SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-14, 01:56 PM   #1
krautjacket
Seaman

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Problems...

So, I've got a steam copy of the game, downloaded GWX by torrent (But not sure if I should now use the version available after donating), and downloaded the OLC mkIIc mod, and was trying to get to grips with that.

I don't seem to have many controls available, such as the speed indicator or compass on the left of the screen, also I can't find how to change the resolution, as I'm left with a 4:3 display size instead of something like 16:9.

Any advice as to get to grips with it? I can't remember sadly the mods I used to use, though I think it might just have been GMX with regards to the display. I also didn't seem to have any grey wolves loading screens, which I seem to remember happening in the past

Handelsschiffen gesunken:
Kriegsschiffen gesunken:
Tonnen:
Patrouillen: ( Seetage)

krautjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 03:11 PM   #2
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Quote:
I don't seem to have many controls available, such as the speed indicator or compass on the left of the screen, also I can't find how to change the resolution, as I'm left with a 4:3 display size instead of something like 16:9.
I use the HiRes mod, but it eliminates the ability to take screen shots. If you try, you crash to desktop.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 03:18 PM   #3
krautjacket
Seaman

I'm not bothered about screenshots in particular, just want to get the game up and running really! Still trying to find out what I used to use.. GWX, SH3 commander, MaGui maybe, and a few things to add stuff like flags, lit-up flags etc.

Kriegsschiffen gesunken:
Tonnen:

Old 07-25-14, 04:28 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautjacket View Post
So, I've got a steam copy of the game, downloaded GWX by torrent (But not sure if I should now use the version available after donating),
If you downloaded it from the GWX website you should be fine. I usually recommend Jimbuna's copy from the link in his sig, but I'm told the GWX site copy was updated some time ago and should be safe.
Old 07-25-14, 04:39 PM   #5
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 56

Quote:
So, I've got a steam copy of the game, downloaded GWX by torrent (But not sure if I should now use the version available after donating), and downloaded the OLC mkIIc mod, and was trying to get to grips with that.

Any advice as to get to grips with it? I can't remember sadly the mods I used to use, though I think it might just have been GMX with regards to the display. I also didn't seem to have any grey wolves loading screens, which I seem to remember happening in the past

Couple things Kaleun,

I downloaded piece by piece GWX 3.0 Gold back in march and have been using it fine since on a steam copy of SH3, just FYI no problems there with it in case you were wonering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "controls being available or not". Do you mean they look like they should be there but aren't? The GUI mod you are using could be corrupted, I encountered that problem before.

As far as resolution, I am fairly certain there is a rez fix located in DL section of subsim. Otherwise you can probably google it.

Also the mod to make flags lighter is Flags_enlighten I believe, I would check Maik's mod archive for it. There is a sticky for it in the SH3 Mod Subforum

Hope this helps
Nukesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 04:51 PM   #6
krautjacket
Seaman

Thanks Nukesub!

I decided that as i hadn't actually started any patrols yet apart from a couple of tests, I'd try and start afresh, so am downloading GWX now after having installed the steam version again - a quick question, should I install GWX before absolutely everything else, including stuff like JGSME and SH3 Commander?

Kriegsschiffen gesunken:
Tonnen:

Old 07-25-14, 07:06 PM   #7
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Thanks Nukesub!

I decided that as i hadn't actually started any patrols yet apart from a couple of tests, I'd try and start afresh, so am downloading GWX now after having installed the steam version again - a quick question, should I install GWX before absolutely everything else, including stuff like JGSME and SH3 Commander?
If memory serves, you install GWX first. I believe JSGME is installed along with it, at least thats how I remember it.

Then after that, install SH3 Commander and then the GWX 3 patch for SH3 commander.

Also if you had Silent hunter 3 on that machine before I think you needed to remove any trace of it from the registry for GWX 3 to install correctly. In the past when I have done re-installations I use CCleaner to clean up any registry stuff left over from a previous install

One last thing, make sure when you install GWX3 your install file path is setup correctly
Old 07-26-14, 08:19 AM   #8
krautjacket
Seaman

Just been through deleting all the old folders for it etc, now booted it up after reinstalling SH3 and GWX, seems to be working, just wanted to check that before adding anything else. Now to start getting my sea legs back!

Kriegsschiffen gesunken:
Tonnen:

Old 07-26-14, 08:41 AM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The copy of JSGME that comes with GWX is an older version. You can get the latest version here.

SH3 Commander is a stand-alone tool that runs SH3 from the outside, and doesn't care if you install it first or last.
Old 07-26-14, 10:21 AM   #10
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The copy of JSGME that comes with GWX is an older version. You can get the latest version here.

SH3 Commander is a stand-alone tool that runs SH3 from the outside, and doesn't care if you install it first or last.
How will that affect my current mods that were installed with the GWX JSGME, if at all. I've always just used the version that came with GWX 3.0 Gold, didn't even know there was an update

Is there a place to view the changelog?

Thanks o7
Old 07-26-14, 11:17 AM   #11
krautjacket
Seaman

Just updated it. However, I noticed that when I tried to start a campaign with the 7th/13th from Wilhelmshaven in VIIbs in august 39, using Commander, whilst the fleet stays as the 7th/13th, it offers the choice of kiel or wilhelmshaven, and if I choose wilhelmshaven it will only give me a IIA...

*Edit* - just checked SH3 commander before starting, by starting it over, and now I have only fleets Weddingen and Wegener available, with either 'IIA' or '(Blank)' available... this doesn't seem right to me, any help?

Kriegsschiffen gesunken:
Tonnen: