SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-19, 01:30 PM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Non-Combat Sims, Scenarios & Mods

[DISCLAIMER]
I have been a member of this fine community since mid-2017 and I still don't get this whole "mod" thing. Call me dense, dumb or even stupid, but pretending I "get it" will never let me be anything other than dense, dumb or even stupid. LOL
[/DISCLAIMER]

The above is a general statement of my neophyte status amongst you seasoned skippers (and I do need some hand-holding), but the main point of this thread is to ask you fine people for links or directions to any/all of the non-combat opportunities in the submarine simulations. I have...
  • 688(I) HUNTER KILLER
  • SUB COMMAND
  • SH3-SH5
  • DANGEROUS WATERS
...but, I am not opposed to adding to the list if necessary.

I do like the cat-and-mouse of matching wits with an A.I. skipper, but I enjoy just getting from Point A to Point B using my navigation skills more. Arriving at the planned destination at the calculated ETA and actually seeing the desired harbor or inlet through the periscope gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

Please post back with any resources, downloads, opportunities, etc.

Thank you.
Old 03-09-19, 03:30 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
[DISCLAIMER]
I have been a member of this fine community since mid-2017 and I still don't get this whole "mod" thing. Call me dense, dumb or even stupid, but pretending I "get it" will never let me be anything other than dense, dumb or even stupid. LOL
[/DISCLAIMER]
The above is a general statement of my neophyte status amongst you seasoned skippers (and I do need some hand-holding),
Please post back with any resources, downloads, opportunities, etc.

Thank you.
never fear.... u r in good company! real men don't 'mod' anyhow

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 04:18 PM   #3
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Sub command and dangerous waters are probably the best two of the list when you make your own mission.

if you want non combat why not try ship simulator

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 08:03 PM   #4
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
... real men don't 'mod' anyhow

Thank you for the post and kind thoughts, but I don't understand? I had the impression that mods were a positive thing around here. I have yet to successfully install any mod where I didn't make things worse, so maybe I need to follow this?
Old 03-09-19, 08:07 PM   #5
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Sub command and dangerous waters are probably the best two of the list when you make your own mission.

if you want non combat why not try ship simulator

Thank you for your reply. I will have to look into making my own mods, but I haven't been too successful with the already-done-did mods.

Which ship simulator are you referring to? I was not aware there was a usable submarine available.
Old 03-09-19, 11:54 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Find a mission for SC or DW called "We Dive At Dawn" by Bill Nichols.

Edit it a bit to turn it into a standard departure/maneuvering watch.
Edit it again in reverse to simulate entering a port.

There are other ports in SC/DW you can drive into (Norfolk, Yokosuka, etc.) accurately. You'll just need to add the piers and buildings. The downside to SC/DW is crash detection, you literally cannot dock to the pier without damage.

I get what you're up to.
The maneuvering watch looks boring but its one the riskier things that ships do. Which ships have the right of way? When does that right of way not matter?
Think of it this way, you're not going to get the keys to a warship before you can prove you know how to drive it. That includes getting underway without running aground and coming home without plowing into the pier.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 03:46 PM   #7
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Find a mission for SC or DW called "We Dive At Dawn" by Bill Nichols.

Edit it a bit to turn it into a standard departure/maneuvering watch.
Edit it again in reverse to simulate entering a port.

There are other ports in SC/DW you can drive into (Norfolk, Yokosuka, etc.) accurately. You'll just need to add the piers and buildings. The downside to SC/DW is crash detection, you literally cannot dock to the pier without damage.

Thanks, but where do I look? I looked in the SC missions, but not found. I'm not sure where to go from here.
Old 03-10-19, 04:02 PM   #8
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Mods are what you make of them. They can fix things, better things, make things difficult, or just make you feel better.

Whatever you wish to do with mods, do it with purpose. Don't mod just to mod.

I am an immersion player so I mod to be as accurate as possible, or as life like as possible.

Good luck to you. And have Fun!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 09:47 PM   #9
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
Thanks, but where do I look? I looked in the SC missions, but not found. I'm not sure where to go from here.
The easy way is to google subguru.com .
Find the mission downloads and save the ones you want.
Just be aware that some missions are meant for different mods of the game (stock or LWAMI in Bill's case).
We Dive At Dawn should work with most of the DW and SC game mods out there. Be sure to download the right version for your game.
You can really max out the eye candy with the RA mod, btw. You'll just need to edit the mission and add some of the newer platforms plus things like buildings and light houses on the shore (RA has its issues but it also has a lot more things to choose from).

Otherwise, if you want to try something with a challenge, create a mission where you're off the coast of Washington state and drive inland to Bremerton/Seattle on the staits of Juan De Fuca.
I have already created this mission if you want it, just PM me with an e-mail addy and I'll send it to you. Just let me know how you have DW or SC set up (stock, LWAMI, RA, SCX,, etc.).

BTW, a couple of years ago I did a thread in one of the DW forums that listed navy base locations for different countries. Find that thread, highlight the list and then copy it to a text file so you can make your own missions.

EDIT- Or, just go here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233871

Last edited by ET2SN; 03-10-19 at 10:02 PM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 05:39 PM   #10
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you all very much for your help and guidance.

Perhaps I am trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole by thinking there is one single, comprehensive "best" mod? Is there one? If not, then I will need to define what I really want and go from there.

Standing by...

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 03-13-19 at 08:39 AM.

Tags
non-combat