Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-19, 07:57 AM   #1
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0
Default Trouble with FPS

Hello, I've been playing with Wolves of Steel for some time now. I got no problems whatsoever but stopped playing for a while.

Today I retried it again, but I had no voices and a terrible FPS. Maybe it's my NVIDIA driver? (425.31)? I have made a clean install, but the problem doesn't seem to go away, even with a clean install, the voices disapear and I have 10 FPS on vanilla...

Could someone help me?

Thanks!
Tolkemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-19, 08:13 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi T
I have not had the problem with no sound at all but I have had a sound problem where the telegraph speed is changed and the order is not spoken to confirm the change.
Using the Esc key when on the bridge and reloading the game clears the problem.

As long as your game loads with your current driver that should not be the problem.
Make sure your gpu is setup correctly.
Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial

Please post your mod list
JSGME How To Export Your Mod List To A Subsim Post > Pictorial

I am inclined to think that you may have one or more programs running in the background.
If you know what fps you previously had have there been any other changes since?
I also recommend you do this.
How To Run The SH5.exe As Administrator > Pictorial
PEter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-19, 08:58 AM   #3
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have any programs running on the background, only Uplay

The crew voices and other sound effects are missing, like running deaf, my FPS go from 150 in the main screen to 2-3 at the bunker scene, so It's unplayable now. I used to play it all right (didn't have to check the FPS because it ran allright). I have forced the use of my NVIDIA card, but maybe the game is still using the integrated one?

I don't have the optioin you to adjust the display ratio

Here are my mods: fresh install of Wolves of Steel 2.2.11

TWoS Encrypted BdU orders
TWoS Real Navigation
TWoS Remove Sub Flags

EDIT: I tried a lower screen resolution and LOW graphic settings, to no avail. Once the game begins (bunker scene or on the sub), the FPS sink down to 3-8 making the game unplayable. Also, crew and special sound effects are gone. I am at a loss. I have a Gtx 1070, if that's of any help.

Last edited by Tolkemec; 04-20-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-20-19, 10:09 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

OP, do you ALT-TAB out of the game? Then you may have any sort of glitches , also sound problems. In this case, save/reload the campaign.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-19, 10:12 AM   #5
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Hi, thanks.
No, no ALT-TAB, I am a long time SH5 player! The problem is that in this very PC (alienware r4, gtx 1070), sh5+TWoS (a previous version) worked OK! But suddenly, this problem comes out of nowhere...
Really, I have waisted more time putting SH5 in a playable state than actually playing it. So this problem is VERY new to me, I am pretty desperate.
Old 04-20-19, 10:23 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkemec View Post
Hi, thanks.
No, no ALT-TAB, I am a long time SH5 player! The problem is that in this very PC (alienware r4, gtx 1070), sh5+TWoS (a previous version) worked OK! But suddenly, this problem comes out of nowhere...
Really, I have waisted more time putting SH5 in a playable state than actually playing it. So this problem is VERY new to me, I am pretty desperate.

What I would do is going in the game options again and saving them, especially this would be necessary if you made any changes to your hardware like GPU or sound device. Also check your plugins for the sound, sometimes really stupid things can cause trouble
Old 04-20-19, 11:39 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER

Hi T
GTX1070 would appear to be a 8gb gpu so not sure why you do not have a Nvidea control Panel where you can make adjustments and check your gpu settings.

Did you check the stock game before installing TWoS?

It would be worth trying to uninstall SH5 and run a registry cleaner.

Reinstall SH5 and make a copy of it and rename it.

Install MultiSH5 in the copy and give it a new 3 digit saved game name.
You Can Have More Than 1 Silent Hunter 5 Game By Using the MultSH5 Application > Pictorial
Multiple Silent Hunter 5 Installs [S5M]_MULTiSH5 By BL!TZKE!EG

Add JSGME then this
Career History CFG File Why You Need To Make A Copy Of It > Pictorial

Test the stock game

Now add this mod to JSGME and test againTDW's NewUi 7-5-0 version 18 Installing It Correctly > Pictorial > Includes Download Link

Peter
Old 04-20-19, 11:59 AM   #8
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Thanks Mate, I've been clean-installing SH5 all day long. The problem with FPS and Sound appears in stock vanilla, right away, version 1.0 and 1.2. I reckon the sound part must be my own problem, messing arround with something (although I really can't imagine what).

I have tried to downgrade my drivers, to no avail. No music, no sound in vanilla. No sound in TWoS. FPS 4-6 at bunker.

I really am desperate now, because it makes no sense at all.
Old 04-20-19, 12:04 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Thanks Mate, I've been clean-installing SH5 all day long. The problem with FPS and Sound appears in stock vanilla, right away, version 1.0 and 1.2. I reckon the sound part must be my own problem, messing arround with something (although I really can't imagine what).

I have tried to downgrade my drivers, to no avail. No music, no sound in vanilla. No sound in TWoS. FPS 4-6 at bunker.

I really am desperate now, because it makes no sense at all.

What you say means IMO that it's not only SH5 related, but your sound config on your OS is the wrong one. You can check that in START > System > Hardware and Sound > open your sound config
Change the settings and be sure to set the device to 'standard'.

Or/And:

Go in the Device Manager of Windows and see if there are red or yellow entries (enable all hidden devices in the menu). Such entries need correction.
Old 04-20-19, 12:17 PM   #10
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Thanks, the problem is that I cannot play the damned game. I am stuck at 5 FPS, nothing I can do about it. It seems I cannot force the gxt 1070 to work on SH5.

It's also very disconcerting because I got no music in vanilla, but I do with TWoS. Sound effects and voices are a no-go. FPS no go.

Last edited by Tolkemec; 04-20-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 02:51 PM   #11
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Thanks, the problem is that I cannot play the damned game. I am stuck at 5 FPS, nothing I can do about it. It seems I cannot force the gxt 1070 to work on SH5.

It's also very disconcerting because I got no music in vanilla, but I do with TWoS. Sound effects and voices are a no-go. FPS no go.

Go in the nVidia Control Panel, ensure that all is at default values. Then, change the scaling options 'Fullscreen' with 'Display'. Then, if you still you have trouble change the scaling to 'Fullscreen with GPU' and enable the below checkbox 'disable the in-game scaling settings'.
Set the game shortcut to admin mode.
Old 04-20-19, 03:14 PM   #12
THEBERBSTER

Hi T
It is important that this is done straight away.
Update SH5 From v1.0.5.0 To v1.2.0 Immediately After Installing > Pictorial
I mean't to say that when installing multiple game copies the copy must be updated to v1.2. from the original first.
Peter
Old 04-20-19, 03:30 PM   #13
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Here is my Nvidia Control Panel... with driver 425.31

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/4730/xgOb8X.png

Thanks for your help.

@THEBERBSTER, I only have 1 installation (well, now I just have unistalled it, because I think this game beat me already). I have also bought a steam copy to see if it worked on another platform, but to no avail, I also couldn't hear music or sounds, and updating it to 1.2 it's impossible for my computing skills. So I asked for a refund.
Old 04-20-19, 03:38 PM   #14
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Here is my Nvidia Control Panel... with driver 425.31

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/4730/xgOb8X.png

Thanks for your help.

Just to repeat and clarify what Peter 'THEBERBSTER' said above, it's really important:
If you did install TWoS over a SH5 game which was not 1.2.0, then you have big trouble...
Unfortunately, TWoS may install over any SH5 version, and you will read anyway 1.2.0 on the upper right, but that may be WRONG !

As a last ressort, de-install your whole thing, re-install the game and then, make sure you update it to 1.2.0 - just before installing TWoS, launch the game and go look in the main menu that you read 1.2.0 on the upper right. Quit and install TWOS.
Old 04-20-19, 03:53 PM   #15
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Thanks, I did install TWoS over an updated 1.2 version. I have lost count of how many times I have installed the damned thing in my life (today at least 3 times). The problem is not TWoS, but has something to do with 1) the driver, (because it is impossible that the game is using my Gtx 1070 and giving me 4 FPS at the bunker), and 2) my sound device.

I haven't been able to fix anyone of those two problems. It is the first time this game beats me, but I can endure it no more.

Thanks anyway for your help.

If anyone here has a gtx 1070 and can give me some clues about which driver should I use, and which configuration to use, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks everybody.