom of ship. And after the 4th torpedo hit her I wait 24 hours. but nothing happened exept the top of shipboard is more close to the sea surface. That is weird
Old 01-15-08, 11:35 AM   #7
Sigurd
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnorchel
Hi all,

Thank u very much for ur quick reply. And in addition sorry for my poor english. The 5 torpedo really hit the the different place of the ship. I mean the 5 big hole line up at the middle section of the bottom of ship. And after the 4th torpedo hit her I wait 24 hours. but nothing happened exept the top of shipboard is more close to the sea surface. That is weird
Hmm, that is a bit strange. Did you fire a salvo, or was it a single shot?
Old 01-15-08, 11:39 AM   #8
schnorchel
Soundman

only fire 1 torpedo once.
Old 01-15-08, 11:46 AM   #9
Sigurd
Electrician's Mate

Hmm, my guess then is that you didnt give the torpedoes enough room to deal severe enough damage to the ship (although one would think that four is enough to blow half the hull off). Depending on where they all it, it might have just been four concentrated explosions, as opposed to a group of four spread out under the keel or hull.

Also, depending on what your angle was when you fired (if you used magnetic torpedoes, but I'm going to guess that you used inpact), your shots might have gone under the keel, and then exploded, which doesnt yeild as much damage.
Old 01-15-08, 11:49 AM   #10
panzer 49th
Weps

Downloads: 5
5 torpedos to sink a medium cargo? that is weird even with GWX
Old 01-15-08, 12:01 PM   #11
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
Welcome Herr Kaluen,

One to two eels is all you really need for most merchant vessels then just hang around and watch the speed drop 6knots...5....4...3...2...1.. Glub! Glub!

Some bigger ships may require more...

"Only if I can save first..."
Hanomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 12:08 PM   #12
schnorchel
Soundman

Sigurd,

I do use megnatic. all of this 5 torpedo are megnatic. But some torpedo do not explode just under the central line of the keel but pass by it and explode on the other side of the ship. but oerall it still very close to the central line. the torpedos depth setting is 1 meter deeper than the ships draft. But via the external view I can see the torpedo is very close to the kneel. I think maybe this is because in history early germany torpedo has depth setting problem.
Old 01-15-08, 12:18 PM   #13
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10
That reminds me one patrol when i first got SH3 (stock no mods).
I found a lone C3 and decided to engage with torpedoes because of the stormy weather. From a distance of about 700m and AOB 90 degrees i fired 2 torps aiming for the middle of the ship with the pistol set for impact of course.Both struck it and it got on fire so i waited for it to sink but nothing so i launched another torp and still no kill at the end it sunk after 5 hits. I got mad spending 5 torps for a C3 and reloaded my last save.
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 12:19 PM   #14
Sigurd
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Sigurd,

I do use megnatic. all of this 5 torpedo are megnatic. But some torpedo do not explode just under the central line of the keel but pass by it and explode on the other side of the ship. but oerall it still very close to the central line. the torpedos depth setting is 1 meter deeper than the ships draft. But via the external view I can see the torpedo is very close to the kneel. I think maybe this is because in history early germany torpedo has depth setting problem.
Ok, I think I see the problem then. From what youre describing, you were near an AOB of 90 degrees (i'm guessing), so since you were using Magnetics, they passed completely under the keel before exploding, and only did minimal damage, since they didnt fully explode under the ship (the explosion would be sent away from the ship, and probably only catch a small portion of the keel). Since you didnt do as much damage to ship, it took more to damage enough to sink.

I've had it happen a few times to me (including on a large tanker in poor weather with no more torpedoes). AOBs near 90 degrees are better treated with shots hitting the hull of the ship, rather then going under the keel (which are better left to poor AOBs). The reasoning is that the magnetic torpedoes need to sense the metal above it. If you give it only 1.5m, it will arm and detonate after it has moved out from under the keel. If I were to venture a rough guess, I'd say AOBs greater then about... 70 or so should be Impact (or hitting the hull). Less then 70 should be Magnetic. If any more experienced players have better results, please post them.
Old 01-15-08, 12:27 PM   #15
schnorchel
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd
Quote:
Sigurd,

Ok, I think I see the problem then. From what youre describing, you were near an AOB of 90 degrees (i'm guessing), so since you were using Magnetics, they passed completely under the keel before exploding, and only did minimal damage, since they didnt fully explode under the ship (the explosion would be sent away from the ship, and probably only catch a small portion of the keel). Since you didnt do as much damage to ship, it took more to damage enough to sink.

I've had it happen a few times to me (including on a large tanker in poor weather with no more torpedoes). AOBs near 90 degrees are better treated with shots hitting the hull of the ship, rather then going under the keel (which are better left to poor AOBs). The reasoning is that the magnetic torpedoes need to sense the metal above it. If you give it only 1.5m, it will arm and detonate after it has moved out from under the keel. If I were to venture a rough guess, I'd say AOBs greater then about... 70 or so should be Impact (or hitting the hull). Less then 70 should be Magnetic. If any more experienced players have better results, please post them.

Ok! Thanks for you comments. I will try the way just as you advised. Need to go to bed now 1:30 AM at my location.